PDA

View Full Version : Rattle inside of UT crank arm!

Kervin
05-18-2008, 08:58 PM
What a bummer. I took a set of Record UT cranks off my bike today after a ride. I posted them on the forum and sold them. I go to pack them up and I hear a noise. I shake the left crank arm and and it sounds like carbon bit or something is floating around in the hollow arm. I got them used, but hardly ridden. Do you think Campy would cover this?

Marcusaurelius
05-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I think it would depend on how well you know your local campagnolo dealer. Also, how generous your local dealer is. I would suspect campagnolo usa would only want to offer three year warrany on parts that were bought new hence the local campagnolo dealer being the best bet.

Louis
05-18-2008, 09:31 PM
FWIW, I'd say that there's a high likelihood that it's purely a "cosmetic" thing and not structural. Of course, you wouldn't know without expensive non-destructive testing, or cheap (hacksaw) destructive testing.

If Campy refuses to warranty them I'd:

1) Offer the buyer a discount (say, 25-50 %) and with full disclosure sell it as is, or,

2) Just keep riding them myself, with occasional inspections to check for nasty stuff.

Good Luck
Louis