PDA

View Full Version : Prescription cycling Shades for bifocal crowd?

jmr986
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
anyone get Oakleys, Smith's or any of the other "active lifestyle" script sunglasses made with a bifocal? Sport RX has indicated they can make the Flak jackets with my script. I tried on a number of Oakleys and do like them. I don't want a conventional style. Wnat something that will handle all the sweating and stay put. I understand the wrap around style causes the problem with the lens script.

Frank Draper
05-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Have you given consideration to contacts. I wore glasses for 40 years and then made the leap to contacts, especially when doing outdoor sports (cycling, kayaking, etc.) and love them. Also, contacts allow you to wear all those cool looking non-prescription shades.

Louis
05-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Why bifocals? Wouldn't just distance vision be enough for riding?

palincss
05-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Why bifocals? Wouldn't just distance vision be enough for riding?

Not if you'd like to read a cue sheet or a bicycle computer, it wouldn't.

palincss
05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
I use RayBan aviators with prescription lenses.

Louis
05-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Not if you'd like to read a cue sheet or a bicycle computer, it wouldn't.

Ah, cue sheets. I do maybe one ride every two or three years that has cue sheets...

jmr986
05-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Have you given consideration to contacts. I wore glasses for 40 years and then made the leap to contacts, especially when doing outdoor sports (cycling, kayaking, etc.) and love them. Also, contacts allow you to wear all those cool looking non-prescription shades.

Frank,

I asked at my last eye exam. Because of my vision problems they wouldn't provide the same level of clarity as glasses. I was hoping to go with contacts then I could get all the cool shades. But, I'm at the computer all day so I want the sort of clear vision I get with glasses.

BumbleBeeDave
05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I hear Super Serotta Surgeon Sandy will do them while you wait . . . You just have to sit very still while you're waiting . . .

BBD

rounder
05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I wear bifocals as my everyday glasses but have single prescription sunglasses. My regular glasses are progressive bifocals and, for me, my peripheral vision with them is not as good as with single prescription when bike riding.

Ken Robb
05-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I know that there are many different patterns in progressive lenses. My first were VariLux which seem to be the most $$$. I had no problem right from the start. My next pair was some rom Lenscrafters that would be "just as good". Not for me. I returned them and had them make me some VariLux and all was well again. Until I learned better I thought that the "fade zone" from near to distance was a straight horizontal across the lens. WRONG! It looks more like melting ice cream running down the side of a soda glass but the specific shapes vary from model to model and may well be patented. I'm sure the second sample I have must work or lots of people so I think folks should try different model lenses if they aren't happy with the peripheral vision or other aspects of the progressives they have. My prescription for distance and astigmatism is strong enough that my peripheral vision is a bit off even with my straight prescription lenses in Ray Ban frame. They, by the way, are made in Italy and have a slight curvature-wrap-around feature that works fine for cycling but, alas, I can't read the computer or a map with them.

victoryfactory
05-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Talk to Bret at Sports Optical in Colorado.
He can put most prescriptions including bifocals
in a large range of sports frames including
the popular brands.
Pricy, but great quality work

VF

Blue Jays
05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
The sunglasses shouldn't slip as long as they're worn with the earstems beneath the helmet straps....
;) ;) ;)

rounder
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Robb]I know that there are many different patterns in progressive lenses. My first were VariLux which seem to be the most $$$. I had no problem right from the start. My next pair was some rom Lenscrafters that would be "just as good". Not for me. I returned them and had them make me some VariLux and all was well again.

Thanks Ken. I didn't know there were diffrerent versions of progressive lenses available. Will check into that.

jimp1234
05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I've had good luck riding with progressives in regular "sporty" frames (mine are Tag Heuer) and last month got some Rudy Project Rydon's from Sports Optical which are working out well so far.

Dave
05-20-2008, 05:55 PM
I've had these Rudy's for small faces for a couple of seasons. I've got a strong prescription (-5.50) and bifocals. Rudy has their own prescription service. Got them at a local optometrist.

http://www.sportsoptical.com/store/rudy_project_prescription.html

Can't say how they will work in extreme heat and/or humidity - it never gets that hot or humid in the Denver area and I always ride in the morning.

happycampyer
05-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I have the half jackets, M frame and racing jackets in RX, and they all work great--stay put, well ventilated, excellent clarity, etc. The lenses were all made by Oakley with the same materials, coatings, etc. as their non-RX lenses. The half jackets are probably the most versatile (i.e, they look like regular sport sunglasses), but for riding the racing jackets are probably the most protective because of the full frame. The lenses for my regular glasses are progressive, but my Oakleys are all fixed (distance) correction. Oakley does offer progressive lens options if you want/need it. I think that one limitation of frames like the M frame, and maybe the racing jackets too, is that the curvature of the lens limits the amount of correction, which I think I'm at the limit of in one eye (+300 or so?).

Alan
05-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I just got a pair of Rudy Project Horus from Sport RX with progressive bifocals. They are great and the pricing was reasonable - $365. They did a nice job on the lenses. Give them a call as they do very good work. I spoke to Rob who is a cyclist.

Link is:
http://www.bicyclerx.com/product.php?code=rp-ho

Feel free to pm me w questions but give Rob a call.

Alan

jmr986
05-21-2008, 09:58 AM
I just got a pair of Rudy Project Horus from Sport RX with progressive bifocals. They are great and the pricing was reasonable - $365. They did a nice job on the lenses. Give them a call as they do very good work. I spoke to Rob who is a cyclist.

Link is:
http://www.bicyclerx.com/product.php?code=rp-ho

Feel free to pm me w questions but give Rob a call.

Alan
Alan,

Yes I've been playing phone tag with Rob. I've seen quotes as high as $500+ for Oakley's with progressive bifocals (I paid $668 for my regular glasses). I tried on a variety of Oakley's and the flak jackets fit me a little better than the half jackets. So I'll give him a call.

joe

BumpyintheBurgh
05-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm a contact lens and progressive bifocal glasses wearer who had the same problem when selecting sunglasses in a progressive bifocal lens that wouldn't distort your vision. My optometrist suggested just wearing one contact lens and non-prescription sunglasses. I'm near sighted so when I wear both contacts when riding, my far vision is great but I can't read the cycle computer or cue sheet or any small print. Now when I ride, just pop in one contact lens and regular shades and it works well. I have both near & distance vision. It takes a little getting used to but when you are outside riding a bike the difference between each eyes vision is not as apparent or disconcerting as it might be if you were inside reading a book or watching TV.

jmr986
05-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm a contact lens and progressive bifocal glasses wearer who had the same problem when selecting sunglasses in a progressive bifocal lens that wouldn't distort your vision. My optometrist suggested just wearing one contact lens and non-prescription sunglasses. I'm near sighted so when I wear both contacts when riding, my far vision is great but I can't read the cycle computer or cue sheet or any small print. Now when I ride, just pop in one contact lens and regular shades and it works well. I have both near & distance vision. It takes a little getting used to but when you are outside riding a bike the difference between each eyes vision is not as apparent or disconcerting as it might be if you were inside reading a book or watching TV.

That's an interesting alternative. My wife wears one lens also. She has the worst equilibrium than anyone I know. But, she has no problems with the intermittant wearing of the lens.

RPS
05-21-2008, 11:19 AM
My first were VariLux which seem to be the most $$$. I had no problem right from the start.+1

I use relatively large safety lenses for added protection. Cycling-specific glasses are not an option for me.