PDA

View Full Version : patching tubulars

link
05-20-2008, 06:57 AM
I had the unfortunate situation of flatting my rear tire on Saturday and then the front on Sunday.

Usually when this happens - rare that it is - the tire is worn enough to not merit a patching. In this case, we're talking about fairly new tires.

So I sat down Saturday night and began peeling off the tape. 30 minutes later I had pumped the tire back up and let it sit overnight to assure I had success. I'll address the front tire tonight in the same fashion.

It's not a bother at all ...I rather enjoyed it.

Although, this does say something about having a spare wheelset glued with good rubber and ready to roll ...not to mention a cache of spare tires.

cadence231
05-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I had the unfortunate situation of flatting my rear tire on Saturday and then the front on Sunday.

Usually when this happens - rare that it is - the tire is worn enough to not merit a patching. In this case, we're talking about fairly new tires.

So I sat down Saturday night and began peeling off the tape. 30 minutes later I had pumped the tire back up and let it sit overnight to assure I had success. I'll address the front tire tonight in the same fashion.

It's not a bother at all ...I rather enjoyed it.

Although, this does say something about having a spare wheelset glued with good rubber and ready to roll ...not to mention a cache of spare tires.

Good on you!
I have just made the switch back to tubulars after a long hiatus.
On my last tire order I had the merchant add on a tubular repair kit for just such circumstances that you ran into. I almost can't wait to get a flat to reaquaint myself with the repair process. It scares me to think what I thought constituted a repair in my youth and I don't think I will be taking such a lackadaisical approach as I used to when trusting my less than adequate youthful skills.

keithreynolds
05-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Question on the tubular repair process;

I have an old tubular that has a leak and I'm forging new ground with tubulars. I've un-stuck a section of base tape (~6") and essentially using a seam ripper cut the stitched section where the tubular casing is joined and found the slice. Since it's butyl I'll use a standard patch. Once that's patched, I'll sew the casing back together with whatever I have on hand in a sewing kit.

Q: What about re-attaching the base tape to the casing, do folks prefer anything over the mastik glue?

Thanks

tbushnel
05-21-2008, 10:05 AM
this previous post should be helpful. There are also others - just use the search feature.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=45145&highlight=basetape

Cheers,
ted.

keithreynolds
05-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I should have tried the search feature first. Next time I'll do that first.

tbushnel
05-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I should have tried the search feature first. Next time I'll do that first.

I meant to put in an appropriate emoticon like :) after my suggestion to search. Certainly not meant as an admonition.
good luck with the basetape :beer:
ted