PDA

View Full Version : Good news for bikes on the T in Boston

barry1021
05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1094415&srvc=home&position=also

fiamme red
05-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Nice, but they misspelled Nicole Freedman's name. She seems to be doing great work.

benb
05-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Is it the same person?

I did a web search and there is both a Nicole Freedman (olympic cyclist) and a Nicole Friedman (someone else).

fiamme red
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Is it the same person?Yes, it's the Olympic cyclist, who gave very funny interviews (e.g., http://www.cyclingnews.com/interviews/freedman00.shtml).

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=9499

Nicole Freedman Retires from Pro Racing
Will Work on Citywide Boston Cycling Festival

Nicole Freedman announced her retirement from professional bike racing today. As one of the peloton's most lustrous characters throughout 12 years as a pro, Freedman matched a sharp, self-deprecating wit with an intense competitive drive, harnessed them to a savvy business instinct and succeeded brilliantly as a racer, coach, manager, and general industry influencer. She arrived at her decision to retire because of what she describes as her dream job coming to fruition.

"I was working part-time for the City of Boston to look at plans to bring a citywide cycling festival," said Freedman. "My boss asked me if I would go full time. I said 'no.' He asked a month later and it occurred to me, 'what am I waiting for? This is exactly what I want to do going forward, I better jump on this opportunity while I have it!'"

Freedman collected her pro license in 1994, the same year she rode as a member on the first ever all-women's team to compete in the Race Across America (RAAM). Since then her career has become one huge constellation of standout highlights including earning a berth on the Sydney Olympic team in 2000, becoming a two-time US National Champion, winning a stage in the Tour of New Zealand and winning more than 40 professional NRC races.

Behind the scenes, Freedman cemented her reputation as a leader - both on the bike and off - when she helped evolve and manage teams including Odwalla, Treo, Schwab and most recently the buzz-worthy Ford-Basis. In addition to racing and managing teams, Freedman founded her own coaching service, which grew at near light speed pace by word-of-mouth from her adoring clients.

Without racing and training tugging at her schedule, Freedman will be able to dedicate more time to her current passion, Hub on Wheels (HOW). HOW is a citywide ride created in conjunction with Mayor Menino's office to showcase Boston's many diverse neighborhoods as well as its parks, greenways, neighborhoods, and waterfront and to promote urban biking in general. Visit: www.hubonwheels.org for more information.

Freedman made her debut this year as a calendar girl for the inaugural Jewish + Female = Athlete wall calendar presented by the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute. As "May," Freedman got to brag to friends, family and fans about her pin-up stint however some scoffed at the project in disbelief since there couldn't possibly be enough Jewish women athletes to fill a calendar. As one of the most colorful characters from J + F = A, she will prove naysayers wrong once more since she's been invited back to appear as "April" with a fresh, new crop of athletes in the calendar's second edition.

old_school
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
The tide is beginning to turn in Boston. It is good to see.

paczki
05-16-2008, 10:55 AM
The tide is beginning to turn in Boston. It is good to see.

Nicole Freedman was on Emily Rooney last night, all dressed up in lady clothes. She was articulate and funny. Yeah, the tide is turning. What da Mayor wants da Mayor gets.

She said they are going to experiment in September with shutting down a section of Sturrow for cyclists on Sundays (like Mem in Cambridge).

benb
05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I met her once back in like 2001 or so riding.. she was nice.. didn't get to see any of the funny side. I wish I had as my co-worker (who was very fast) I was riding with recognized her & egged her on for a few miles. I wouldn't have recognized her myself..

Just didn't know if it was definitely the same person.

girlie
05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Is it the same person?

I did a web search and there is both a Nicole Freedman (olympic cyclist) and a Nicole Friedman (someone else).

It's Nicole Freedman...she works for the city of Boston.
Oh and for years all her lady/regular clothes came from me...we swapped clothes....I got riding clothes/equipment she got regular people clothes (jeans, shirts, basically stuff to wear to whole foods).

She's f-ing hilarious, smart (MIT and Standford graduate), witty, an amazing coach, and stunning with people....did I mention loud:)

fiamme red
05-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh and for years all her lady/regular clothes came from me...we swapped clothes....I got riding clothes/equipment she got regular people clothes (jeans, shirts, basically stuff to wear to whole foods).

She's f-ing hilarious, smart (MIT and Standford graduate), witty, an amazing coach, and stunning with people....did I mention loud:)She is hilarious. Her interviews are great stuff.

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=1475

DP: Nicole, with the degree in Urban Planning, when you travel do you look at the cities you are in and think of ways they could have been planned better?

Nicole: More shopping malls, more strip malls...of all the places I have seen, suburban Chicago really has done the best job in plowing down all that ugly open space and nature in favor of more strip malls. Kudos to suburban Chicago.

