PDA

View Full Version : I've just about had my fill with e-bay

Louis
05-15-2008, 11:36 PM
I just received an XT cassette purchased on e-bay. I normally wouldn't buy something like this there, but Shimano, in it's infinite wisdom, no longer makes 12-34 XT cassettes, just 11-34 or -32. They are available in XTR, but are outrageously expensive, so I took a chance. Also in the description: "Good condition, Less than 100 miles use."

Turns out the cassette I receive is an 11-34, filthy and used big-time (shark-tooth shaped wear, etc.)

This just burns me up. Granted, it's not a lot of money, but still it bugs me. I just sent the seller a note telling him (nicely) that I really needed a 12-34 and that I'd send it back and if he would please refunded the purchase price. (I'll eat the shipping.)

Louis

rustychisel
05-15-2008, 11:43 PM
I hear ya. Same here. There's a seller in my town posts an endless succession of "FIXED. PISTA. TRACK" bikes which are all incredible rip-offs, being old road frames bodged into really poor POS which bear little if any relationship to that on offer... and no, I'm not in the market.

Ah, okay. Happy to vent with you.

Sandy
05-15-2008, 11:56 PM
I have never bought anything on ebay, but some here have very successfully. Some not so successfully. I seldom buy much of anything through the Serotta Classified either. But I would feel very confident in purchasing through our Classified Section in most instances. I would have reservations primarily if the poster was quite new. If you don't know or have a real feeling about the seller on the Forum, you often will get comments favorable about the seller from others here you know better. The sellers seem to give excellent prices and service, and seem to depict the condition of the item very accurately, most often making it a point to show any flaws in the item. Not universally true, but most often so.

Selling Serotta Sandy

morty
05-16-2008, 12:59 AM
I can empathize. I recently bid on and won a stem that was supposed to be 110mm, ended up being only 90mm. I emailed the seller and politely let him know I couldn't use it and would be returning it for a refund. He replied he would reimburse me the cost, plus return shipping, but I had to wait until he resold it as he was an unemployed student with no money. After a couple of weeks, and another reminder from me, he finally credited my Paypal account ...less the return shipping. Not a big deal, but frustrating. I guess I was lucky to get that :rolleyes:

In your case, the fact that he also wasn't forthcoming about the true condition would bug me too.

saab2000
05-16-2008, 04:37 AM
Give negative feedback. That will help.

jemoryl
05-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Give negative feedback. That will help.

Exactly. I've bought lots of great stuff off eBay and the vast majority is exactly as described (but I'm very careful). Still smile everytime I look at my new $12 53 tooth Chorus chainring, but it does seem that such bargains are rarer now....

WadePatton
05-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes, the bargains that it was built on are pretty tough to find these days.

I've been really lucky. 199-100% positives, most are purchases, but I've sell stuff there too. Actually made money ONCE!

I've had a couple of dicey deals, but it has all worked out. The last one was where the item was pictured atop the owner's manual--but the seller didn't include the manual. Says it wasn't his photograph. I contend that the description should have disclosed such. I elected not to leave any feedback for that one.

Most folks do a great job listing--but always be wary of blurry photos, shoddy descriptions, and "I'm selling this for a friend and don't know much about it".

HSG Racer
05-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I would say that most ebay sellers are honest and trustworthy. But just like everything else, there are some bad apples that stink up the whole place.

I do purchase cycling parts on ebay but only new in the box and wrapped parts. I never purchase used because it is impossible to determine the condition of the part. I did purchase a used CAAD7 several years ago for crit racing and it turned out to be almost new. But in general, anything used can range from being out of the box for a few hours to something that has been used and abused for years. What is "near new" or "mint condition" mean anyway?

When it comes to ebay, just stick with purchasing new in box stuff and you should be fine.

Louis
05-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I do purchase cycling parts on ebay but only new in the box and wrapped parts. I never purchase used because it is impossible to determine the condition of the part.

