PDA

View Full Version : *** Camy?

shinomaster
05-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Is this (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1564408#poststop) true?

OOPS...I mean Campy.. :rolleyes:

RocketDog
05-24-2008, 08:02 AM
I can't say whether it's true or not, but I do know that these rumors happen every year.

musgravecycles
05-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Judging by the conversation taking place across the hall (@WW) I'd assume it to be true...

:crap:

old_school
05-24-2008, 02:23 PM
http://fisharepeopletoo.blogs.com/1/images/SpinalTap-thumb.jpg

taylorj
05-24-2008, 04:38 PM
True

soulspinner
05-24-2008, 04:53 PM
How much narrower can chains get without increasing the failure rate considerably?

Ahneida Ride
05-24-2008, 04:59 PM
How much narrower can chains get without increasing the failure rate considerably?

Yea .... that is my question ....I want a SAFE chain ...
I don't care about weight .....

I want a 12 speed. add a 12 cog plus a 32 cog to my 13-29. :p

I already have 20-100 gear inches .... Do I really need more options? :confused:

whammo45
05-24-2008, 05:06 PM
I dont understand how adding another cog can make the system lighter,
and oh! yet even more radical offset rear spacing? :p
Bring back 8 speed

Ron C

Enigma
05-24-2008, 05:18 PM
I dont understand how adding another cog can make the system lighter,
and oh! yet even more radical offset rear spacing? :p
Bring back 8 speed

Ron C

10-speed is lighter than 8-speed. Nevertheless,11 represents the sharks they are jumping. 10 works great, but I tend to agree that with 11 we have a case of more being less. Too much offset (we already have too much with 10-speed) and the chain would be even narrower.

They need to make 10-speed better rather than make 11 speeds.

goonster
05-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I want a SAFE chain ...
I don't care about weight .....

That's crazy talk! :rolleyes:

Why do you hate progress?

Me, I just want wheels with less dish.

Dave
05-24-2008, 05:39 PM
In a nutshell, Super Record will be electronic, while Record and Chorus will be mechanical 11 speed.

Most people riding average terrain really won't have any use for 11 speed. When I rode in the Kansas City area, with moderate hills, I used a 53/39 with a 12-21 (9 speed) and changed to an 11-23 with my first 10 speed group in 2000, then to a 12-25, because there just weren't very many times when a 53/11 was useful. Riding in the Colorado mountains, I could use 11 cogs with a compact crank.

11 cogs will add a 23 to an 11-21, a 16T to an 11-25, a 25T to a 12-23 and an 18T cog to a 12-25. I'd like to see an 11-27 or 11-28 to use with a compact and a 12-29 to use with a compact as a substitute for a triple. A 34/29 low gear is lower than a 30/25.

As for the cogs and spacing, the chain will be 5.5mm wide. If you do some calculations on the cog width and chain clearance, the cogs could be the same width as current Shimano cogs, or slightly narrower (up to 10%) and still fit on a Campy 9/10 hub. The only other downside in no compatiblity with 10 speed RDs.

I suspect this will also give Campy an opportunity to raise the price of their shifters to match that of their much more expensive competitors.

On the bright side, maybe the escape mechanism will disappear and Centaur 10 will be close to the former Chorus 10.

As for chain safety, the biggest cause of failure is improper installation, or in other words, not reading and following the instructions. I've read many posts from people who have little mechanical knowledge and are proud that they join a 10 speed chain by NOT using the manufacturer's prescribed pin or tool. That is the source of most failures, followed by poor shifting technique - getting bogged down in a big gear and then trying to shift under high tension at low cadence - a presciption for trouble.

Making the chain and cogs narrower will reduce chain and cog life. How much depends on whether improvments are made to the chain and cog materials. Shimano used wear resistant coatings to enhance 10 speed cog life when they reduced the cog width by 10% to 1.6mm, but never bothered to improve their chain (that's next year). Campy chains already elongate much less than Shimano chains, so at the worst, I could see 11 speed chain life reduced to 3500-4,000 miles under the best conditions - about what you can get from a current DA chain.

Elefantino
05-24-2008, 09:02 PM
This is really, really silly.

We have Record. That wasn't good enough, so we have Record Red. What's next? Super Record in pink? Yellow? Mauve? Taupe?

I have 10 speed Record. I have 10 speed Centaur. I have 9-speed Veloce. As long as you can replace the parts, I should be fine for the next decade or so.

Sheesh.

:mad:

Keith A
05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
To quote someone from the RBR thread..."11 speed? Another solution in search of a problem."

I'm still running 9-speed Dura-Ace all but one of my "modern" setups and just recently put 10-speed Dura-Ace on my C-50. Here in the flat lands of Florida, there is no need for even 10-speed as I run a 12x21 cassette and have every gear combination that I want. Obviously those in hilly terrains would benefit more from 10 (or 11) gears in the back. I just hope that Shimano and SRAM stay with 10-speed, but I doubt that will happen.

Fixed
05-24-2008, 09:44 PM
more is better right ...
simple me i have enough to think about with one
cheers imho
singolo sweet chariot coming to take me home

Dustin
05-25-2008, 02:28 AM
I like my Campy 10 speed, but even that seemed unnecessary to me. With 11 speed on the horizon, it makes me want to go back to 7-speed friction shifting just to protest all of the silliness.

Seriously, can we officially refer to this as the Nigel Tufnel Gruppo, or Campy NTG?

sailorboy
05-25-2008, 03:11 AM
I think a better question is why not a chorus or record level 10-speed group with no carbon on it, and some swift retro logos of some sort to go with the resurgence of handmade steel frames these days? Suppose they debuted it NAHBS '09? I'd wager they'd sell every last bit they could fly over the pond.

Anyone listening over there?

SamIAm
05-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I think a better question is why not a chorus or record level 10-speed group with no carbon on it, and some swift retro logos of some sort to go with the resurgence of handmade steel frames these days? Suppose they debuted it NAHBS '09? I'd wager they'd sell every last bit they could fly over the pond.

I'm in for 10 or so of these!

acorn_user
05-25-2008, 05:33 PM

And none at all in Europe. Oh well. It would be nice if Campagnolo would make everything I wanted (Shimano compatible shifters, hubs with more drilling options and a touring groupset), but they have to do something to up the ante, what with Dura Ace changing in 2009 and Sram Red taking some of the weight weenie market. I don't personally see the need for 11 speeds, but there is only so much weight you can trim, so that leaves extra cogs as an obvious option.

Samster
05-26-2008, 08:47 AM
on my next bike, i make the leap.