PDA

View Full Version : Preferred method of washing wool jerseys

Bruce K
05-18-2008, 02:16 PM
So I FINALLY decided to try the retro look and wore my Finger Lakes Ramble jersey (thanks again Ginger) on today's ride.

Comfortable, perfect weight, all the things everyone said it would be.

So now, here's the problem. The washing instructions say:

1. Hand wash
2. Wash on gentle
3. Dry clean

#1 is doable if I go buy some Woolite. #2 is easy to do when I wash all my other gear. #3 seems stupid and expensive.

Ideas please?

BK

Chris
05-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Blue Jays
05-18-2008, 05:45 PM
My woolen riding gear is washed only with other wool riding jerseys, inside out, using the gentle cycle set to cold water. Line dry.
Garments literally last forever using that method. :beer:

Erik.Lazdins
05-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Swobo jersey - 2 years old - washed with tide or cheer or whatever else - along with normal stuff. Despite this horrific washing abuse - its still my favorite jersey.

No need to baby wool

Bruce K
05-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys.

It went in with the other gear on gentle cycle and is now hanging on my drying rack.

BK

PBWrench
05-18-2008, 05:57 PM
I agree with above posters. Wool jerseys go into washser in handwash mode with whatever detergent. Dry on nice hanger that preserves shape. Cheers.

scrooge
05-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Only worn it once? Why are you washing it already?

Seriously...

gdw
05-18-2008, 07:01 PM
One of wool's chief advatages over synthetic fabrics is that it doesn't smell baaaaaaaaaaaaad after one ride.

Bruce K
05-18-2008, 07:02 PM
'cuz sweat marks look lousy on a blue jersey. :rolleyes:

BK

Ken Robb
05-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Rivendell sells lots of wool jersies and they strongly recommend we NOT use Woolite. Tehy say it strips natural oils from the wool and makes in scratchy and weaker. I'd have to read my instructions again as to what soaps they like besides the Kookaburra stuff they sell. I machine wash my woolies on Gentle with Ivory lakes I think and then flat dry on a towel.

More aggressive washing and/or using a dryer can be used to shrink and thicken your woolies to taste. Wow custom jersies at no extra cost.

Crazy Chris
05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo in cold water gentle cycle, flat dry. THe Johnson's recommendation came from an old VeloNews. Seems to work.

CJV

taylorj
05-19-2008, 05:23 PM
I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo in cold water gentle cycle, flat dry. THe Johnson's recommendation came from an old VeloNews. Seems to work.

CJV

+1 or Ivory Soap. Woolite will make it itchey and it might even start to smell...

shoe
05-20-2008, 12:09 AM
i have hand washed with the kookaburra stuff and like the smell. lots of times they make it in the machine for what ever is going through...wool is the new aluminum...dave