PDA

View Full Version : Look honey, no holes!

brians647
05-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Okay, I don't get it.

When I bought my Colnago CT2, I thought it was cool that there was no drainage hole at the bottom of the frame. "Hey, who needs it? This ti stuff lasts forever!"

However, I'm finding that I need it. Without it, water collects there and it just cost me a bottom bracket (or the bearings, you choose. Shimano) :crap: . Typically, I stay on top of the water issue, but I got lazy the last two months.

So, what's the deal? Should there be a hole? Did some Italian frame builder forget to drill that one last hole when he got back from lunch? Should I do it? Can it be done without wreaking havoc on the frame or paint?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Blue Jays
05-19-2008, 10:11 PM
When you send your bicycle out to Tom Kellogg to be repainted someday, ask if he and Jeff Duser can retrofit their tres-cool chamfered drain at the bottom.
It's a very nice touch.

brians647
05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
When you send your bicycle out to Tom Kellogg to be repainted someday, ask if he and Jeff Duser can retrofit their tres-cool chamfered drain at the bottom.
It's a very nice touch.

I hope it's a while before it needs a repainting (this is one of the few Colnago paint jobs that I LOVE), but when I do I'll ask for that.

From that statement, I guess there are no interim fixes, eh?

By the way, did Kellogg/Spectrum design and fabricate this bike? Someone told me that once and I never have confirmed it...

Anyhoo, thanks for the input!

WickedWheels
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
I used to drill drain holes in my customers' Seven Cycles frames because otherwise the BB shells would get so corroded that they would need to be chiseled out. I called them before doing each one so that it would not void the warranty. You may want to do the same with Colnago.

I drilled the holes right next to the other hole of the plastic BB cable guide. You have to be careful to sand down the inside of the BB shell, as the titanium will often "stick out".

Another good trick... use plumber's tape on the BB threads. This will also help to prevent serious corrosion.

And one more... if you don't mind the aesthetics... when you grease the seatpost (assuming it's not carbon) don't wipe off the excess grease that forms around the post when you insert it back into the frame. Same goes for the water bottle bolts. The extra grease help to form a little bit of a seal to keep large amounts of water out. That way you shouldn't have to worry about much more than condensation.

brians647
05-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks Wicked.

I'll try the last few first. I actually have changed seat posts in the past to try and limit the amount of water that gets down there. Regardless, those are all really good ideas. Maybe i can avoid drilling holes for a while!

Thanks again.

Blue Jays
05-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I doubt that Tom Kellogg & Jeff Duser were involved in the design/fabrication of your Colnago bicycle. They could undoubtedly create a perfect chamfered drain (with threaded extension) that would work perfectly and never be a cause for problems on the bicycle. :beer:

brians647
05-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I doubt that Tom Kellogg & Jeff Duser were involved in the design/fabrication of your Colnago bicycle. They could undoubtedly create a perfect chamfered drain (with threaded extension) that would work perfectly and never be a cause for problems on the bicycle. :beer:

Yeah, you're right about that! I finally decided to go straight to the source and called Spectrum. Their response was, "we had no collaboration or input with Colnago." So, there you go! They probably would've addressed that properly, although a buddy's Merlin lacks a drain hole.

Maybe their bikes are just more water tight! ;)

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2008, 08:10 AM
. . . and come to think of it, that's about the only thing that isn't perfect about my Serotta. Water does accumulate in there, and during one service at the LBS after several rides in the rain and a hosing off afterward to get rid of the road grime, the mechanic told me he got almost half a cup of water out of the frame. so now after a rainy ride I take the seatpost out and hang the frame by the front wheel down in the basement. That makes it hang at an angle that makes everything drain out through the seatpost hole. Sounds weird but it works . . .

BBD

brians647
05-22-2008, 10:07 AM
I hear you BBD. Thank you!

Kevan
05-22-2008, 10:27 AM
and thought a modest application on rubber cement (excess wiped off while wet) around the collar and compression slit would help in weather proofing that area. Just a thought.

musgravecycles
05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Here's where I stand on the issue...
;)
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z311/jhcakilmer/92.jpg?t=1208053261

brians647
05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Here's where I stand on the issue...
;)
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z311/jhcakilmer/92.jpg?t=1208053261

Holy cow. When the bottom bracket of a bike looks that good, I can't imagine what the rest looks like. Sick.

Also, thanks Kevan, I'll give that a shot. Whatever I'm doing to the cups (grease) is working at only keeping the water in, so I need to go further up the frame. Yours is a good suggestion. Thanks! :beer:

Ahneida Ride
05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
. . . and come to think of it, that's about the only thing that isn't perfect about my Serotta. Water does accumulate in there, and during one service at the LBS after several rides in the rain and a hosing off afterward to get rid of the road grime, the mechanic told me he got almost half a cup of water out of the frame. so now after a rainy ride I take the seatpost out and hang the frame by the front wheel down in the basement. That makes it hang at an angle that makes everything drain out through the seatpost hole. Sounds weird but it works . . .

BBD

BBD

Isn't the plastic cable guide under the BB secured with a screw?
Removing the screw should drain the BB .... Eh ...

Is the screw located on you frame ?