PDA

View Full Version : planning ahead, turning 40

jimcav
05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
so, i've been thinking about turning 40. this is more than a year away, so plenty of time to plan (budget may be another issue, depends on what i do)

sadly i did not plan far enough ahead for a sachs or a "for me" vanilla. but was curious what others have done/suggest. and please NO lolita thailand tour suggestions. i'm talking about riding--and in case that is not clear, something bicycle related.

My 1st choice is a cycle camp/tour associated with a tour--tour de france, tour of california is of course more realistic as i'll be in san diego, but my kids will be 6 and 3, so not sure on being gone for any significant time. plus my job will be such i could be on a sub underwater. Anyone do something like this?

2nd is probably selling a bike and ordering a custom JKS

3rd is buying the new wireless SRM/Garmin and entering another ironman--but again it would suck to enter/train and then have an op call me away at that time.

4th is maybe a mtb skills camp--but i doubt i'll get to mtb enough in SD to make that worthwhile.

thanks for any thoughts, suggestions
jim

csm
05-19-2008, 05:33 PM
have a big party and invite all your forum friends.

jimcav
05-19-2008, 05:41 PM
and everyone checks their bike and keys at the door, and then we have a key party, only it is permanent.

i'm sure my wife will in fact throw me a party. she does not share my cycling passion, but tolerates it.

thanks
jim

Erik.Lazdins
05-19-2008, 05:46 PM
I've been there and done that kind of -

At 39 I placed a deposit with Mr. Sachs and was very pleased to gain a place in his work queue.

My present still hasn't come up -but I'm still happy that it will some day!

:beer:

DukeHorn
05-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Does it need to include the kids? Since you seem to bike a lot already, I'd actually recommend different sports here in CA (with one choice in WY and one in WA) (against your direct wishes :) ). I mean you're sort of in year round cycling mecca, do something else for your 40th!!

If no kids, I'd say maybe hike to the top of Mt. Whitney in CA since it's the highest peak in the lower 48 states. That's a good milestone kind of event and you're close enough to do it as a long weekend. If you want to go further, perhaps climb Mt. Shasta in Northern California with a guide service.

With kids, maybe head down the coast to Baja and do a sea-kayaking trip and check out the whales and dolphins. Kids could probably be taken care at a resort.

Or head up to the San Juan Islands and sea kayak up there and visit Seattle.

If you want a luxurious adventure kind of vacation. Check out Otter Bar for whitewater kayaking in a bed and breakfast setting. Probably one of the best whitewater schools in the US. www.otterbar.com

Or go to Jackson Wy and climb the Grand Tetons with Exum guides. You'll probably have some climbing superstar as your guide (I met a few famous climbers that show up frequently in Outside magazine this way). Exum is amazing. The analogy is like biking with someone on the Discovery Team. I met Stephen Koch this way while he was trying to finish off snowboarding the Seven Summits.

Or take a surf camp in San Diego (I'll be down there for a surf camp in July). That might be a good sport to do with the little ones out on the beach.

That's the domestic stuff :).

If cycling, how about the AIDS ride from SF to LA (and then keep on going down to San Diego. You'll be able to knock off quite a bit of the CA Coast that way.

bostondrunk
05-19-2008, 06:01 PM
so, i've been thinking about turning 40. this is more than a year away, so plenty of time to plan (budget may be another issue, depends on what i do)

sadly i did not plan far enough ahead for a sachs or a "for me" vanilla. but was curious what others have done/suggest. and please NO lolita thailand tour suggestions. i'm talking about riding--and in case that is not clear, something bicycle related.

My 1st choice is a cycle camp/tour associated with a tour--tour de france, tour of california is of course more realistic as i'll be in san diego, but my kids will be 6 and 3, so not sure on being gone for any significant time. plus my job will be such i could be on a sub underwater. Anyone do something like this?

3rd is buying the new wireless SRM/Garmin and entering another ironman--but again it would suck to enter/train and then have an op call me away at that time.

4th is maybe a mtb skills camp--but i doubt i'll get to mtb enough in SD to make that worthwhile.

jim

I would take your first choice, a TDF tour vacation. I know a couple of people who have done this, and they said it was an amazing experience. No doubt you'd want to shop around to figure out which company is the best to go with, which ones will provide you with the best access, etc.

Oh, and sell a bike, and get the JKS to take on the trip with you.. :)

jimcav
05-19-2008, 06:02 PM
surfing and kayaking would be cool.
my current plan is all about me, as i can do a family thing on any weekend--and i already have a list--legoland, idyllwild, sea world, etc.

thanks
jim

jimcav
05-19-2008, 06:04 PM
I would take your first choice, a TDF tour vacation. I know a couple of people who have done this, and they said it was an amazing experience. No doubt you'd want to shop around to figure out which company is the best to go with, which ones will provide you with the best access, etc.

