PDA

View Full Version : Black Ksyrium spokes...Availability???

SoCalSteve
05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi all,

Well, I built up the Titus Exogrid for Sherry yesterday and we decided that the Ksyrium SL's clashed big time with the Exogrid tubing....So, I put a set of Open Pro's (Dura Ace hubs) on it and its much better...Really shows off the tubing and not the wheelset. With the scalloped SL's, it was just REALLY busy...Too much silver and black going on.

Anyway, I now have this pair of 5 year old (approx.) wheelset and was thinking that I'd like to replace the spokes and just do an overhaul on the rear wheel and maybe put the set on a bike of mine...

Are these spokes still available? Are they still being used today on Mavic wheelsets? Expensive to replace? What else needs to be done? Is there some simple maintenance that can be done on the free hub?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

tiger
05-26-2008, 06:50 AM
Last I knew LBS here charged $5 per spoke. The free hub is simple to take off and clean, just have to be careful the pawls don't go flying and that you use the proper viscosity and type of oil for the free hub (otherwise the pawls stick). I think Mavic also has a program where the LBS can send them back to them for a complete rebuild, but it's not cheap.

I had one set of K's and when they needed new spokes and bearings the cost outweighed what I considered to be their value, compared to selling them (with appropriate disclosure) and applying the proceeds to a new wheelset. I decided to return to conventional wheelsets in part because of the hight price of parts for proprietary ones. K's are nice, though - reliable in general, and really look cool.

pdxmech13
05-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Steve they are still available and yes at around $5 a spoke. I would do what was suggested above and see if you can find someone to trade them for silver ones or sell the ones you have. :beer:

Pete Serotta
05-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Best to either leave the way they are or sell and buy black. I have an old set ( 7 years) that are campy and it uses the old free hub (do not think the one you have) or I would trade you (mine are black).

pete

SoCalSteve
05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Best to either leave the way they are or sell and buy black. I have an old set ( 7 years) that are campy and it uses the old free hub (do not think the one you have) or I would trade you (mine are black).

pete

The ones I have are black as well. They have many thousands of miles on them and I just want to rebuild with like spokes, etc...

Sherry had been using this wheelset for many years and we ended up going with a different wheel set for her new Titus. So, I have this set that I would like to rebuild and put on one of my bikes...

Thanks for the offer Pete!

Steve