PDA

View Full Version : Proper BB for a Ritchie Crankset

sam.g
09-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I've recently purchased Randy's CSI listed in these classifieds with the intent of transfering an existing 9 speed D/A group with a Ritchie 110 BCD to this frame. Before I jump into this project I'd like some advice on the proper BB to use with my Ritchie square taper 110BCD crankset. The CSI will arrive with a Record 111mm BB which I'd much prefer utilizing over an aging Real 108mm BB. I've already been advised that the proper BB length should be 107mm for the Ritchie, but if I'm willing to accept a slightly higher Q, does it really matter? More importantly will the Ritchie properly mate with the Campy taper or should I purchase a JIS taper crank such as a Phil Wood?

Dbrk, in your recent and excellent review of Emma, I note that it was also fit with a Ritchie crank and a Campy group, what are using for your bottom bracket? Additionally I note your use of 50/35 rings which I presume to be TA. To the best of my recollection, the TA Syrius rings are only are available in 34 or 36 sizes. I'm running a 50/36 combination but have contemplated a 34 or 35, where did you find a 35 and how does it shift?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Sam

DfCas
09-28-2004, 06:14 PM
On the Campy taper,since it will slide further up on it.I wouldn't risk damaging that non replacable Ritchey crank.I was lucky enough to find a Shimano UN-91 107 for mine,and it has a nice narrow Q.Shimano Un-73's are still around at about $25 and I think it would be wise to get one.I'm sure someone would buy the Campy from you.

Dan C.

Peter
09-28-2004, 06:22 PM
The problem with using the 111mm BB is not so much the Q-factor, which is a subjective thing, but how it will alter chainline and affect shifting.

You could use the 111 since it comes with the frame and see how it affects shifting-can you adjust the front derailleur for no rub? Is it noisier? Does the chain drop more often? And of course, the Italian/JIS dimension difference could affect chainring position even more. You can visually inspect to see if the axle bottoms out on the crankarm face by removing the crank bolt.

Those are some of the issues you should be paying attention to when you experiment. I vote for a proper length, JIS BB.

dbrk
09-28-2004, 08:04 PM
I've already been advised that the proper BB length should be 107mm for the Ritchie, but if I'm willing to accept a slightly higher Q, does it really matter? More importantly will the Ritchie properly mate with the Campy taper or should I purchase a JIS taper crank such as a Phil Wood?
Dbrk, in your recent and excellent review of Emma, I note that it was also fit with a Ritchie crank and a Campy group, what are using for your bottom bracket? Additionally I note your use of 50/35 rings which I presume to be TA. To the best of my recollection, the TA Syrius rings are only are available in 34 or 36 sizes. I'm running a 50/36 combination but have contemplated a 34 or 35, where did you find a 35 and how does it shift?

You can use the longer spindle without giving up anything but Q factor. Keep it low! That's the general notion. I use a Shimano bb, any cheap cartridge one that works is fine with a JIS spindle. Don't try to mate this crank to a Campag spindle.

My Ritchey has the splined Shimano bb (we can only hope those will be around for awhile...) and it came with the 50/35 in black rings. I couldn't make that up but TA will sell you most any size. I think the ramped rings thing with TA is way over rated: they all shift the same for me. I'm using the Ritchey crank and stock rings (must be Sugino made...) with DA9, Record/Chorus9 and Record10 and the shifts are all the same, just fine. If shifting needs to be better than this then it's the Princess and the pea.

dbrk