Oh, and sell a bike, and get the JKS to take on the trip with you.. :)

i shouldn't just sell both bikes, get the JKS with the SRM, take the tour, come back and do an ironman (or maybe even an IM at an international venue)?

jim

DukeHorn
05-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I added on a cycling trip as my last thought. The AIDS ride from SF to LA (and then just keep on going down to San Diego).

If you do tris, how about the Escape from Alcatraz up in SF? Not an Ironman, but the swim is pretty tough and there will be lots of top flite talent out.

http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/site3.aspx

terry b
05-19-2008, 06:09 PM
I had bikes built by Dave Kirk and Sacha White.

A month later I won a C50 in an raffle.

But that was for 50, not 40 so you should do something less extravagant.

For birthday 40, I got remarried, on my birthday, in Las Vegas at a drive-up wedding chapel followed by our reception, a bottle of champagne in a Safeway parking lot and then a big multi-course Thai dinner.

Buzz
05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
If you want to tie in something with the Tour of California do the trip offered by Steve Hampsten or their Spring Ritiro which is a month later. Both in the Los Alamos / Los Olivos /Solvang area. You can drive there from San Diego. A guaranteed great time. You can drink lots of red wine with Serotta Pete, Tom Byrnes and a whole cast of characters. These are both very reasonably priced outings. Check the website under Ritiro heading.

To make it even better, have him dream up a special bike for you. You will probably be able to do the trip and bike for the same price of some of your other options.

Good luck and welcome to the 40s.

Jeff Weir
05-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Forget the big party. Take that money and "hire" one of the girls from Emperors Club to be your riding partner & masseuse for a week in Mexico. No camping. Hotels only. You'd get in a lot of quality training. Please remember to take pics and post them in the Rides section. Now THAT would be a 40th to remember.

jimcav
05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Forget the big party. Take that money and "hire" one of the girls from Emperors Club to be your riding partner & masseuse for a week in Mexico. No camping. Hotels only. You'd get in a lot of quality training. Please remember to take pics and post them in the Rides section. Now THAT would be a 40th to remember.

but what is an emperer's club--this isn't something where elliot spitzer is a member is it?

jim

jimcav
05-19-2008, 07:05 PM
If you want to tie in something with the Tour of California do the trip offered by Steve Hampsten or their Spring Ritiro which is a month later. Both in the Los Alamos / Los Olivos /Solvang area. You can drive there from San Diego. A guaranteed great time. You can drink lots of red wine with Serotta Pete, Tom Byrnes and a whole cast of characters. These are both very reasonably priced outings. Check the website under Ritiro heading.

To make it even better, have him dream up a special bike for you. You will probably be able to do the trip and bike for the same price of some of your other options.

Good luck and welcome to the 40s.
might be perfect
thanks
jim

Ken Robb
05-19-2008, 07:43 PM
you will soon be able to check out my Hampsten Strada Bianca and see if that might be something you "need"> :) :beer:

Fixed
05-19-2008, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=jimcav]
. she does not share my cycling passion, but tolerates it.

bro you are not alone
imho
cheers

Jeff Weir
05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
but what is an emperer's club--this isn't something where elliot spitzer is a member is it?

jim

Yes Jim, Elliot used them, but not to ride bikes.

BumbleBeeDave
05-19-2008, 09:17 PM

jim

. . . he will be known as "Client #40th!" :banana:

have a big party and invite all your forum friends.

. . . and paying all our expenses out to your party would also be real nice.

BBD

markie
05-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I just did a mountain bike trip hitting up trails around Las Vegas (Bootleg Canyon) and St George (Gooseberry Mesa) also did the Angels Landing hike in Zion. Nine days of riding sweet trails in a row.

Got to hang out with three good friends and drink a bunch o' beer, too. At the end my wife flew out to Vegas to hang out for four days.

That was an awesome trip and it was not even my birthday. :banana:

scrooge
05-19-2008, 10:52 PM
MTB hut trip in Utah?

bigbill
05-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I'll go ride with you. I will be on the Nimitz in November 09. I'll be 44 by then.

CaptStash
05-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Don't know what to tell you Jim. I awarded myself a tablesaw for my 40th.

CaptStash....

whitecda
05-20-2008, 06:13 AM
My lovely bride got me on DK's list in Feb as my big 50 present. I obviously didn't have it for my big day yesterday, BUT a box from Peter White showed up with a shiny Phil BB and Carmina crank for the new bike. That was quite a treat in itself! And I get to have another celebration when the frame gets hear later this year. A whole year of little (and big) boxes showing up! Good times!

