PDA

View Full Version : Integrated lighting

bumperjohn
05-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Hey all. I am putting together a fixed gear commuter and think I would like to integrate my headlight and tailight in to the design. I do not have any experience with lighting systems, other than the headlight I have mounted on my helmet as well as a flasher on my handlebars and blinkies on my bag. I will have a rear rack, not sure about a front rack yet. Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, pictures of your lighting systems, web sites, or general knowledge they could help me with here? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

John

hansolo758
05-20-2008, 06:50 PM
John:

Try this (http://peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm).

I have a Schmidt hub. I never worry about running out of battery juice. It works great but doesn't put out as much light as, for example, a Niterider system. If you accept that in traffic, the purpose of lighting is to be seen more than to see, dynamo lighting should be fine -- but you'll still need accessory lights if you want to see against bright car headlights. If you ride at night on country roads without much traffic, then a dynamo lighting system will be fine. Most people who commute will need both kinds of lighting systems.

bumperjohn
05-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Wow, there sure is a lot of information on that page. Thank you very much for the link. My primary reason for the lights is for my visibility as I am fortunate enough to ride trails on most of my commute.

John

mschol17
05-21-2008, 08:57 AM
+1 on the schmidt hub
The E6 works fantastic when it's really dark, but depending on your eyes it might not be enough light for you when there are streetlights. There are a couple new LED dynohub lights coming out that will put out a lot more light than the halogen, but they're pretty pricey.

Ahneida Ride
05-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Consider a DiNotte Tailight. There is no competition.

Just figure out how to mount it. I have Rack Mounts ( and no rack)

So I use a "C" clamp to mount the light to the rack mounts.
I got lucky ....

Light can be seen 1/2 a mile back. But one has to devise a proper
mounting system.

Ask Peter White how bright it is.

znfdl
05-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Consider a DiNotte Tailight. There is no competition.

The tailight is scary bright. Cars give me a 6ft berth. There is no substitute for birghtness.