PDA

View Full Version : Best type of bike for ride in the park with wife and son...

Delpo
05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
My wife expressed an interest in getting a bike so that she might ride with our 7 year old son. For Mother's day I bought her a pretty basic Specialized Mountain Bike and she is getting the hang of it. Guess what, she now wants me to join these fun in the park rides. I would love to do that but do not feel comfortable taking any of my road bikes into that environment. What options do I have? What type of bike will allow me to do the park rides but at the same time add a new tool to my cycling arsenal?

1. Cross bike?
2. SS/Fixed?
3. Give in and buy a cheap mountain bike?
4. Any other?

Thanks to all for your help.

Delpo

Louis
05-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Fixed - you can impress all the other kids by doing track stands and riding backwards. :bike:

Ken Robb
05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
what's wrong with riding the bike you have in the park?

chuckred
05-27-2008, 05:51 PM
why not open up a whole new world? A decent mountain bike adds all kinds of opportunities - assuming you have places to ride off-road. I guess a cross bike would do the same...

Or, just ride your regular bike - why wouldn't you feel comfortable?

maunahaole
05-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a hybrid/commuter bike would be the ticket. Something with relaxed angles, upright seating and fat 700c tires.

DRZRM
05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Fixed road or (following Fixed's lead) fixed MTB. Half the fun is in going slow.

Lifelover
05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
24" BMX bike would be best but a lower end, brand name MTB with a fat padded seat and PLATFORMS would work as well. Keep the tires at 40 PSI. It can also be used with a tag along.

ATMO, You have to make this something totally different than anything else you ride. You need to be in a completely different mind set. When one this you are riding for them. I think if you get a cross bike or even an hybrid you will tend to ride way to fast for them.

sbornia
05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Sounds like a hybrid/commuter bike would be the ticket. Something with relaxed angles, upright seating and fat 700c tires.

Yeah, like a Kona Smoke 2-9 or one of the Dew series. Cool bikes for what they are.

Fixed
05-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Fixed road or (following Fixed's lead) fixed MTB. Half the fun is in going slow.
that is the best imho
that is what i ride when i ride with mrs fixed and jr.
cheers

Pete Serotta
05-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Why not set up one of your existing bikes with 25mm Michelin and go for it. Another option is to use your mountain bike (or get a used one for riding with them.) Sounds like great family fun,

PETE

Dekonick
05-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Ummm

Any bike?

Just make sure you chill and ride S L O W.

Blue Jays
05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Opt for a high-end mountainbike and then you have that hardware available for when you really wish to hit the singletrack trails.
The convenience of SPD pedals will work great in a park environment while tending to the tyke while off-bike. Hey, that rhymed!

sloji
05-27-2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.raincitybikes.com
or
http://www.sagecycles.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BK01AMCL00

for a few ideas outside the box...or in a box if you want to haul your wife and kids together while you work out!

the bakfiets cargobike

shanerpvt
05-27-2008, 10:09 PM
i've been wanting to see if willits would build me a scorcher w/ fender and rack mounts.........either ss/fixed flip flop or nexus hub............dude....ss 29er w/ HUGE wooden fenders and a front rack........that's trick for cruizen with the kiddo.

:beer:

shaner

opps...here is the linkmo:
http://www.willitsbikes.com/Willits.html

RIHans
05-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Current bikes modified...I do it all the time.

Make the one you got work in the place you're in.

malcolm
05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
My wife and I have townie's with 7 speed nexus hubs that we ride with the kids around the neighborhood. Very nice you can put your feet flat on the ground while seated, cushy ride.

David Kirk
05-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I'd ride anything that rolled. Your normal bike, some POS you pick up at a garage sale, a MTB from a pawn shop or your sisters sting ray with tassels coming out of the ends of the ape hanger bars.

I just think it would rock being out with them and that the bike would be completely secondary.......... unless of course your kid can shuck you and then you NEED a Meivici.

Dave

Joel
05-28-2008, 05:41 AM
It's all about the shoes...really!

For the family outings I find that the most important thing is to have on regular shoes (not riding shoes) as it is the other activities around the bike ride that often go on. Or said another way, it's hard to chase the kids, go in the sandbox, run to see the animals in the woods, get an ice cream wearing -as my wife says - duck shoes. And frankly I don't want to wreck my cycling shoes doing that anyway.

So...beyond using something with regular pedals and straps it's sort of whatever I'm in the mood for or whereever we are going. We're not going fast anyway so the point is often rather moot, and just what I feel like riding.

Most times it alternates between three for me

* An old POS Schwinn Hybrid
* Fixie
* Track bike with a pair of bombproof clinchers

The last two tend to be my personal favorites as it is easiest to control speed, back up etc as others have mentioned.

And lastly don't underestimate the sheer fun of tearing across fields on a track bike. Worst thing is that, just like the kids, you get a few grass stains :D

Joel

flickwet
05-28-2008, 07:39 AM
I was kinda in the same boat when my youngest was eight and wanting to ride with me. I built up a Surly 1x1, big tires and fenders too. made riding with him more fun and as he has gotten older more challenging, The Surly 1x1 has become my winter and just chill out bike I really love it and the whole "Surly" thing is fun , I have to ride my cx bike to keep up with my son he's 12 now and loves to ride his tricked out Bridgestone rb-1 in size 48 that I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. None of my kids ever rode crap bikes!

Kevan
05-28-2008, 08:00 AM
switch out the clipless pedals for my MKS and I'm ready to roll. casual-like.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=44094&stc=1

djg
05-28-2008, 08:02 AM
If you want another bike, go for it -- get the thing that's different in the way you think you'd like (fixed gear, mtb, whatever).

If the park route is paved, any bike (including any bike you already have) should do it. For hardpack or really cruddy roads, maybe a tire adjustment. I've ridden alongside my kids, towed kid-trailers, etc., with my road bike, fixed gear, and cross bike at different times -- they all worked fine. The one qualification I'd offer is that for family outings that involve some riding, some helping, some stopping to play, etc., I've found it helpful to use mtb pedals and shoes.