PDA

View Full Version : fierte or fierte it

maytown
05-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Wondering which bike would give me the most plush ride.
Thanks.

hansolo758
05-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Previous posts suggest the carbon seatstays might help reduce road buzz.

http://serotta.com/forum/search.php?searchid=428299&pp=25&page=1

kgreene10
05-16-2008, 10:40 PM
In my experience, the Fierte Ti is much plusher than the Fierte IT. The geometry is the same and nicely combines a taller headtube for more upright position with enough responsiveness to make it feel spritely. The extra carbon on the IT makes it feel significantly stiffer while the Ti reminds of a 1970s Caddy with more pickup.

fierte_poser
05-17-2008, 12:00 PM
The Fierte (steel) and Fierte IT (ti/carbon) are both on the plush end of the spectrum. IMHO, the difference is going to be subtle between the two...the conventional wisdom says that steel will feel more alive, which might mean extra road feedback is transmitted to the rider, while the ti/carbon will be more muted in terms of road feedback. When I say road feedback, I mean what the rider feels through the saddle and bars when riding over chip sealed pavement. They're both going to be smooth as silk on fresh ashpalt, and they're both going to go thunk over railroad tracks. Chip sealed pavement is one place where I think you would actually be able to notice the subtle difference between the two frames.

In my opinion, I would get the frame that has the materials and the aesthetic that you like best and that you *want* to ride. They're both awesome frames that will outlive you.

In terms of plushness, you can easily tune either frameset to be 'harsh' or 'plush' with your choice of wheelset and tires.

I ride a Fierte (steel) and I wouldn't trade it for a Fierte IT.

My $.02,
Kent

BoulderGeek
05-18-2008, 12:54 AM
OK, I don't want to hijack this thread, but this is a perfect opportunity to ask a question I've had.

If the Fierte geometry is "plush," would there then be appreciable difference between a Fierte IT and a stock Nove (IT)? I would define my Nove as crisp and lively.

And if there is a difference, do we attribute it to the layup of the carbon tubes, the Ti used, or geometry?

Since I have a Nove in stock geometry, I have thought of a Fierte IT as essentially the same thing, and that the Nove premium was for custom geometry and specs. Is this wrong?

RPS
05-18-2008, 06:31 PM
They're both going to be smooth as silk on fresh ashpalt, and they're both going to go thunk over railroad tracks. Chip sealed pavement is one place where I think you would actually be able to notice the subtle difference between the two frames.Nice distinction.

Discernible differences depend greatly on bike’s capabilities compared to surface conditions.

a100mark
05-18-2008, 06:59 PM
OK, I don't want to hijack this thread, but this is a perfect opportunity to ask a question I've had.

If the Fierte geometry is "plush," would there then be appreciable difference between a Fierte IT and a stock Nove (IT)? I would define my Nove as crisp and lively.

And if there is a difference, do we attribute it to the layup of the carbon tubes, the Ti used, or geometry?

Since I have a Nove in stock geometry, I have thought of a Fierte IT as essentially the same thing, and that the Nove premium was for custom geometry and specs. Is this wrong?

My understanding between the Nove and the Fierte IT, has to do with the tubing platform (Triple Butted vs Double Butted, etc). In inquired with my dealer what the difference was between a Fierte and a CDA (other than custom build) and that is what they told me. I have a Fierte, my better half has a CDA. Hope that helps.