PDA

View Full Version : What did Ernesto say?

Keith A
05-16-2008, 03:10 PM
What did Ernesto say about integrated headsets? :rolleyes:

Fixed
05-16-2008, 03:13 PM
the same thing he said about 1" head tube
cheers

PaulE
05-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Ferrari once said his cars didn't need disk brakes because they didn't need to worry about stopping. Not saying that integrated headsets are good, or bad, but sometimes people say something and then end up changing their position. Sometimes it's a real technical benefit and sometimes it's just because that's what the market wants.

ecl2k
05-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Where does this fit in on the colnago food chain? Is it the top or can we expect a lugged c-60 soon.

maunahaole
05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
"Where's my effing Aquanet?"

David Kirk
05-16-2008, 04:01 PM
"anything for a buck"?

dave

Keith A
05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Where does this fit in on the colnago food chain? Is it the top or can we expect a lugged c-60 soon.Can't help you with these questions, but the CX-1 is the current hot item on www.colnago.com

Flat Out
05-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Where does this fit in on the colnago food chain? Is it the top or can we expect a lugged c-60 soon.

I believe it's closer to the lower end and made in Taiwan.

saab2000
05-16-2008, 08:32 PM
There are only a couple that look decent. That ain't one of them. This one is.... :D

Some of the Lemond Ti integrated ones looked OK too. I am not as anti-integrated as some on this board. I actually kinda like the look if it is done properly.

BTW, my Look turns properly all the way around without binding, rattling or having any indexed characteristics. It just works the way a headset should.

myette10
05-16-2008, 11:06 PM
was it "I'm going to design the ugliest frame around one that you have ever seen"?

CMY
05-17-2008, 02:19 AM
"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse" - Henry Ford

Delpo
05-17-2008, 06:16 AM
"Build it and they will come" - Alex Colnago

Ernesto already secured his legacy. This Taiwan crap is the newer Colnago generations trying to make their mark and profit from the International growth in cycling. This loss of focus is unfortunately normal on family organizations. I trust that Ernesto will reign it in quickly.

Delpo

rwsaunders
05-17-2008, 07:32 AM
"Slappa soma more resin onna eet anda eet will worka fine...call eet Bigga Heada Emma."

Fixed
05-17-2008, 09:57 AM
bro i remember going to see a big bike builder talk ..and he said steel and ti are the best stuff to make bikes out of alum was no good and forget carbon . the next year carbon was the greatest thing since sliced bread a lot of what we are told is nothing but lies and marketing imho
cheers

soulspinner
05-17-2008, 10:58 AM
"anything for a buck"?

dave

Think we have a winner. Unfortunately its the truth.

RPS
05-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Think we have a winner. Unfortunately its the truth.I don’t see anything wrong with making a buck. Advancements in design and engineering typically give a company competitive advantage, which in turn makes them more money. Isn't that what drives the development of lots of cool toys and other stuff?

The limitation here IMO is that functionally integrated headsets aren’t that different, except for maybe allowing a lower front end on small sizes. To most of us it doesn’t add much value unless you happen to like the looks.

chuckaw
05-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Do people seriously have lots of problems with integrated headsets? I've had 4 different bikes now with them and have never had a problem with any of them.

RPS
05-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Do people seriously have lots of problems with integrated headsets? I've had 4 different bikes now with them and have never had a problem with any of them.I don't have a preference either way. Curious though, did you have a problem with the others? Did you notice a difference?

soulspinner
05-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I don’t see anything wrong with making a buck. Advancements in design and engineering typically give a company competitive advantage, which in turn makes them more money. Isn't that what drives the development of lots of cool toys and other stuff?

The limitation here IMO is that functionally integrated headsets aren’t that different, except for maybe allowing a lower front end on small sizes. To most of us it doesn’t add much value unless you happen to like the looks.

Nothin wrong with makin a buck. Dont like integrated headsets due to loss of stack height.

WickedWheels
05-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Everyone and their mothers have taken the "anything for a buck" route. Shimano and their carbon fiber "offerings" (crankset, rear derailleur). Campy "Red". Trek and their Taiwan-made carbon fiber bikes. Cannondale and their Chiwanese aluminum bikes. Serotta and current lack of CSI offerings (or paint options) or disappearance of DKS.

"Anything for a buck" is what's allowing these guys to survive. One has to wonder what some of the boutique custom steel frame manufacturers will be doing in 20+ years. Perhaps the same thing that so many CNC/anodizing superstars of the 90's are doing today?

I've given up putting down integrated headsets since most of them are on bikes that will stop being appealing well before the headsets wear out.

OtayBW
05-18-2008, 04:37 AM
"Where's my effing Aquanet?"

Here ya go:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/aquanet.jpg