DP: About a year ago Indurain suggested that areas be set aside for cycling parks so young riders could have roads to train and ride. Does this sound like a viable part of a "Urban Planning?"

Nicole: I did work as a bike planner at Stanford University for a number of years. I definitely think about going back into open space planning/bike planning when I retire. I was such a wonderful employee. Everyone else would sign out to lunch with a note that they would be back in half an hour or one hour. I would sign out and come back three months later after cycling all around the country.

maddog17
05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
well, being a lifelong resident of Mass i wouldn't hold my breath too long on this project. we got some of the dumbest and rudest drivers in the world and the idea to do this, while great, won't go over too well. closing Storrow drive like they do Memorial drive will really get peoples panties in a bind. that will just cause more hatred toward cyclists, and if that's gonna happen, then i think we'll see a sharp rise in cars hitting cyclists. like i said, it would be great to see this happen, i've always wondered why it doesn't when roads are rebuilt or widened. maybe with gas prices on the rise there will be more tollerance towards planning of this type, but considering the people in the state house who represent us..... like i said, don't hold your breath

Bruce K
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
maddog.

The one thing you're missing here is that Mayor Menino has gotten himself a Trek Lime that he rides several days each week for excercise.

Now that he is a cyclist, he is paying attention to cycling issues and what Mayor Menino is interested in gets more than it's fair share of attention and the public be d++++d.

But in this case, that's not a bad thing.

BK

barry1021
05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
maddog.

The one thing you're missing here is that Mayor Menino has gotten himself a Trek Lime that he rides several days each week for excercise.

Now that he is a cyclist, he is paying attention to cycling issues and what Mayor Menino is interested in gets more than it's fair share of attention and the public be d++++d.

But in this case, that's not a bad thing.

BK
Certainly better than building a 1000 ft office tower and moving City Hall.........even hizzoner gets one right once in awhile.....

Ti Designs
05-20-2008, 05:51 PM

She's f-ing hilarious, smart (MIT and Standford graduate), witty, an amazing coach, and stunning with people....did I mention loud:)

You don't by any chance have a watch you could swap with her for some old bike parts, do you? being loud at 5:30AM is just wrong.

girlie
05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh so you know about Nicole making everyone be quiet, so she could go to bed, at 8:30pm - then being stupid loud at 5:30am:D It's true.

Oh the other thing about Boston changing......I am telling you Nicole can do it. That girl just has something and people simply help and things change and people become better. I know sounds inflated but it's who she is.....contagious.......maybe not 100% change but there will be change! I'd bet money it was Nicole who got the mayor on a bike. Think about Hub on Wheels and have faith:)

I still ride my ti speedplays......need a new pair of shoes...since Nicole retired my cycling equipment is so dated.

M.Sommers
05-20-2008, 08:15 PM

I'll trade my UnderRoos with you.

girlie
05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
I'll trade my UnderRoos with you.

So what you're sayin is you want to dress up as Wonder Woman - cool.

Bruce K
05-20-2008, 09:00 PM
So girlie, does this mean you're with us for HoW? :D

Just askin' :rolleyes:

BK

aLexis
05-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh so you know about Nicole making everyone be quiet, so she could go to bed, at 8:30pm - then being stupid loud at 5:30am:D It's true.

Oh the other thing about Boston changing......I am telling you Nicole can do it. That girl just has something and people simply help and things change and people become better. I know sounds inflated but it's who she is.....contagious.......maybe not 100% change but there will be change! I'd bet money it was Nicole who got the mayor on a bike. Think about Hub on Wheels and have faith:)

I still ride my ti speedplays......need a new pair of shoes...since Nicole retired my cycling equipment is so dated.

what size shoes? we have a really huge whole foods here, and I may want to trade for some clothes.

Bruce K
05-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Alexis, tell Shontell "Nice job in Wilmington"

BK

aLexis
05-20-2008, 09:10 PM
zoinks, I would get my head lopped off!
she wasn't happy with the race. physically,
it was fine, but tactically she got out foxed.
lesson learned and lots more racing to come.

girlie
05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
what size shoes? we have a really huge whole foods here, and I may want to trade for some clothes.

I've heard Austin has the mother of all Whole Foods - lucky.

