PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and comfort.

Attila175
09-27-2004, 07:47 PM
I have read on this, and other forums, that the wheels used on a bike are as much a factor as frame material in regard to ride comfort. What I am wondering is are there certain properties or charachteristics in a wheel that make a difference? Which wheels are known for being harsher and which are known for giving a better ride?

equipoised
09-27-2004, 08:47 PM
I have limited experience, but I've found aluminum deep rim Rolf Vector Pros very harsh. My new carbon Zipp 404s are much nicer. Maybe it's the carbon.

coylifut
09-27-2004, 08:53 PM
In general, deep section rims with low spoke count tend to be less comfortable than box section rims with higher (32 or so) spoke count wheels. Tires make a big difference as well

eddief
09-27-2004, 09:20 PM
makes the absolute most detectable difference in how your "wheels" feel. I find it difficult to believe that the rims or the spoke count or the spoke pattern could ever have more influence on feel than + or - 10 pounds of plain old air. I do make allowances for windy conditions where side to side wind resistance could be more or less detectable depending on bladed spokes or deeper section rims.

Cavu
09-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Not counting the issue of tires, which is an important one, rim section depth, spoke pattern and hub size, to name a few considerations, can have a significant effect on the "comfort" of the ride. If you want a nice cushy ride, increase the spoke count (32-36), go to 3x pattern, shallow depth rims and low flange hubs. If you want to race, go the other way, very few spokes, radially laced and deep rims. There is no one size fits all. If you look closely at TdF clips you will see a variety of wheel construction in various stages.

I have a couple wheel sets for one of my bikes. By simply changing out the wheels I get very different ride feel. The wheel construction and tires are considerably different from one set to another. But, their purposes are different too; one set is primarily for long training miles, the other for shorter "go fast" days, ala TT's.

If you go to amazon.com and enter "bicycle wheel" in the search string, you will get hits on several books dedicated to the art and science of bicycle wheels.

Best...
-c

keno
09-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Maybe PJW will check in and tell us the real deal.

keno

Sandy
09-28-2004, 08:39 AM
I have 2 sets of wheels. One is a very light set. I use the heavier set almost exclusively now, but a few days ago the axle of the rear hub (Dura-Ace 10) broke. I put on the lighter set of wheels. Last year, when I was using the lighter weight set, I was running 140-145 pounds in the tires. Now, with the same tires, I am running 122-127 pounds. Ride comfort has improved, transmitting less harshness on irregular road surface, and tire adhesion to the road seems to have improved because of the lesser air pressure.

I believe that air pressure can make a significant difference in your ride in many ways.

Airhead Sandy

eddief
09-28-2004, 09:14 AM
I put about 100 in my Michelin Pro Race or Rubino Pros and feel like I'm riding on really solid, smooth tires. I'm 185 lbs and never feel like 100 is too little inflation. I can't imagine riding on those "rocks" at 140. Every bump must feel like a shock to the system. Maybe I'll try it just to check out what that much air feels like.