PDA

View Full Version : Shifting issues?

Lifelover
05-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I got a new frame and had it build up with some older 10 speed Campy Centaur stuff that I got from a forum member a year or so ago. However, I used Shimano wheel and a shimano 10 speed cassette.

It was built by the owner of a the local LBS and I trust him quite a bit. When I picked it up he warned me that it was not shifting a crisp as he would like. He said he has mixed campy/shimano before with success but could not get this to work just right.

It seems to work pretty good on the 6 or so smaller cogs but once it gets to the larger ones it does not engage properly. Seems to be the same on the large or small chain ring.

Cassette is 11-23. I ordered it as an 105 cassette from Probikekit and it showed up in an Ultegra box. I assume that has no bearing. The chain also came from probikekit and was sold as a 105 10 speed.

The LBS guy suggested that I might want try a different chain. I think he said the new campy chains are a little more narrow?

Any suggestion? Shiftmate? New chain?

When I have a chance, I'm going to borrow a campy wheel/cassette and see if the problem goes away.

PS I love the new bike and will post some pics when a get a better chance. :banana: :banana: :banana:

RPS
05-24-2008, 12:37 PM
It seems to work pretty good on the 6 or so smaller cogs but once it gets to the larger ones it does not engage properly. Seems to be the same on the large or small chain ring.I'd first try adjusting the rear deraileur to match perfectly at the center of the cassette.

Dude
05-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Swap to a campy wheel/cassette and you will be fine. You can't make campy shifters work on a shimano cassette. You can fudge it and make it "good enough" but they won't work - there are switcharoo's out there to "band aid" the issue but sack up and go full campy. You should just because it's better ( ;) )

If you do that and THEN you are still having problems take it back to your mechanic. I don't care if you are god's mechanic. Campy drivetrain won't work with shimano cassette and/or chain.

Ken Robb
05-24-2008, 01:54 PM
I had 10 speed Ksyriums w/Campy hub and cassette. It would shift fine in the middle cogs but not so well at the extremes and as I shifted away from the middle cogs I got more noise from the drive train so I'm sure premature wear would have been as issue. I swapped the freehub for the Shimano designated one from Mavic and it was perfect everywhere. If you can get the correct hub/cassette that might be best. A j-Tek shiftmate has gotten good reviews rom users and would be lots cheaper to buy and then you would be able to continue using the less expensive and more widely available Shimano cogs and chains. All things considered I have perfect performance with both Campy and Shimano groups but I might prefer the Campy brifters slightly so the j-Tek might be the hot set-up for me to try. DBRK has said many times that he successfully mixes brands in 9-speed and can detect no reduction in performance but the 10 spd. stuff seems a bit fussier about mixing ATMO.

CaptStash
05-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Spend the $35 and get a J-Tek Shiftmate. I used one on my son's bike which has Veloce 9 spd. top to bottom except for the Ultegra cassette. The bike shifts perfectly and very crisply as you would expect from Campagnolo.

The rreason you are having trouble is that the space between the cogs is different on the Shimano cassette than what the Campy brifters are designed for. The J-Tek adapter has a small pulley with tow diameters. The cable is wrapped around the pulley and converts the brifter's cable movement to the correct amount for the Shimano cassette. It is a little finicky to set-up (it would help if you are three handed!) but is a great solution.

Your LBS should be able to install it with no problem. I fyou are doing it yourself feel free to PM me if you get stuck.

CaptStash....

Lifelover
05-24-2008, 03:41 PM
....... DBRK has said many times that he successfully mixes brands in 9-speed and can detect no reduction in performance but the 10 spd. stuff seems a bit fussier about mixing ATMO.

Maybe that is where my problem lies. I did not recall him talking about using 9 spd.

Sounds like a shiftmate is in order.

Lifelover
05-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Your LBS should be able to install it with no problem. I fyou are doing it yourself feel free to PM me if you get stuck.

CaptStash....

I talked to the LBS about a shiftmate this morning. He had not heard of them. I may take it to him just so he can see how it works.

If I do decide to do it myself I may take you up on the offer.

Thanks

Ken Robb
05-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I talked to the LBS about a shiftmate this morning. He had not heard of them. I may take it to him just so he can see how it works.

If I do decide to do it myself I may take you up on the offer.

Thanks
Is it Peter Jon White who sells the J-Teks on-line and has lots of good info on same?

mschol17
05-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I think it's a QBP part now, but Peter White does sell it and has lots of information on his site. I got mine from aebike I think, and it works great.

72gmc
05-24-2008, 05:42 PM
My LBS can get them through QBP, I believe.

Looks like you want a #1. Looking forward to pictures of the bike!

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Ahneida Ride
05-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Maybe that is where my problem lies. I did not recall him talking about using 9 spd.

Sounds like a shiftmate is in order.

Check out Peter White. I think he carries em and his site has a
full exposition.

I guess they work rather well. Least I've heard no complaints from the Phorum.