PDA

View Full Version : Course Marshall

rwsaunders
05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
So I volunteered to marshall for the Tour of Pennsylvania, when it winds through Pittsburgh on 29 June. The event of the day (stage 6) is the 50 mile crit, which will be held downtown.

Based on the experience of others, what did I get myself into?

http://www.tourofpa.com

Blue Jays
05-27-2008, 10:11 AM
You'll have a ball and you'll also have a perfect view of the race!

avalonracing
05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Course marshall is a fun job on a good part of the course (and boring as hell on another part). But take it seriously, you really could save someone's life.
Make sure that you have plenty of water and some sunblock.

William
05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
You'll have a ball and you'll also have a perfect view of the race!

True dat! :banana:

Just don't forget to dress the part, or be afraid to yell at people if you need to...

"YOUR OUT OF LINE!!! TO THE BACK OF THE PELETON!!! TWWEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/ryancpotts/referee.jpg

William

BURCH
05-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Is this race not going to have them hit any of those hills in the burgh? That is a shame. I guess they will hit plenty of hills if they hit up the Allegheny Mtns (taking them thru the laurel highlands would be great) just outside of the city. Going to look for the route online now to see what they riding in the state.

ah yeah...Ligonier to Pgh will be a sweet day.

rwsaunders
05-27-2008, 12:14 PM
It looks like stages 3 and 4 have some climbs. I'm surprised that they're skipping Mt. Washington on the Pittsburgh stage. The Thrift Drug Classic used to climb Sycamore Street a few times...before they paved over the belgian block pavers too.

EDS
05-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Based on my previous experience as a course marshall my advice is as follows:

1. Wear sunblock.
2. Sweep the corner really well.
3. Haze your friends unless they are in the lead.
4. Unleashed dogs are bad.

Blue Jays
05-27-2008, 01:14 PM
My experience as a course marshall has always been while piloting a motorcycle.
My only addition to the excellent list above is to wear your leathers, gloves, boots, and a full-face helmet if that applies! :D

bigbill
05-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Based on my previous experience as a course marshall my advice is as follows:

1. Wear sunblock.
2. Sweep the corner really well.
3. Haze your friends unless they are in the lead.
4. Unleashed dogs are bad.

And don't be suprised at how stupid people can be. I marshalled a crit in SC and a woman ducked under the barrier rope to cross the street just as the pack was coming around the corner on a four corner course. She walked out to the middle of street and stopped like she was waiting for cars to pass. Riders went on either side of her without crashing into her or each other. That emboldened all the other morons in the crowd to give it a try. The police had to take over marshalling at that corner.

rwsaunders
05-27-2008, 01:23 PM
I'll be on foot with a flag...no motorcycle. Orientation is in a couple of weeks.

Kevan
05-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Install these in your section:

http://www.chicagoaa.com/images/other/cyclocrossOct04barriersweb.JPG

MilanoTom
05-27-2008, 01:34 PM
And don't be suprised at how stupid people can be. I marshalled a crit in SC and a woman ducked under the barrier rope to cross the street just as the pack was coming around the corner on a four corner course. She walked out to the middle of street and stopped like she was waiting for cars to pass. Riders went on either side of her without crashing into her or each other. That emboldened all the other morons in the crowd to give it a try. The police had to take over marshalling at that corner.

I had the similar experiences working as a course marshall in Columbia, SC, and Attleboro, MA. Idiocy knows no borders.

Regards.
Tom

dave thompson
05-27-2008, 02:57 PM
My wife and I have worked as course marshals at the Coeur D'Alene Ironman triathalon for the last 4 years. Very rewarding, have a much better appreciation of just how hard these athletes work and just how stupid spectators can be. Be prepared for anything.

maunahaole
05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Many good suggestions. Based on my experience:

1. Wear a good hat, with a full brim

2. Don't be afraid the be a full on a-hole to stupid spectators who cross into the course at the wrong time.

dave thompson
05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Many good suggestions. Based on my experience:

1. Wear a good hat, with a full brim

2. Don't be afraid the be a full on a-hole to stupid spectators who cross into the course at the wrong time.
I agree absolutely! Sometimes firm and positive directions/instructions/commands don't seem to work. The safety of the riders can depend on the course marshals to a very large degree.

bzbvh5
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Did anyone see Cyclism Sunday on Verses where the stage winner is harassed by about 6 people at once while he is doing his best on the steepest part of the mountain on the final ascent? You would think they would have stopped when he tried to push them away.

People on the road in front using a flag like a bull fighter and the cyclist being the bull. People chasing from behind. People squirting riders with water who don't want to be squirted.

We've all seen it at one time or another. Good luck marshalling.