PDA

View Full Version : Uniscasi?? Other Travel Bikes..

jimp1234
05-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Looking at Andy H's Travelissimo got me thinking about getting a travel bike again, so I went over to the Serotta homepage looking for my number one travel bike pick, the Uniscasi, only to find it MIA. Is the Uniscasi no more? And if it is, and I guess to expand this discussion a bit, what are some other S&S coupler travel bikes people like. Btw, Ti would seem to have the best combination of light weight and toughest material but was wondering if anyone has found (or is gutsy enough) to have a CF travel bike. I had one question about fender eyelets. Are they recommended for a travel bike? I can't see myself ever doing any real camping with this bike, but I like the idea of lightweight fenders.

thanx

-Jim

jasond
05-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Looking at Andy H's Travelissimo got me thinking about getting a travel bike again, so I went over to the Serotta homepage looking for my number one travel bike pick, the Uniscasi, only to find it MIA. Is the Uniscasi no more? And if it is, and I guess to expand this discussion a bit, what are some other S&S coupler travel bikes people like. Btw, Ti would seem to have the best combination of light weight and toughest material but was wondering if anyone has found (or is gutsy enough) to have a CF travel bike. I had one question about fender eyelets. I can't see myself ever doing any real camping with this bike, but I like the idea of lightweight fenders.

thanx

-Jim

Serotta now makes the LegendTR

http://www.serotta.com/legendTR/index.html

Jay

jimp1234
05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks.. certainly well hidden on their website.

Serotta now makes the LegendTR

http://www.serotta.com/legendTR/index.html

Jay

Alan
05-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Ck out the list on the S&S website.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/fbplist.htm

There are many builders who can do this and I am sure that you'll get many recommendations. I have a Franklin w couplers and he is not even on the list. The link to his site is at:

http://home.alltel.net/franklinframe/index.html

Alan

eddief
05-21-2008, 07:19 PM
getting fenders into that s and s travel case might end up in accordians, not fenders. barely enough room in that box for what is really needed....the wheels, the frameset, the handlebars. it's a puzzle.

get an el cheapo frame that fits, have steve rex cut it, implant couplers, and then have it powdered. no muss, no fuss, no freaking when it falls off the luggage cart.

jasond
05-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks.. certainly well hidden on their website.

Yes they hide it very well. You have to click onto the legend bicycle link and then scroll down and the legenTR is on the right hand side.

Cinci Jim
05-21-2008, 07:29 PM
I had a naked Ti Fierte hacked because it would not need to be repainted and would save on cost that way.

93legendti
05-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I had a naked Ti Fierte hacked because it would not need to be repainted and would save on cost that way.

Pics please!

93legendti
05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Looking at Andy H's Travelissimo got me thinking about getting a travel bike again, so I went over to the Serotta homepage looking for my number one travel bike pick, the Uniscasi, only to find it MIA. Is the Uniscasi no more? And if it is, and I guess to expand this discussion a bit, what are some other S&S coupler travel bikes people like. Btw, Ti would seem to have the best combination of light weight and toughest material but was wondering if anyone has found (or is gutsy enough) to have a CF travel bike. I had one question about fender eyelets. Are they recommended for a travel bike? I can't see myself ever doing any real camping with this bike, but I like the idea of lightweight fenders.

thanx

-Jim
There's photos of one in the Image Gallery...spiderman, iirc, has one.

TMB
05-21-2008, 10:06 PM
getting fenders into that s and s travel case might end up in accordians, not fenders. barely enough room in that box for what is really needed....the wheels, the frameset, the handlebars. it's a puzzle.

get an el cheapo frame that fits, have steve rex cut it, implant couplers, and then have it powdered. no muss, no fuss, no freaking when it falls off the luggage cart.

I have them on a travel bike - you take them off before you pack the case.

Jack Brunk
05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I have a very soon incoming IF 953 Stainless steel S & S coupled frame. Based on a dupilcate 953 it will be a fantastic travel bike. If you have questions, PM me.

eddief
05-21-2008, 11:40 PM
after you take them off, where do you put them?

Pete Serotta
05-22-2008, 07:46 AM
I have the tr (same as unicasi) size 57 and unpainted. Takes practice in getting it into case BUT the S&S idea works well. Above about 1 62cm you might have to leave the fork out for it is too long for case (especially if you have a long ht extension. As to fenders - that will be a real exercise in packaging.

Many folks make them if you go to S&S site. I am partial to SEROTTA but Hampsten, Moots, Erickson, Kirk, etx.... can make you a nice one also.

