PDA

View Full Version : The Fat Lady Sings: Emma on the Road

dbrk
09-28-2004, 06:35 AM
My Big Leg Emma arrived with the custom (and interestingly one-off in lugs and details) Luigino and both were built up while I was off playing yoga this past weekend. Yesterday I got in about 2.5 hours on Emma so I thought I would post a first impression.

The run down is simple enough: Record/Chorus shifting, Ritchey 50/35 110bcd crankset, 13-29 rear cassette, Mavic brakes, Ritchey 12cm stem/WCS bars, Thompson 29.4 post (note the same odd size as the Marcelo) and San Marco Rolls saddle, wheels for the ride are Protons with Conti 4-seasons pumped. This set up was mostly pulled from the polished Legend/Ouzo Pro fork and I'll make some comparisons because I made a point of using the same tire pressures (110 rear/115 front) and very, very close in sizing. The frame is orange in the "Scripts" scheme which uses a variety of orthographies as the design pattern in a number of colors over the orange. The scripts are letters, not words (for those of you who can read Tibetan or some Japanese or Greek this would be obvious), the Pegoretti name is silver, and that very nifty modern art-like headbadge graces the front. Pictures to follow once I square away the bar tape thing (I put on just something to ride). The bike is a stock 59cm, so a 58cm top tube and the fit is identical to my 60cm Marcelo with very minor tweaking. Instead of the spec'd Ouzo Pro fork I put on the Ouzo Pro Peloton fork, the one with the wider blades (as you can see on my IFCJ). This latter fork matches better Emma's leggy profile, providing a complementary OS front to the rear legs. As far as I am concerned the Ouzo Pro and Pro Peloton ride identically, absolutely the same and both are as good as carbon gets. Bike likely weighs about 18-19lbs without water and tools. I never weigh them, don't really care.

Expectations: Emma is modified from the Marcelo with different chain and seat stays and that reinforced downtube, which I think leaves the seat tube, top tube, and head tube the same as the Marcelo. For comparison's sake my Marcelo uses the Mizuno fork (which I have always liked a great deal). I am not a particularly large person or strong rider and my preferences are to steady-easy climbing, rouleur style consistency, and occasional bursts; in short, I ride like a classic randonneur, not too slow, not at all hammering usually. I don't like bikes that I can flex in the bb or get a lot of rub out of the front der because they tend not to descend with the absolute confidence that I so prefer. Descending is my benchmark of great handling and overall satisfaction because I believe that a bike that descends brilliantly usually does everything else very well too (take the MX Leader, for example). My concern with Emma was that she would be over built in 59cm for a person my size, to wit, too stiff for my liking. This has been the case, for example, in every Legend I have ever owned in the larger sizes. I have never had a custom tube-tuned Legend but I like bigger frames and they tend to be very stalwart unless they are tuned-down, imho. Being as happy with the smooth, resonant, calm ride but singing ride of the Marcelo I was concerned that Emma would be considerably stiffer. That the parts and especially the wheels came off the Legend (it's coming Louis!) gave me a solid comparison in that respect.

Ride: There are no flat rides in the Finger Lakes but this maiden voyage didn't include any of the typical hard or long climbs that are near my house (all of the "famous" hills are a stone's throw away from me). Instead I chose moderate, rolling terrain with some steep short ones and a few chances to let it really rip including two descents that get you up to 45-50mph without much effort. It was a perfect day, not enough wind to matter and I felt good because I'd been off the bike since Thursday (so, going on three days).

