PDA

View Full Version : Sram 1090 chain with Shimano?

Ken C
05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
It is time to replace my chain. I am currently using Ultregra cassettes (10 speed) with a R700 front crank. I do not really trust myself to install a Shimano pin correctly so I was thinking of going with the Sram 1090 chain with the power link.

Does anyone else have any experience with running the sram 1090 chain with an otherwise all shimano set up? Would I be better off using another Ultegra chain (and having the shop install insetad)? I noticed on the link to Andy Hampsten's Strada Bianca that he is using this chain with an Ultegra cassette so I imagine it should work fine. Thanks for your help

Dave
05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Installing a Shimano pin is extremely simple. I would not worry about it. Most places want a lot more for SRAM 1090 chains and there sure have been a lot of postings about short life.

Any brand of 10 speed chain will have the same 5.9mm width, but only SRAM, KMC and Wipperman offer quick links with the chain. It's been many years since I tried a Wipperman, but found the one I tried to be noisy and only used it for a few hundred miles.

Right now I'm have good luck with the inexpensive KMC DX10SC. The first 1000 miles went very smooth.

Bernie
05-25-2008, 05:11 PM
the SRAM 1090 chain will work just fine with the Shimano 10 sp. I don't like the pin either, and SRAM has not yet come out with a removable link like the power link they have for the 10 sp, so I went with a KMC chain with removable link. Not that I remove my chain that often, but I can if I want to.

cdimattio
05-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I run the SRAM 1090 exclusively with my Shimano drivetrains. No issues whatsoever.

One time link is easier to use, and the I believe the SRAM chain will allow you to drop a few grams of weight as well.

Ken C
06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I decided to go with the KMC DX10SC because it was on sale for $24.99 and due to the positive reviews on it. So far it has been great, shifts well and is quiet. I notice no difference between it and the Ultegra chain it replaced. It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get out it, but for that price it seems like a great deal so far.

djg21
06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
It is time to replace my chain. I am currently using Ultregra cassettes (10 speed) with a R700 front crank. I do not really trust myself to install a Shimano pin correctly so I was thinking of going with the Sram 1090 chain with the power link.

Does anyone else have any experience with running the sram 1090 chain with an otherwise all shimano set up? Would I be better off using another Ultegra chain (and having the shop install insetad)? I noticed on the link to Andy Hampsten's Strada Bianca that he is using this chain with an Ultegra cassette so I imagine it should work fine. Thanks for your help

I've always had better luck with regular shimano chains. Then again, I change my chains at 1,500 miles so to preserve the cogsets on my various wheelsets.

The shimano pins really are idiot proof. You simply out them by hand, push them through the eyelets of the links with a chain tool, and break the extra part off with a needle-nose plier.

As an alternative, you can alway purchase a wipperman connex adapter to use with the shimano chain. I've actually been doing this because I like to remove my chain when I clean my bike.