MarcusPless
05-20-2008, 08:26 AM
...and no one did anything out of the ordinary...

johnnymossville
05-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Since it's all about you,... with minimal planning and preparation, hop on a touring bike with a couple panniers, and ride across this great country, camping by the road or staying in cheap motels once in awhile. You'll have some time to think about what you're gonna do with the next 40 years. You'll meet some great and not so great people along the way, see some amazing things, and you'll no doubt have some great stories to tell.

or maybe not. :p

andy mac
05-20-2008, 08:53 AM
if you are thinking of the TDF why not do l'etape?!?!?

you 'race' or ride the longest stage a few days before the tour goes through. then you get to kick back and watch the skinny guys carve it up.

that way you have a goal, get to enjoy the race and gain a better understanding. a few friends have done it and raved about the experience. i trained for it but sadly missed it due to injury. one day...

http://www.letapedutour.com/2008/ETDT/presentation/us/index.htm

http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/index.html?letour/etape.html~main

(i turn 40 later in the year and can't work out what to do. maybe the new bmw 450 enduro bike?!?!?!)

andy

rpm
05-20-2008, 09:08 AM
I just got my latest issue of National Geographic Adventure magazine and it highlighted climbing the Grand Teton as a great adventure for a novice climber. You have to go to Exum school for a bit beforehand, but you can do it without previous experience if you're fit.

By the way, 40 is a great age. You're old enough to have learned some things about life and you've gotten good at some things, but you're young enough that you've given away very little physically. I hope you're able to enjoy the heck out of the next decade.

scrooge
05-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Actually, this is what I'd do if i could...or do something with the amount of time available (ride up the Pacific coast?)

Since it's all about you,... with minimal planning and preparation, hop on a touring bike with a couple panniers, and ride across this great country, camping by the road or staying in cheap motels once in awhile. You'll have some time to think about what you're gonna do with the next 40 years. You'll meet some great and not so great people along the way, see some amazing things, and you'll no doubt have some great stories to tell.

or maybe not. :p

14max
05-20-2008, 10:58 AM

jimcav
05-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Jim - I really like milestone gifts. My recent ones include a Goodrich and a Kirk. The Kirk is a graduation gift to myself for completing my Master's degree in 2007. The Goodrich is a future graduation (working on 2nd Master's)/40th birthday gift for 2010. I'd suggest finding the builder you want (except Richard or Sacha) to create your dream bike. Let this be the one you ride into the sunset...

except i sort of have a deal where if a bike comes in, one goes out.
but we will see
thanks
jim

jimcav
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
if you are thinking of the TDF why not do l'etape?!?!?

you 'race' or ride the longest stage a few days before the tour goes through. then you get to kick back and watch the skinny guys carve it up.

that way you have a goal, get to enjoy the race and gain a better understanding. a few friends have done it and raved about the experience. i trained for it but sadly missed it due to injury. one day...

http://www.letapedutour.com/2008/ETDT/presentation/us/index.htm

http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/index.html?letour/etape.html~main

(i turn 40 later in the year and can't work out what to do. maybe the new bmw 450 enduro bike?!?!?!)

andy
i just have to consider what i'll be doing, submarine operations, etc (oh, and cost)
thanks--i'd love to do that.
jim

jimcav
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I'll go ride with you. I will be on the Nimitz in November 09. I'll be 44 by then.

don't know why, but I did.
riding sounds like a plan!

the weekend was beautiful--hope you got to ride
jim

Michael Maddox
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Jim,

I'm turning 40 on June 6 next year. I'm planning a trip to the Giro, hopefully with the Hampstens. I hope to have this finalized sometime in the next few months.

You should come, too. My wife doesn't ride and barely tolerates my passion for the sport.

Michael

jimcav
05-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Jim,

I'm turning 40 on June 6 next year. I'm planning a trip to the Giro, hopefully with the Hampstens. I hope to have this finalized sometime in the next few months.

You should come, too. My wife doesn't ride and barely tolerates my passion for the sport.

Michael
that is 2 months early for me, but once i get to SD and see how the job goes-that is plenty of lead time.
thanks!
jim

Michael Maddox
05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
that is 2 months early for me, but once i get to SD and see how the job goes-that is plenty of lead time.
thanks!
jim
Man, that would be great! As it is, it looks like I might be a single at this point. Having a buddy along would make for a great trip. Of course, we'd have to plant the flag of Margaritaville on top of the Mortirolo...

...or maybe just a banana.

bigbill
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
don't know why, but I did.
riding sounds like a plan!

the weekend was beautiful--hope you got to ride
jim

I am not retiring until sometime after 2012. There is no O-4 job for me in the Bremerton/Bangor area so I have to go to SD to stay on the same coast. We have done Norfolk and have no interest in going back. If I stay in after the carrier tour, we will probably head to Hawaii again, we liked that.

