PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo hubs with aerohead and open pro

Marcusaurelius
05-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I was wondering if any 200lbs + riders have ridden velocity aerohead rims (oc) and mavic open pro rims would care to share their thoughts on them? I ask because I just got a set of 32 hole velocity aerohead rims and they are by far the lightest and stiffest rims I've ever ridden. I suspect it might have something to do with aerohead oc rear rim.

I previously had a set of 32 hole campagnolo montreal rims built with campagnolo hubs but they didn't feel as stiff as these and flexed a little too much for my tastes.

Of course Peter Whites comments about open pro rims and campagnolo hubs makes me believe I should avoid open pro rims. I don't know. I've only ever had open pro rims built with a shimano hubs.

Sailorma
05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I am riding a 36hole aerohead rim on a campy 10speed rear record hub and at 240 lbs it is nearly bullit proof.

tuco
05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
I will probably be doing the 32h + Velocity Aerohead (O/C for the rear) shortly. This setup will replace a wheelset of Campy Chorus w/ Open Pro. My experience (225 lbs. today) w/ the Open Pro 32h over several seasons was not very good. The rear constantly needed attention. Experienced wheel-builders were convinced they could make a 32h + Open Pro work so I let them try.

Slapped an Open Pro on a 36h Chorus hub and have had nary a worry. :)

Looking at trying an Ambrosio Excellight SSC 36h for no good reason really.

Only buying 36h hubs these days.

dekindy
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
The Aerohead O/S is a strong wheel and a Deep V is even stronger. You should probably go with a 32-hole Aerohead or a 28 or 32-hole Deep V rear rim would be better for a dependable everyday wheel.

I purchased a used 28-hole O/C built with White Industry hubs. The drive side was 2x and radial non-drive side. The builder now does 3x DS and 2x NDS to relieve stress on the hub. The lacing may have contributed to the DS side flange failure I suffered recently after not paying attention and hitting a pothole very hard. The seller seemed honest so I am satisfied the rim had about 4-5 thousand miles when the hub failed. The rim was beginning to show cracks around the eyelets and the LBS says that it was near the end of it's useful life.

To White Industries credit they are warranting the hub even though I am not the original owner and they may not be at fault. Since they are replacing the 28-hole hub outer shell I am having it relaced to a Deep V rim. Otherwise I would go with a 32-hole Deep V.

jhcakilmer
05-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Used that exact wheelset for about 4k miles, and never had to touch it. It was comfortable, durable, and light (650g/790g). Sold it to try something else, and wish I still had it!!

My setup was...Record/Aeroheads/CX-rays.....(28) front 2x, (32) rear 3x(drive), 2x (non-drive), and I was 200-210lbs. I (w/ musgraves instruction) laced them, and had a LBS tension them.

Marcusaurelius
05-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick with a 32hole Aerohead OC or if I feel really daring a 36 hole open pro. At present though I would say the aerohead are really amazing considering my not so good past experience with 32hole rims and campagnolo hubs.

Dekonick
05-27-2008, 09:49 PM
I use both -

32H front and back with record hubs and OP rims on one rig

32H F&B with chorus hubs and areohead OC rims -

Both wheelsets are just fine.

BTW the OP's are machine built, but hand checked - the areoheads are custom hand built wheels.

Like em both.

Oh - yeah the weight factor - can I lie?

215 now....damn kids....(just kidding - they are worth it!_)

185 when in proper form.

dekindy
05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Used that exact wheelset for about 4k miles, and never had to touch it. It was comfortable, durable, and light (650g/790g). Sold it to try something else, and wish I still had it!!

My setup was...Record/Aeroheads/CX-rays.....(28) front 2x, (32) rear 3x(drive), 2x (non-drive), and I was 200-210lbs. I (w/ musgraves instruction) laced them, and had a LBS tension them.

What did yo buy that you thought was going to be better?

sevencyclist
05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Campy Record with DT Swiss RR 1.1 built by Ergottwheels. Has stayed true and very comfortable after 1000 miles. Stiff enough for me at 175lbs. I was considering the Aerohead OC but eventually went with DT, but not really much difference between the two.

dekindy
05-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Campy Record with DT Swiss RR 1.1 built by Ergottwheels. Has stayed true and very comfortable after 1000 miles. Stiff enough for me at 175lbs. I was considering the Aerohead OC but eventually went with DT, but not really much difference between the two.

If you go this route 1.1 with double eyelets and/or 1.2 rear.