Rides just like my normal everyday LEGEND> PETE

ps - it looks like airlines (AMERCIAN being first yesterday) are going to start charging for all bags on domestic flights. Pretty soon they will be charging $5/per shoe (so better leave them with the TSA when you take them off) :D

forzapantani
06-04-2008, 02:48 AM
If you fit a 55cm TT then I have an excellent condition, original owner Ti Uniscasi for you.
Frame for $2,600 firm.
Never traveled with.
Custom paint
ST rear end
find my add here on the forum.
Thanks,
Franc in Nor CA.

DRZRM
06-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Just flew with my travel bike for the first time. It's a close fit with 26" wheels. I can't imagine getting fenders in there. I wouldn't do it with CF, to much pressure and rubbing going on in there. Unpainted Ti would be my perfect travel bike, but steel with touch up paint will have to do for me. Going for a ride to the ocean from Newcastle this evening.

Pete Serotta
06-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Hope that you enjoyed the ride....post some pictures when you get a chance. I am off the Ride the Rockies with my travel bike next weekend.

PETE

woolly
06-04-2008, 11:50 AM

I agree with this sentiment. If I'm traveling, the last thing I want to do is worry about damage to my expensive & hard-to-replace bike.

For my trip to London later this month, I picked up a Surly Travelers Check super-cheap from a small shop that was closing down. No, it's not my Anvil Chisel, but I won't be worrying about the baggage system at Heathrow sending my S&S case off to oblivion. And it's still a "real bike" that I know has a nice ride.

Another option I considered was having Bilenky retrofit my Ti Habanero (pretty much a geometry-copy of my Anvil), but I wasn't sure I had enough lead-time to guarantee it'd be done. I may still end up doing this later in the year. Or I may just thin the herd further & replace the Hab, the CRT, and the Travelers Check with a new Hab, designed for long-reach brakes/rack/fenders and then have it coupled. The rack & fenders won't make it on many/any trips, but they'd sure be nice when I'm around home.

TMB
06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I agree with this sentiment. If I'm traveling, the last thing I want to do is worry about damage to my expensive & hard-to-replace bike.

For my trip to London later this month, I picked up a Surly Travelers Check super-cheap from a small shop that was closing down. No, it's not my Anvil Chisel, but I won't be worrying about the baggage system at Heathrow sending my S&S case off to oblivion. And it's still a "real bike" that I know has a nice ride.

Another option I considered was having Bilenky retrofit my Ti Habanero (pretty much a geometry-copy of my Anvil), but I wasn't sure I had enough lead-time to guarantee it'd be done. I may still end up doing this later in the year. Or I may just thin the herd further & replace the Hab, the CRT, and the Travelers Check with a new Hab, designed for long-reach brakes/rack/fenders and then have it coupled. The rack & fenders won't make it on many/any trips, but they'd sure be nice when I'm around home.

Good comment.

I just took delivery of the bike I had Carl Strong build me, it is steel and coupled, and I have been going back and forth with myself on whether or not I made a mistake not having rack mounts put on it.

I have finally come to the conclusion that it was made as a travel ready bike and when I use it as such, any racks will not be going so the lack of rack mounts is fine.

I did have it set up for fenders though and I can see fenders going on trips.

sg8357
06-04-2008, 12:05 PM
getting fenders into that s and s travel case might end up in accordians,.

I use velcro to strap the fenders to the tires, stays attached.
Use the SKS with the front quick release and Sheldon nuts
front and rear, that way I don't have to adjust the brakes.

For cheap travel, Surly makes a Cross Check with S&S.
Luxury travel would be a Moulton separable.

Scott G.
See you at the Cirque.

thejen12
06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
I have rack mounts on my S&S travel bike. Actually, just the two at the bottom (that also double as fender mounts), then I mount the top of the rack to the brake bridge. I take the rack off to pack it in the case, but the rack also fits in the case. Even if it didn't, it's easy to pack in with my clothes for the flight and put on the bike when I get there.

I like taking the rack on tours because its super easy to carry extra clothes for changing weather, camera, extra sun screen, and have room for picking up souvenirs or gifts along the way.

Jenn

Cinci Jim
06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Pics please!

Bilenky in Philly hacked it. Got it back 2 weeks after I shipped it off. Great to work with!

Anyone using a travel bike should look into the little collar at the bottom of the stack of spacers on the steerer. It locks in the headset so you don't have to worry when you break it down to go in the box.