So girlie, does this mean you're with us for HoW? :D

If I say HoW Nicole will have me working and I want to be riding.....so I don't know if I can go or not........I'd have to wear a costume or hide or something. Artists don't have to volunteer because our life is a big volunteer. Nicole brings out the good in everyone except me;)

Bruce K
05-21-2008, 04:44 AM
We can dress you in our club kit for the day. That way you'll be camoflaged and we can sneak you out on the road without her noticing. :banana:

I could make a joke about having Stevep dress you in CCB kit and noone noticing you but he doesn't seem to be around any more to play with. :crap:

Besides, Nicole was running around like a one-armed paper hanger in a hurricane last year. She wouldn't notice if you came riding with us. ;)

BK

girlie
05-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Well I'd stand out cause ccb doesn't have a womens team anymore.......one of my best friends used to race for ccb SHE WAS AN AMAZING RACER. Sad no more team there:( She seemed to really enjoy Steve and the team. But takes time and energy and can't do it all......I am sincere when I say sad no more women on the ccb team - it's a classic New England team......gotta love Amos Brumble.

http://ccbracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&Itemid=68

What else ya got:)?

Bruce K
05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Karin Holmes would be saddened to hear that CCB has no more women racing for them. ;)

I wonder what kit she's wearing then? :rolleyes:

It certainly isn't like the good old days of a couple of years ago with Louis and Katherine wearing MAsters National Champion jerseys.

I would be more than happy to figure out a way to get you to be part of our 4C's (Can Crash Cycle Club) either up here on the north shore, or the new western/southern group that has formed this year.

The kit is pretty cool looking.

But you would have to come ride with us once or twice.

There is a very good chance there will be a large contingent represented at HoW. That would put me in a very difficult postion choice-wise as to who to ride with. :crap:

BK

girlie
05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
One rider does not make a team:)

I used to ride with Karin and she is funny!
SHE ROCKS!

I was told that there was no time for a womens team.....glad to see they changed there mind enough to pick up Karin. She deserves the support. Love that girl!

BruceK.....ride with everyone.....have them ride together.

Bruce K
05-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I hear you.

But you still keep dodging the question :D - Will YOU ride with us?

We'll petition Nicole to give you ride day off. ;)

BK

girlie
05-21-2008, 02:23 PM
I have commitment issues ;)

paczki
05-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I have commitment issues ;)

You're just trying to let us down easy that you're too fast for us!

Bruce K
05-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I guess it's like the geek asking the hot chick to the prom. :crap:

Well, we'll just have to dream that she has agreed to ride with us and hope for the best.

BK

girlie
05-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh my *** STOP IT! I always took the foreign exchange student.

It's me not you ;) Don't know where I'll be.....if I'm around sounds great.
? though
Can we make a few bar stops? Are they open? Otherwise all those people will most likely get on my nerves. I picture a bunch of people riding into each other.

I guess it's like the geek asking the hot chick to the prom. :crap:

Well, we'll just have to dream that she has agreed to ride with us and hope for the best.

BK

M.Sommers
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
One rider does not make a team:)

First day of 'Interpersonal Communications', a cool, 101 class, pre-req for Physical Therapy...a wishy washy class made cool by a very neat Professor. Anyway, he asked within the first two minutes of day one, "I will ask you a question. If you get it right, you get an 'A' in my class. However, if you get it wrong, you 'Withdraw', okay? The question is, how many people does it take to make a group?"

Fifty of us sat there.

"Raise you hand if you want to make the bet" the prof said.

I raised my hand.

"Step outside of the room, I want to hear your answer. I don't want the class to know" he replied.

We walked outside, "My answer is one, one person can constitute a group."

The professor smiled and we walked inside. "This man just got himself an 'A', it's going to take the rest of the class fifteen weeks, let's begin."

I'm Irish. Give me a beer and a microphone, I'll get something going. Or a bike, calories and some water.

:beer:

girlie
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
You are not racing against NEBC and Brooke O'Connor:)
It's true in New England sometimes it is better to ride alone.....though that's changing with TEAMS like NEBC and IBC.

M.Sommers
05-21-2008, 04:47 PM
You are not racing against NEBC and Brooke O'Connor:)
It's true in New England sometimes it is better to ride alone.....though that's changing with TEAMS like NEBC and IBC.

I googled O'Connor and came up with this (I wanna be this guy at 75)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-482149/Ageing-lothario-Des-OConnor-weds-bride-No-4.html

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_04/DesMarriedHEL_468x675.jpg

I ride alone. But I pray to Sean Kelly and feel his force. A man by himself is never alone. No man is an island. Jimmy Buffett rules.

girlie
05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
I googled O'Connor and came up with this (I wanna be this guy at 75)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-482149/Ageing-lothario-Des-OConnor-weds-bride-No-4.html

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_04/DesMarriedHEL_468x675.jpg

I ride alone. But I pray to Sean Kelly and feel his force. A man by himself is never alone. No man is an island. Jimmy Buffett rules.

WELL........she's faster than that but not like that - oh and she's smarter than that but not like that.....basically her girls will kick your arse....yeah like that.