Impression: Wow. I am jaded because Dario's bikes have always proven to ride so beautifully, so correctly, with such effortless aplomb that I am not really able to bring out their real potential. There is again more bike here than I can get going, so I will leave it to stronger riders like ourpal the jerk to put Emma through the ringer. But all of my trepidations were singularly overcome in no time at all. The bike is not too stiff and in comparison to the quite-normally-but-not-uncomfortably stiff Legend it was gentler, more resonant but also just as dead certain and power to the wheel without flex responsive. Usually "responsive" is a trade-off to "forgiving" or "resilient" but on climbs Emma just sat calmly beneath it all while on harsh pavement she smiled with the same insouciance. I was prodigiously impressed because the bike was clearly steel: resonant and typically alive but also very quiet. Vibration came up and through with that gentle awareness you get from the best steel while the fork was typical of the best carbon, muting the experience as soon as possible into cycling zazen. I would normally not exalt a bb drop of 7cm, preferring the typical longer and lower design, but Dario has the bike dialed in beautifully to handle with all the assurance and spot-on pointing you could ask. With lots of setback and a tall headtube the positioning is easy for me but what I liked best was the same feeling you get on the Marcelo: the bike is not at all nervous nor does the front end ever surprise you over unexpected bumps or lapses of attention. If you screw up, the bike forgives first and is never malignant or vindictive to your absence. The ride is as smooth as the Marcelo and yet a bit more responsive, as if you can really pounce on the stays and let it flow unimpeded. I can't flex my 60cm Marcelo while I could get a bit of chainrub out of the 55cm I once had. Go figure. But here I felt all the resonsance and song of the Marcelo and also a bit more calm in the rear.
The key was descending: I took two really fast ones. Granted the road was perfect and I was feeling good, not too tired, but the bike was fantastic and reassuring, just right. I took my hands off the bars and sat up too to see if I could get her to wobble or lose the line: no way, steady as could ever be.

Some have marketed this bike with the caveat that it may be more appropriate for larger, stronger riders. Surely someone stronger than I am would get more out of it and it would suit Clydesdales and racers and hammerheads perfectly. But being only 150lbs-ish and old, I'm not likely to challenge this bike and yet I found it very comfortable, not at all stiff in ways that make you wish it was not. This bike rides like the best in steel, no exaggerations, no flattery. It rides most like my IF Crown Jewel, the red one made of some one-off Foco tubeset, another bike that is not too stiff for me but incredibly comfortable and correct in handling.

I will post pictures and some further ride impressions/reports later if anyone cares or would like that. I hope to get out on the Luigino this week too.

dbrk

Andreu
09-28-2004, 06:48 AM
I would be really interested to know about the reinforced downtube. I read about it but I have never seen pictures.....do the reinforcements show or does, to all intents and purposes, the downtube look like a "normal" downtube.
Thanks,
A
PS great review...I have a Marcelo frame - I cannot wait to get it all together and ride it.

dbrk
09-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Andreu,
The reinforcements appear as rectangles with diamond points. There is a good picture at competitivecyclist.com. What's going on inside is concealed, of course, but on the outside you notice these little square-like pointed things on the downtube, made moreso because Pegoretti uses round tubes. (I love round tubes...and Serotta's tubes.)

BTW, I cannot commend more warmly the efforts and professionality of Brendan Quirk, the proprietor of Competitive Cyclist. He is incredibly helpful, understanding, and committed to customer satisfaction, a real professional who is as honest and good-natured as he is utterly competent and efficient. You couldn't go wrong buying a bike from Competitive Cyclist.

dbrk

Climb01742
09-28-2004, 08:08 AM
so happy your shiny new pegs finally arrived. i read your impressions with particular interest. i've been putting a lot of miles on my custom marcelo lately and it's "responsiveness" is amazing. i sense that both you and i are low-torque sorts of riders, and for us, dario's low-torque acceleration is heavenly. personally, i found a fina very comfortable but just a bit too stiff, while the marcelo is a perfect balance, for me, of comfort and just enuf flex. please do post photos and further impressions. most of all, enjoy!!!!

Marco
09-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the review Douglas....

I don't remember if you have done the same sort of review with your Fina Estampa (you have one, no?) but it would be very interesting to hear your thoughts. Given that you are such an affecienado of steel in all of its beauty and glory, I would be very interested to know how Dario's version of Aluminium holds up in comparison.

christian
09-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the great review, Douglas. Can't wait to see pics!

- Christian

coylifut
09-28-2004, 08:57 AM
I'm considering a Fina, so I'd like to listen in on any comments you have regarding Marco's question. A compare/contrast would be very helpful. I'm a steel lover as well, but I'm looking for something I can put away wet.