Pete Serotta
06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
He did a very nice job...... :)

TMB
06-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Bilenky in Philly hacked it. Got it back 2 weeks after I shipped it off. Great to work with!

Anyone using a travel bike should look into the little collar at the bottom of the stack of spacers on the steerer. It locks in the headset so you don't have to worry when you break it down to go in the box.

Yep, I picked up one of those locking headset spacers for my bike, of course it came in silver.

Ordinarily I would be thrilled by that but everything else is black.

So I need to figure out how to piant that little puppy black ( and have it stick) , or find another one, in black.

93legendti
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM

Looks great!

Cinci Jim
06-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Yep, I picked up one of those locking headset spacers for my bike, of course it came in silver.

Ordinarily I would be thrilled by that but everything else is black.

So I need to figure out how to piant that little puppy black ( and have it stick) , or find another one, in black.

Here's the part number for the Black one:

http://www.problemsolversbike.com/images/PS_locking_spacer.pdf

markie
06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
If you want a bargain coupled bike there is the surly travelers check. It is no Serotta, but what is?

Ahneida Ride
06-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Serotta also makes a Rapid Tour ... A sport Tourer ....

Again a well hidden fact. No couplers though ...

93legendti
06-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Serotta also makes a Rapid Tour ... A sport Tourer ....

Again a well hidden fact. No couplers though ...

You can order a Legend TR (Uniscasi) in Rapid Tour guise.

Cinci Jim
06-05-2008, 08:25 AM
If you want a bargain coupled bike there is the surly travelers check. It is no Serotta, but what is?

Does the travelers check include the hard side case? That's another $400.

I got the frameset & headset off this forum for $1k and Bilenky charged me $1400 for the hack job, hard side case, compression members, cable quick disconnects, frame protector covers & shipping.

So for $2400 I have a great travel bike, case & other little stuff. I think it was a great deal.

woolly
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Does the travelers check include the hard side case? That's another $400.

I got the frameset & headset off this forum for $1k and Bilenky charged me $1400 for the hack job, hard side case, compression members, cable quick disconnects, frame protector covers & shipping.

So for $2400 I have a great travel bike, case & other little stuff. I think it was a great deal.

First, for what you ended up with, I do think you got a great deal!

The Surly does not come with a case. Frame/fork/coupler tool/lube is what you get. As I mentioned earlier, I got the TCheck cheap when Trinity Bicycles were ramping down. Older, but still functional, S&S hardshell case off of Ebay. Rounded it out with a TSA net, frame protector covers, cable quick disconnects, compressions members, and self-extracting crank bolts from the Bilenky folks. IIRC, the frameset was $925 out the door, the used case was $200 plus a bit of shipping, and the wad o' Bilenky stuff was right around $180 or $190 shipped. So for just over $1300, I'm set.

I'm happy with this choice, but had a hard time initially deciding what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted a coupled bike, but which one, and how? I currently travel most with my Habanero, so it was a top candidate. But then I wondered if I should target something even more versatile. If my Rawland Sogn 650B would have been here already, it likely would have been sent out for the chop-job. From what I've read, the Ritchey options are a slightly different approach, but many sizes require a case that's just over the max size for the airlines - so I was "out" on them. An Ibis Tranny looked appealing, though decidedly on the MTB end of the bike spectrum (which would have been good for visiting my buddy in Tahoe). Then the deal for the TCheck unexpectedly presented itself.

Bilenky charges $460 for a steel retrofit, and $795 for a Ti one. But the steel needs paint work too, so that narrows the cost difference (a little, or a lot depending on how you approach it).

Again, if I had more time, I might have taken the time to search out a good deal on a used frame to serve as a retrofit donor. Or I would have just ordered up another new Habanero Ti for the retrofit. Hmmmm, straight-gauge brushed Ti, in a nice 650B configuration. Versatile, relatively inexpensive, durable, easily replaceable, fits easily in the standard case. Possibly the perfect S&S travel bike?

thugly
06-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Anyone know of any builders who have licensed the Ritchey Breakaway system? The Ritchey ones seem nice, but are a little overpriced for overseas TIGged steel, and they come with a soft-sided case that doesn't offer much protection from the gorillaz. I'd rather pay a bit more for a full custom / hardcase.

For a travel bike, I think a nice folder has its place. Easy to bring into hotels after a ride, ditto for buses and subways en route.

forzapantani
07-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Jim,
Would you like a screamin' deal on my 2006 55cm tt Uniscasi Ti? Check the forum and you will find it.
Ciao,
Franc in Nor CA