PDA

View Full Version : I am gross I need help!

Dave B
05-16-2008, 11:48 AM
The last time I bought pair of shorts/bibs was several years ago. I know I need some new stuff, but seeing how I know eff-all about what size is really that size I am hoping some of you can help the boys out.

So what sizes run small and what run normal/big?

I know I can try a few on provided I have a barrier between me and the shorts in a shop, but any pre-trying on help would be more then appreciated!

Also any preferences in chamois would also be helpful. The piled up mess I have is less then comfortable.

CNY rider
05-16-2008, 12:02 PM
What's your height and weight?

I'm enjoying ExteOndo these days (check Sierra Trading Post and see if they have any deals left).

I"m only 5 foot 6, 148 pounds but I wear a large, so those definitely run small.

Performance stuff seems like "average" US sizing.

false_Aest
05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
I dunno how it stacks up against more expensive bands but, IMO, Sugoi totally rocks--followed by Louis Garneau. They both fit a moderately built white dude well (5'8 155lbs).

72gmc
05-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm 6'1", 175 and a Nalini large (euro size 5) fits me well. I have some Excel Sports house brand shorts, the lycra power model, that are made by Nalini.

The Voler large fits a little larger/longer than the Nalini, but the Voler pads are thinner and better than the Nalini in my opinion, and I suspect the shorts will hold up better overall. I have three pairs of Voler with the Cantara XM pad, and a pair with the standard Cantara pad that is a bit thicker.

mschol17
05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm 5'11" 190 and I just picked up a pair of Large Santini CX bib shorts and they're perfect. The chamois is seamless and not too thick. I own a couple pairs of Voler, and the Santinis may be a little slimmer and stretchier and thinner fabric, but the pad is orders of magnitude better.

whitecda
05-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I would highly recommend Boure' stuff. http://www.boure.com/

Sizes run true and they give a seriously accurate size chart. Not to mention a complete satisfaction guarantee if you biff it!! As my old leftover stuff wears out, I'm replacing it with this brand.

regularguy412
05-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Descente seem to run true to size (historically speaking). I'm 5'8" 167 lbs and the Medium bibs/ shorts fit just right. The pads are not too thick. I have one pair of newer Pearl Izumi shorts and the pad seems a bit diaper-ish.

The newer Pearl Izumi jerseys seem to run a bit larger than from years past. I usually wear a Medium and my newest Pearl jersey fits like the 'old' Large-- a bit baggy.

I have one Hincapie Sports kit -- matching bibs and jersey. The jersey runs about one size small. I had to go up to a Large to make it work. The shorts are pretty true to size,,I took a Medium in the Hincapie. I will say that the Hincapie shorts tend to have a pretty long inseam, compared to the Descent and the Pearl. The pad in the Hincapie is nice. You forget it's there. And that's the way pads should be.

Mike in AR:beer:

maunahaole
05-16-2008, 01:56 PM
+1 on Voler.

go to their website and get on their email list www.velowear.com - they have monthly specials on stuff, often times really good stuff. Prices are reasonable considering the quality of their stuff.

Shipping is fast and free - sizing is true to what they say it is and the sizing charts and explanations make sense.

Cdub
05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Castelli with Kiss pad. I am 6.2 164lbs and wear a medium. I started with large, but it was too much pad. Specialized S-works medium, but large would have been better.

Kevan
05-16-2008, 02:05 PM
asking this question you'll get a catalog worth of answers. Rather than offer a make, here's my suggestion: look for the simplest pad insert and make sure the short pulls up high on the backside, that's about it. A pad insert that is excessive in padding or design waffling is bound to bind your bits. A too short short is too much for others to see.

Simple as that. $'s don't necessarily = quality

CNY rider
05-16-2008, 02:07 PM
asking this question you'll get a catalog worth of answers. Rather than offer a make, here's my suggestion: look for the simplest pad insert and make sure the short pulls up high on the backside, that's about it. A pad insert that is excessive in padding or design waffling is bound to bind your bits. A too short short is too much for others to see.

Simple as that. $'s don't necessarily = quality

Black, my friend.
Must not look at white shorts!

72gmc
05-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Oh, one more Voler note re: customer service--they replaced a pair with a slight defect in a fast and friendly way, and even the replacement package came with three Tootsie Rolls inside. My kids now insist on opening all velowear packages for me.

I will be trying a pair of Bouré next time I'm shorts shopping, though, just to see.

maunahaole
05-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh, one more Voler note re: customer service--they replaced a pair with a slight defect in a fast and friendly way, and even the replacement package came with three Tootsie Rolls inside. My kids now insist on opening all velowear packages for me.

I will be trying a pair of Bouré next time I'm shorts shopping, though, just to see.

You get three?? I only get two! :mad:

kgreene10
05-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I tried on a few shorts the other day. I am 6'1", 172 lbs. According to Giordana's size chart, I should be a large. No way. A medium almost fits, but sags in the high part of the buttocks. Same with Hincapie -- even a small had this problem! Pearl Izumi mediums fit perfectly and so far are the only ones that do.

Kevan
05-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Black, my friend.
Must not look at white shorts!

that went without saying.

72gmc
05-16-2008, 03:20 PM
You get three?? I only get two! :mad:

it's not like I get them. I get to see them disappear in a feeding frenzy. I don't even reach for the package until the teeth stop gnashing.

Chad Engle
05-16-2008, 03:59 PM
I love my Boure's. Only complaint is I'm too short for my waist (fat), so the legs are a hair long. If you know what I mean. But the chamois is my favorite.

whitecda
05-17-2008, 06:15 AM
but Boure' has made modifications to their standard sizes by request. There is a lot of "custom" sized stuff in their closeout section that was specifically made, then returned! Now thats a guarantee! Not sure if there are additional charges associated with this or not.

conorb
05-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I would highly recommend Boure' stuff. http://www.boure.com/

Sizes run true and they give a seriously accurate size chart. Not to mention a complete satisfaction guarantee if you biff it!! As my old leftover stuff wears out, I'm replacing it with this brand.

Great tip on the Boure' stuff; thanks! :cool:

conorb

WadePatton
05-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Boure is great stuff with great guarantee. You like or they take back. I think I'm wearing Medium in their stuff. My team kit is Voler and the Large was tight so I wound up with XL--which is a bit much, but easy enough to have altered (Mom). I'd rather be baggy than over tight.

Oh and I lost over ten pounds from try-on season to racing season. I'm 5'11" 153# and not picky about chamois.