Thank you

kenyee
09-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Great review. Looking forward to your Luigino review since one of the posters on this forum said he hated it but loved the Marcelo...

bostondrunk
09-28-2004, 09:08 AM
<burp> why do I always feel so stupid after trying to read dbrk's reviews?? <burp> wish I had finished college... :confused:

Spinner
09-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Douglas,

Thanks for the vivid description of the machine and the maiden voyage. It's easy to picture you sitting-up and taking it all in. Cheers.

weisan
09-28-2004, 09:36 AM
<burp> why do I always feel so stupid after trying to read dbrk's reviews?? <burp> wish I had finished college...

BDrunk, don't give up, it's never too late. That's what I always tell my kids. :D

Let me suggest a couple of strategies to help you through the reading because quite frankly, I have some problems too ;)

Strategy #1
Treat the bike as something close and personal...like you are talking about a friend. Serious! That sets you in the right frame of mind.

Strategy #2
Ask lots of questions. Anything you don't understand, just ask, I am sure Prof. DBRK can address them for you. Like all good college professors, they would say: "There's no such thing as stupid questions."

Strategy #3
Divide and conquer. Don't try to digest everything all at once. Take it slow. Come back and read some parts of the post later. Our honorable professor writes beautifully, but let's face it, some of these stuff is quite dense and assume some level of cycling knowledge and understanding.

A good wine needs to be savored slowly....I know it's hard especially when you like to gulp down a jug of beer in record time. ;) :p :D :)

Please humor me, brother!

weisan

Marron
09-28-2004, 10:52 AM
I was curious how you would compare the Emma to the other strong man's bike? I suspect it's a few pounds lighter, no lugs, lighter tubes, but is it stiffer? Didn't sound like it from your comments.

bostondrunk
09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Its hard to ask questions after I have a basset hound style piece of drool hitting my keyboard as my brain works overtime to translate the shakespearean (i spelleded that wrongh!) review!!<burp>
I dunno, I'm starting to think dbrk drinks more than me....
So did he like the bike?? :crap:

BDrunk, don't give up, it's never too late. That's what I always tell my kids. :D
A good wine needs to be savored slowly....I know it's hard especially when you like to gulp down a jug of beer in record time. ;) :p :D :)
Please humor me, brother!
weisan

bcm119
09-28-2004, 12:21 PM
A very entertainiing review on an otherwise dull morning, thanks.

But when you wrote "...using the same tire pressures (110 rear/115 front)" I assume that was a typo ??

bostondrunk
09-28-2004, 12:23 PM
thats the french fit tire pressure. It causes the front end of the bike to remain a little higher off the ground....
hahahahahha.....sorry....SORRY! I couldn't resist... :p

TmcDet
09-28-2004, 12:28 PM
My Big Leg Emma arrived with the custom (and interestingly one-off in lugs and details) Luigino and both were built up while I was off playing yoga this past weekend. dbrk

Wonder if I would have such nice bike delivered if i went off playing yoga for a weekend......My have to take it up

bcm119
09-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Maybe he's trying to slacken his HTA like Smiley...

"Curiousity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect"
-Steven Wright

dbrk
09-28-2004, 01:59 PM
<burp>....BD and I just had lunch...we enjoyed the beer so much I forgot to tell him how much I liked the bike...BD, pal!, I liked the bike, thanks for asking and thanks for the brews...now...lemme see...can I find the chair...oh yeah, okay, just now sobering up enough to write again in complete sentences...back soon...see ya' later.......

Back.
I never learned to hold my liquor. And as for the bong, well that appeared in another thread if you recall...So a few observations in addition to Pegorettis...
You don't want to go hit the bottom of hill dozing if you are riding with hypnos 'cause you'll be sucking hard at his wheel as he passes you effortlessly; and you surely don't want to think you ever dropped Russ just 'cause he's been at the back all day because, well, at any time he feels like it he will pass you like you are standing still; never lend KeithA a bike that has a big ring of any size because he will ride in it all day and make it go faster than you under all circumstances; and last (for now) you definitely don't want to go drinking with BD 'cause it's hard to tell when you are hammered if he's serious or jokin' or both ( any of these options may apply). Those were just observations about our Forum members and some of their respective talents on and...uh...off the bike. More upon sober reflection.

