PDA

View Full Version : I am like an Indy car driver-primary bike has a mechanical so I had to qualify backup

dekindy
05-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Since I got my Fierte and then my Legend, I have only ridden my Schwinn Paramount a handful of times in the last 1.5 years.

Because I sold the Fierte frame and the flange on my rear hub of the Legend broke, I have had to ride the Paramount for a 33-mile training ride and an 80-mile weekend ride and probably a few more while the Legend is waitng to be repaired.

I thought I would have trouble with the down tube shifters and the wide gear spacing and only having seven gears, etc.

Except for being in the wrong gear for a hill it has been a joy to ride. I have had it for sale and a guy that wants to buy has not been able to get with me to complete the deal. Boy am I glad he hasn't. I would be without a ride for several days while the hub is being warranted.

I wonder now if I should hang on to it. I debated about sending it to Waterford for restoration and putting all new components on it. It was a tough decision and now I remember why!

flickwet
05-17-2008, 09:25 PM
friction shifting is a skill whern done right it adds more to the whole expeience. no clicks just an immediate slap home, espesially when doing one handed front and rear shifts. I may not be fast but i can be good

flickwet
05-17-2008, 09:27 PM
cause I got campy 7spd friction on my Colorado

barry1021
05-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Since I got my Fierte and then my Legend, I have only ridden my Schwinn Paramount a handful of times in the last 1.5 years.

Because I sold the Fierte frame and the flange on my rear hub of the Legend broke, I have had to ride the Paramount for a 33-mile training ride and an 80-mile weekend ride and probably a few more while the Legend is waitng to be repaired.

I thought I would have trouble with the down tube shifters and the wide gear spacing and only having seven gears, etc.

Except for being in the wrong gear for a hill it has been a joy to ride. I have had it for sale and a guy that wants to buy has not been able to get with me to complete the deal. Boy am I glad he hasn't. I would be without a ride for several days while the hub is being warranted.

I wonder now if I should hang on to it. I debated about sending it to Waterford for restoration and putting all new components on it. It was a tough decision and now I remember why!

that having many bikes is not frivolous, it's just common sense!! :banana:

If you enjoy it that much and you don't need the $$ why sell it? And maybe not upgrade it either. I just bought an 80's De Rosa with dt shifters and a six speed. I may keep it that way, won't be a century bike for sure, but for the occasional ride that is different, it might be fun.....

Ken Robb
05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I like having an assortment of bikes to ride including the one with an all Nuovo Record Gruppo.

dekindy
05-29-2008, 01:25 PM
My bike is fixed and ready for this evening's training ride! :banana: :beer: :) :D

thejen12
05-29-2008, 01:32 PM
You should never be without a backup road bike!

Jenn

jimcav
05-29-2008, 03:42 PM
shame a hub issue has sidelined your ride.
since i commute i have to have 2 bikes. i'm gonna try tubular (on both bikes), but i'll be keeping at least one set of clinchers in reserve ready to go.

haven't done DT since 1998, don't miss it. Love riding my old coors light when i get home, but it is 8-speed ergo. nothing rides like the older steel.
enjoy all of them
jim

thejen12
05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Jimcav,

A backup wheelset should be a minimum! My two bikes have interchangeable wheels, so they cover for each other in that department, as well.

Jenn

flickwet
05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
You should never be without a backup road bike!

Jenn
a back-up bike? we should all have as many as wedding vows (and kids braces,and college)will allow!