PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Front Derailleur Swapping Thread

handsomerob
05-20-2008, 10:16 PM
there are two separate threads in the classifieds where this came up so I figured I would offer up a thread with some pics in General for reference.

If ANY "facts" I offer are not correct... please let me know and I will edit them accordingly.

First caveat... the new QS (Quick Shift) front derailleurs are supposedly riveted and the following doesn't apply. (I don't have any on hand so I don't know anything about them) However for pre-Quick Shift FDs....

8, 9, and 10 speed Campagnolo Front Derailleurs have the ability to be converted. This applies to braze ons, 28.6mm, 32mm, and 35mm clamps.

All the FD's "cages" slide on to two posts on the "clamp/braze on"

The Chorus and Record (and Racing T, at least the 9 speed version) have a single allen bolt as a "retainer" and the Centaur and lower level have a "C" washer thing (anyone know what it is called?) that clips into a groove on the post to keep the two parts connected. These differences restricts swapping to like level bits. Chorus/Record/Racing T to like and Centaur and below to like.

Step 1 - back out both the limit screws. If you forget to do this, you may have a harder time sliding the parts apart and might not be able to get them back together.

Step 2 - unscrew the bolt or remove the "C" thing and slide the pieces apart

Step 3 - swap bits

Step 4 - screw the bolts or snap on the "C" thing

Step 5 - mount it and go for a ride.

I have personally converted about 6 different FD's and I am far from the sharpest tool in the shed.

I will attach some pics later.

mschol17
05-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for this info Rob. Very helpful. Unfortunately, it tells me that I need to locate a 32 mm clamp since swapping my Veloce clamp onto a Record FD won't work...

handsomerob
05-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for this info Rob. Very helpful. Unfortunately, it tells me that I need to locate a 32 mm clamp since swapping my Veloce clamp onto a Record FD won't work...

you need a 32mm Chorus/Record clamp? what is on there now?

mschol17
05-21-2008, 08:59 AM
pm sent.