I commuted all last week and rode on Saturday. Saturday's ride was only 30 since I was spent from 210 of commuting during the week. I hit 46 mph on Port Gamble road west of Lincoln. I was riding the BLE with my Joe Young wheelset with PW hubs. 46 mph never felt so smooth.

jimcav
05-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I love that downhill toward miller bay--you don't really need to brake, but it feels like you do, but then you climb up to totten and totten is a slow grind too.
at the end of the week, i'm tired too, and i don't go as far, but most days the (near) end of my ride is going up the hill by central market--which some days just plain hurts (trigger gate--clear creek--lofall (past your's), big valley, little valley, forest rock lane, caldart--which ends near my house).

somewhere in seabeck, on the silverdale bike shop saturday am rides (btw i think they go at 9:30 now, used to be 10 or 11 last year) i hit 51 on the spectrum. had no idea. it was smooth

jim

bigbill
05-20-2008, 05:12 PM
I love that downhill toward miller bay--you don't really need to brake, but it feels like you do, but then you climb up to totten and totten is a slow grind too.
at the end of the week, i'm tired too, and i don't go as far, but most days the (near) end of my ride is going up the hill by central market--which some days just plain hurts (trigger gate--clear creek--lofall (past your's), big valley, little valley, forest rock lane, caldart--which ends near my house).

somewhere in seabeck, on the silverdale bike shop saturday am rides (btw i think they go at 9:30 now, used to be 10 or 11 last year) i hit 51 on the spectrum. had no idea. it was smooth

jim

Toward Gunderson. My commute feels easier all the time even though I have to climb quite a bit on the way home. The predominate wind is from the south, so I have a push from Bremerton to the house.

The high speed descent was probably Anderson Hill heading towards Seabeck. I rode it a few weeks ago and was trying to hit 50 but a car was in the way. The climb up the other side is 20% so it pays to go as fast as possible on the way down. The ride from Silverdale leaves at 8am. I use it for a recovery ride by leaving from the house so I still end up with 40+ miles at a relaxed pace.

72gmc
05-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I have 2.5 years to plan for 40. At present I think it may look something like this (pic borrowed from the custom gallery):

paczki
05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Why not instead of a material gift, prepare to do something for your 40th that you would have a hard time doing now -- like the PBP or the Eroica!

Ti Designs
05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
For my 40th I had 40 scoops of ice cream and a beer. It started at 12:01AM while I was at a bar with some friends. The bar tender pulls out a pint of Ben & Jerry's and I knock off the first 4 scoops in under 10 minutes. I got home and finished off the Guinness ice cream for another 2 scoops before turning in. The next day the Harvard women's team took me out on a tour of the north shore with stops at 8 different ice cream places. I got back from the ride 6 scoops short, so I showed up at the party that night with a six pack - of Klondike bars that is. I rode well that night in the drunken crit, not that anyone was keeping score.

jimcav
05-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Toward Gunderson. My commute feels easier all the time even though I have to climb quite a bit on the way home. The predominate wind is from the south, so I have a push from Bremerton to the house.

The high speed descent was probably Anderson Hill heading towards Seabeck. I rode it a few weeks ago and was trying to hit 50 but a car was in the way. The climb up the other side is 20% so it pays to go as fast as possible on the way down. The ride from Silverdale leaves at 8am. I use it for a recovery ride by leaving from the house so I still end up with 40+ miles at a relaxed pace.
the one i did last year was at 10am i think, and it was not slow or easy. and it was 55-60 miles. i hear it is worse when joe holmes is there, but i only rode a few times. at least 2 guys there were cat 1/2. right now i'd not be able to pull on front much--after my business trip to VA, i lost all motivation to ride hard in the rain.
jim

jimcav
05-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Why not instead of a material gift, prepare to do something for your 40th that you would have a hard time doing now -- like the PBP or the Eroica!

that is why the ironman is on the list.

thanks
jim

oldcolonia
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM

jim

43 K on foot, 100 miles on a bike, 53 K on ski's. It worked for me.

barry1021
05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
For my 40th I had 40 scoops of ice cream and a beer. It started at 12:01AM while I was at a bar with some friends. The bar tender pulls out a pint of Ben & Jerry's and I knock off the first 4 scoops in under 10 minutes. I got home and finished off the Guinness ice cream for another 2 scoops before turning in. The next day the Harvard women's team took me out on a tour of the north shore with stops at 8 different ice cream places. I got back from the ride 6 scoops short, so I showed up at the party that night with a six pack - of Klondike bars that is. I rode well that night in the drunken crit, not that anyone was keeping score.

So where was the "stupid" part?? :banana:
That sounds like a lil bit of heaven to me, altho the sugar buzz would be a little intense.....

b21

dauwhe
05-22-2008, 09:05 AM

You, sir, are my hero! :banana:

Dave