PDA

View Full Version : The next three days of the Giro

sellsworth
05-23-2008, 06:04 PM
The next three days of the Giro should be nothing short of spectacular. In fact, I think that these are going to be the best three days of the entire cycling season. I expect that Contador will be in pink after winning tomorrow's stage and then work like mad to defend on Sunday. On Monday he could put more time into his rivals. I think Simoni will crack big time and DiLuca and Ricco will be in 2nd and 3rd afterwards. What do you think?

Elefantino
05-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Geez. Apparently not many Giro fans.

I'm riding early this weekend to get back in time to watch the NPK video/Eurosport audio combo on cyclingfans.com

Contador has been sandbagging. He even said he's picking Simoni for the win. Bah. He'll be in pink by Monday.

Menchov has been quiet (and a little ill) and could show.

The Killer has the best team and Savoldelli is riding better than his team leader. Interesting.

Ricco is a punk. But if Savoldelli is the best lieutenant in the Giro, then Piepoli is a close second. (Liepheimer/Kloden are pretty good, too!)

What would be great is if Contador wins the Giro, then Astana gets a tour invite, and Bruyneel tells ASO to go eff itself.

jeffg
05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Geez. Apparently not many Giro fans.

I'm riding early this weekend to get back in time to watch the NPK video/Eurosport audio combo on cyclingfans.com

Contador has been sandbagging. He even said he's picking Simoni for the win. Bah. He'll be in pink by Monday.

Menchov has been quiet (and a little ill) and could show.

The Killer has the best team and Savoldelli is riding better than his team leader. Interesting.

Ricco is a punk. But if Savoldelli is the best lieutenant in the Giro, then Piepoli is a close second. (Liepheimer/Kloden are pretty good, too!)

What would be great is if Contador wins the Giro, then Astana gets a tour invite, and Bruyneel tells ASO to go eff itself.

Vai Gibo!

Yes, Contador has been sandbagging and will likely win, which I do not think is a good thing. Astana is only racing here because the TdF kicked them to the curb, and it shows they are a strong team but they do not care about this race like the Italians do. It's a consolation prize for them, nothing more.

Simoni has been strong, and may in fact win tomorrow. It would be wise for Astana to follow wheels and let Simoni blow his wad to get the win if he can beat Ricco, DiLuca, Piepoli, etc. Contador can afford to not contest the stage but still be in pink easily if he just stays in contact.

The next day is so savage that it and the time trial to Kronplatz (Plan de Corones) should decide the race. If Contador comes out of Monday in pink, then there are only two more stages to dislodge him with only one mountain top finish. If the stage over the Gavia/Mortirolo had finished in Aprica, there would be more of a chance for serious gaps.

Having ridden the GF Pantani last year from Aprica over these climbs and the stage of the Giro two years ago, I can say these climbs are savage -- it will be great racing, especially if everyone gangs up on Astana. I have nothing against Contador and rooted for him last year over Rasmussen (even before the chicken got shown the door), but this is Italy's home tour and Simoni and Salvodelli are likely riding their last Giro, so I would like to see them mix it up --- Contador has years ahead of him to win unless he pulls a Vino

Your_Friend!
05-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Class! It Is A Two_Way Street:

De_Cyclingnews:

The Italian could easily have stayed close to the barriers to prevent Cavendish from getting through, but chose instead to ease over to the left, opening the way for the 23-year-old. "I said thanks as I went past with 100 metres to go," Cavendish revealed. "I have to say again, 'thanks.' It is great sportsmanship and we are able to see who is the fastest."

"If I would have done that I would have risked Cavendish crashing, and I prefer to be correct than to win another stage," explained Bennati. "The sprint was more adapted to Cavendish, who is very explosive. ... I am a little disappointed."

Love,
Y_F!

BTW: I Give 3 >>> 13

Open_Game_Status!

Avispa
05-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I expect that Contador will be in pink after winning tomorrow's stage and then work like mad to defend on Sunday. On Monday he could put more time into his rivals. I think Simoni will crack big time and DiLuca and Ricco will be in 2nd and 3rd afterwards. What do you think?

Yeah, that is a possibility... But, unfortunately, I suspect that if Contador is in pink, he may also get busted by CONI or by the other doping controls.

I am not sure, Di Luca will end in second. He will either win the thing, or end up 4th or 5th.

..A..