PDA

View Full Version : Arnica

93legendti
05-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Anyone use Arnica for recovery? My legs took a beating on the steady diet of steep climbs in Israel and at night I used Arnica gel on my legs and it really seemed to take out the soreness and stiffness. I know Mike Barry talked about Arnica as a recovery aid in his book.

M.Sommers
05-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Post # 8:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=43489&highlight=arnica

After many knee operations, I found that arnica montana in gel form truly helps joint pain and muscle soreness.

1centaur
05-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Amazing for wound healing.

tys
05-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Anyone use Arnica for recovery? My legs took a beating on the steady diet of steep climbs in Israel and at night I used Arnica gel on my legs and it really seemed to take out the soreness and stiffness. I know Mike Barry talked about Arnica as a recovery aid in his book.

I use Weleda Arnica massage oil on my my legs after hard rides. I think it helps. Next time a get a real massage, I may take the bottle with me and ask the masseuse to use it. BYOB Massage? :D

tys

93legendti
05-23-2008, 07:25 PM
I use Weleda Arnica massage oil on my my legs after hard rides. I think it helps. Next time a get a real massage, I may take the bottle with me and ask the masseuse to use it. BYOB Massage? :D

tys
I think I have some of that lying around. A little oily, but nice.

Amazing for wound healing.

Do people really put it on an open wound? Does it sting?

bobscott
05-23-2008, 07:36 PM
From Archives of Surgery...the studies aren't strong but this not not make arnica look too promising.
bobscott

Arch Surg. 1998 Nov;133(11):1187-90. Links
Efficacy of homeopathic arnica: a systematic review of placebo-controlled clinical trials.Ernst E, Pittler MH.
Department of Complementary Medicine, School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, England, United Kingdom. E.Ernst@exeter.ac.uk

BACKGROUND: The efficacy of homeopathic remedies has remained controversial. The homeopathic remedy most frequently studied in placebo-controlled clinical trials is Arnica montana. OBJECTIVE: To systematically review the clinical efficacy of homeopathic arnica. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Computerized literature searches were performed to retrieve all placebo-controlled studies on the subject. The following databases were searched: MEDLINE, EMBASE, CISCOM, and the Cochrane Library. Data were extracted in a predefined, standardized fashion independently by both authors. There were no restrictions on the language of publications. RESULTS: Eight trials fulfilled all inclusion criteria. Most related to conditions associated with tissue trauma. Most of these studies were burdened with severe methodological flaws. On balance, they do not suggest that homeopathic arnica is more efficacious than placebo. CONCLUSION: The claim that homeopathic arnica is efficacious beyond a placebo effect is not supported by rigorous clinical trials.

PMID: 9820349 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

cadence231
05-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I'll tell you one thing I have noticed.
If I put it on a relatively large area I will get a slight queasy feeling.http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/***.gif

PBWrench
05-23-2008, 08:20 PM
I've used arnica cream and also taken the homeopathic pills. I've found them helpful, or at least their placebo effect! Feel better!

1centaur
05-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Do people really put it on an open wound? Does it sting?

Scabs and stitches. Arnica gel. I have not used it but seen it used and raved about, especially re: speeding up healing time much more than doctor predicted.

93legendti
05-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Scabs and stitches. Arnica gel. I have not used it but seen it used and raved about, especially re: speeding up healing time much more than doctor predicted.
OK, I'll have to try it in that application.

93legendti
05-24-2008, 08:10 AM
I've used arnica cream and also taken the homeopathic pills. I've found them helpful, or at least their placebo effect! Feel better!
Actually, I feel great, it was just in Israel my legs felt tired. I probably wasn't drinking enough water, in addition to tackling the heavy roads.