Fina Comparison.
I just sold my Fina to a fellowForumite. It was a modified 55cm when it really should have just been a 59 or a 60. Why bother with adding headtube extension when standover and the rest is not an issue? As the front end comes up, so the top tube effectively shortens and the set back can be easily, nay, better adjusted with respect to knee/pedal position. I used a 12cm stem on the 55cm bike too. I may go to a 13 on Emma just to get really stretched out. I don't ride French fit because I'm inflexible but because I like to use the drops and have less bar/saddle drop, just a preference.

Tire Pressures: Less in the back, just a bit, to keep the rear stuck; a tad more in the front to keep the turning lively. This may all be in my head and have no basis in reality but what's in your head is pretty much reality. Got that, BD? Uhhh...I'm not sure I did. French wine has that effect...

Back to the Fina.
Clearly the Fina is stiffer than Emma and this is particularly evident under two circumstances: first, an unexpected or untoward pothole or road indignity, second, rough pavement (we have lot of that chip and seal rumble). The Fina, yes, even the Fina reminds you that it is a stiff aluminum bike when you do something stupid (which means something I might do) like hit a real pothole. The Mizuno fork is not, I think, as forgiving as the Reynolds but I have no complaints about that and seeing as how my Marcelo came with the same fork, I think that it's not the issue. The Fina is not going to sing like steel when the road get rough or you bounce the hole. But Emma will take off like the Fina when you stand up and stomp on the pedals and she will climb like the Fina with that typical Pegoretti transference of power. Gosh, Dario really does get that so brilliantly: when you put the pedal down on a Pegoretti there is no wasted energy and it seems like every bit goes into the efficiency of the bike. I find this true on all models but particularly so on the Fina and Emma. Emma was kinder and gentler too it seemed on rough roads though the Fina excels there where other aluminum bikes I've had have not. I would in a heartbeat get another Fina and may still or an 8:30am if there is one in 59/60cm on sale. I sold the Fina to finance Emma, in part, just a pratical decision but also a preference for the Marcelo which is a very genteel ride that gives away nothing in efficiency and race worthiness.

I would be disinclined to choose the material for reasons of oxidation and rust because, well, you can wipe the bike off. Unless you really are going in the rain, wet, nasty and the point is to use a hose without a worry. The Fina is as correct, calm and well-dispositioned race bike as anyone could ever want to ride. But it also reminds you that aluminum doesn't really give much resonance or forgiveness to road feel. In my estimate Emma is as stiff where she is supposed to be as the Fina and essentially has all the advantages of aluminum but none of the drawbacks. That said, Emma is twice the cost (nearly) of a Fina. Thems a lot of reasons to ride aluminum right there. And the 8:30am likely offers more (or is it less) reasons of the same consideration: retails at half of Emma but is a lot less work. When you see Emma with the downtube reinforcements and the oversized stays you realize that this is a LOT more work than the others to build and that the tubes likely cost more too from inception. My Luigino has so many details and so clearly involves filing and hand work that it's in another world entirely---that of the best made, one-off lugged steel in the world. Dario is capable of so many things. Playing air guitar with an Emma frame comes to mind as well...

dbrk

weisan
09-28-2004, 03:31 PM
DRUNK!!! See what I mean, our beloved resident professor not only have an impeccable sense of taste but he's funny too. I always know that you and the prof. will hit it off just like old friends.

Any man who can afford to laugh at himself once in a while is worth his weight in gold. That's what my rule book says. :D

And prof. dbrk, please do keep yourself sober...watch out for drunk, he's reaching under the table for the keys to your stable. ;)

weisan

Dekonick
09-28-2004, 05:49 PM
What stable? I saw Sandy driving away with a U-Haul....