PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the Ozarks

Cdub
05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
I am going on a trip to Jasper Arkansas. Anyone have any experience riding there? I understand it is quite hilly, especially coming from Houston where a hill is an overpass. Gear recommendations?

Thanks

regularguy412
05-22-2008, 07:04 PM
That area is about a four hour drive from where I live. I've never ridden in that 'exact' spot, but have ridden in the north central-, northwest- Arkansas area. I've raced in that area a few times. I used a 39 x 24, but that was in the days when one could only get 7- or 8-speed cog sets. Granted. Racing is not the same as riding and I don't know what gears you usually ride. If I were doing it myself today, I'd definitely want at least a 39 front ring and a 26 low cog. I'm neither a mountain goat nor a slug. My weight is approx. 166 lbs and on the rolling hills around my home, I usually use a low gear of 42 x 21. Depending upon the precise route that you'll be riding around Jasper, a compact might be in order -- like a 36. There will likely be some long-ish and /or steep-ish climbs and you'll need something that won't kill your knees so you can remain seated and be more efficient.

Mike in AR :beer:

Brendan Quirk
05-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Best ride in AR, and probably one of the top 5 in the southern US is the Jasper Disaster. If you start in Jasper go WEST towards Ponca. Do not get on Hwy 7 -- that's the only road with traffic in this neck of the woods. So long as you stay off 7 you'll have nothing but quiet & spectacular scenery.

From Jasper go west on 74. After a very short bit you'll go south on 327 to Parthenon. You'll stay on it 'til it ends. It'll be ~45min or so. There is a heinous climb on it -- almost 2 miles w/plenty of 18% to keep you awake. When you hit Hwy 16 go right.

At Edwards Junction go right on Hwy 21. You'll roar down a massive descent, then go right on Hwy 43. It's my favorite 20 min stretch of road in America. Keep an eye out for the elk. Just before Ponca (at a put-in for the Buffalo River) go right on 74. It's another killer, killer climb. Long and steep. Awesome. Take 74 over Mt Sherman then back down into Jasper.

Depending on your fitness & speed it'll take between 3.5 and 5hrs. It rules. I love Jasper, and so do a heck of a lot of other people. It's worth the travelling. And while you're there you oughta go float the Buffalo. With all the rain we've had, it'd be a thrill. Put in at Ponca. Awesome. And eat at the Ozark Cafe. It's an AR legend. Enjoy our gorgeous state! Brendan

Cdub
05-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the input. I found that ride online and reading what you wrote, it will be on the list.

My set up is 53/39 x11/25. I am happy to switch the rear. I too am not a mountain goat, but get up them decently. 18? oh boy!!!

thanks again

BumbleBeeDave
05-23-2008, 12:25 PM
My dad was from Clarksville. When both he and Mom passed on last year we were back there twice in 3 months for funerals and drove back up Highway 21. Absolutely beautiful country!--more so than I remembered from 20 years before. It would be so cool to just ride around up there for a week or two.

BBD

Climb01742
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
if you hear banjos, ride fast. very fast. ;)

BumbleBeeDave
05-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Besides, we were driving through there on a spring weekday and there was nobody, and I mean NOBODY out. I think we passed maybe 3 other cars in 30 miles of driving.

BBD

Birddog
05-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Three weeks ago, a group of us did an annual (to us) ride in SE Oklahoma, which terrain wise is similar to the Ozarks. In 85 miles, we were not overtaken by more than 20 cars, and most of them were on one 10 mile section.

Birddog

Fixed
05-23-2008, 06:49 PM
if you hear banjos, ride fast. very fast. ;)
bro i didn't think they like skinny dark cats in tight clothes ..

0523jk
05-24-2008, 09:40 AM
在北京光盘制作上,把我们对您公司的理解和专业定位,光盘制作 (http://www.itd9.com)通过先进的数码制作技术完美地表现出来,令您举办的活动在众多企业活动中更加
璀璨夺目。多媒体技术对视觉和声音极光盘制作 (http://www.itd9.com/index.asp)尽完美的演绎,充分地体现出贵公司固有的品位,彰显时代气息。

在检索光盘的制作方面,光盘刻录 (http://www.itd9.com/gpkl.asp)利用我们长期为中国出口商品交易会提供产品光盘检索服务的经验,光盘打印 (http://www.itd9.com/gpdy.asp)我们有信心和实力能在光盘的海量数据检
索上实现您的目标,光盘印刷 (http://www.itd9.com/ys.asp)无论是对产品的名称还是对产品的外观图片的查询,我们的光盘数据检索都能够胜任。

bob the nailer
10-11-2010, 06:51 PM
This is a little dated but just got back from a jasper ride. Actually the ride mentioned above is exactly the route we did, and i agree it has two brutal climbs, much harder than the talahina route which i have done with birddog. The hardest 60 miles i've ever ridden, but great roads, great weather, great scenery. We were probably 10 days from peak color but since i was working so hard I couldn't see that didn't matter. I was riding a compact 50/34 with a 12/25 rear, that wasn't enough. Next time, and there will definitely be a next time, we are already talking about going back, I'll get a 12/27 for sure, if not a 12/29. If you go, stay in Harrison about 15 miles north, Hotel Seville is really nice, has a nice restaurant and a bar, can get a beer or a drink even though its a dry county. Did a nice ride on sunday with one of the locals who took on some "gentle" rollers out in the country, what a beautiful ride that was. Now technically the route we rode and is described above isn't the jasper disaster, the disaster does leave from harrison, goes down to jasper and up over mt sherman from east to west, opposite of what we did, and at ponca turns north, then back east and back to harrison.

Chris
10-11-2010, 08:01 PM
bro i didn't think they like skinny dark cats in tight clothes ..
Fixed have you been back and I just missed it? Welcome back. You've been missed.