PDA

View Full Version : Klein Direct Fit

rpm
05-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Hearing about the revival of Klein bikes made me think about the old Klein direct fit system.

http://archive.kleinbikes.com/us/cross_reference/index.html

"Direct Fit measures the distance between one’s hand position on the handlebars to the center of the bottom bracket. Once you have this measurement, record it. It will never change no matter what bike you are on; no matter what position you are in throughout the pedal stroke. This distance remains a constant, on or off the saddle.

The included angle created by the Direct Fit line and the horizontal line of the ground helps determine the rider’s desired posture depending on the intended use of the bike. If it’s an acute angle, your back is flatter and your goal is an aggressive road racing posture. As the angle opens, the rider’s posture becomes less aggressive and more relaxed."

Just for kicks, I measured the direct fit line on my four bikes. Lo and behold they were all within .5 cm of each other even though they have different geometries and angles. Even my town bike with the albatross bars was in the same range. It sits me more upright than my dropped-bar bikes, but the direct fit line was the same.

Just curious as to whether any fitters still use this idea.

mosca
05-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I remember this - I always liked the logic of it, especially since the seat position is so easy to adjust while bar position is more difficult. Like many of Klein's ideas, it went against conventional wisdom therefore was not widely accepted.

Any idea if Gary is still involved with the company in any meaningful way?

konstantkarma
05-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Hearing about the revival of Klein bikes made me think about the old Klein direct fit system.

Where did you hear this? I have a Q-Pro, and have always liked Kleins....almost as much as my Serottas ;)

rpm
05-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Where did you hear this? I have a Q-Pro, and have always liked Kleins....almost as much as my Serottas ;)

After the dustup with LeMond, Trek announced it was going to bring back Klein bikes next year, presumably to replace the LeMonds.

ThasFACE
05-28-2008, 09:21 AM
It will never change no matter what bike you are on; no matter what position you are in throughout the pedal stroke. This distance remains a constant, on or off the saddle.

Does this assume that the rider never gets more flexible/etc?

rpm
05-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Does this assume that the rider never gets more flexible/etc?

Sadly, it usually works the other way--you get less flexible as you age. The theory is that the length direct fit line stays the same, but you change the angle it makes with the ground. A tighter angle means you're more stretched out, and a larger angle means you're more upright. I think it means that your arms are always at a comfortable angle with respect to your body (about 90 degrees) but the angle of your back changes. I'm clearly lower on my go fast bike than on my albatross bar town bike, but the direct fit lines on both are nearly the same.

konstantkarma
05-28-2008, 11:24 AM
After the dustup with LeMond, Trek announced it was going to bring back Klein bikes next year, presumably to replace the LeMonds.

Aha. Thanks RPM. Here's a link to the announcement I dug up. Linky (http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/1179.html)

mikki
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Oh, thank you for sharing this. I can make my hubby one happy guy today with it. He LOVES his Klein Q-Pro!!