This sounds like great advice to me. Obviously, if someone is intent on ripping you off this won't stop them, but it does make it less likely, and more difficult to have a difference of opinion on what "like new" is. Although I have sold some stuff here that I would consider "like new"...

Update: The seller has agreed for me to return the cassette and will then presumably refund the purchase price. Hopefully this will have a happy ending. (At which point I guess I won't provide any feedback, because if I "go negative" I'll probably get slammed back. Mutual Assured Destruction - the logic of the Cold War.)

Louis

dookie
05-16-2008, 03:36 PM
(At which point I guess I won't provide any feedback, because if I "go negative" I'll probably get slammed back. Mutual Assured Destruction - the logic of the Cold War.)

sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers (though he's got 100 characters or so to say what he really thinks...)

for the record, my ebay experience has been very good and both buyer and seller. i agree, the deals are fewer...but as a seller, the place rocks! the weak dollar actually helps here, if you're willing to ship overseas (which i do selectively).

if i'm buying, i obviously consider seller's feedback, previous items sold, and quality of photos/description. if it's a pricey item, i usually open a brief dialogue...'dude, it rocks! buy it!' won't get the job done. no response? run away.

so far so good...knock on wood. :crap:

cadence231
05-16-2008, 04:48 PM
This is quite timely for me as I have been looking at a relatively big ticket item that has been relisted several times where each time the starting bid has shrank. I am being careful to ask pertinent questions as to the "usedness" of the item such as serial # proof and proof of operating hours. I have had no response yet as to my queries. So I wait.http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/popcorn.gif

Mud
05-17-2008, 07:20 AM
but much less in the past two years. I worked out my last problem with the BB and it is "all good".

But if someone is going to buy new stuff only why not the LBS. If someone says to me I can get a fork at Jenson for $649 what can I do to make him buy it from me. What is my cost. I can't buy 50 at a time as a MO house might but can I net enough money to come out ahead. Chances are I will be able to make a deal.

My point is that if you trying to buy only new stuff give the shop a chance. Parts are easy, electric bicycles, scooters - forget it. Don't assume the LBS won't try. I don't let money walk out my boss' door if there is a way.

Last point is this on new stuff. It comes from the manufacturer's chosen distributor and it has a warrantee which the LBS can handle. It is not hot, or part of a UPS distress sale.

Used is used and you take your chances but on new stuff, well I have made my rant and it is an old song by now. :crap:

WadePatton
05-17-2008, 12:58 PM
but much less in the past two years. I worked out my last problem with the BB and it is "all good".

But if someone is going to buy new stuff only why not the LBS.
My LBS is way too busy selling bikes to pay much attention to special order stuff. They always say "We'll call when it comes in." and they never have. So IF I need it AND they got it, I'll buy it and I don't ask for discounts. Otherwise I order it from the mfg or however high up the chain I can go.

I cruise the 'bay for deals on NOS, and such-not as a main supply house. ;)

oh and yeah, the Sidi's I got off the bay "worn one time" were beat all to heck on the soles. Not accurate, but no biggie as I have to mod the soles for spindle clearance anyhoo.

Avispa
05-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Also in the description: "Good condition, Less than 100 miles use."

Turns out the cassette I receive is an 11-34, filthy and used big-time (shark-tooth shaped wear, etc.)

Something similar happened to me a while back with a set of Ergo levers I was trying to get for a buddy. The auction said, "Pristine" Then, I get the levers and I see rust on some of the metal parts!

When I e-mailed the guy, he gets offended and tells me: "you must be looking at these things with a magnifying glass..." I said: "bro, you must be blind!" and asked for a refund or else he would get neg. feedback!

Luckily, everything turned for the best and he offered to refund some of the total price paid, and my friend was OK after we had to clean the levers...

So, for now on, I don't trust pictures or nothing is not sold as new on eBay!

I must say, however, that for the times I have used eBay, most of my experiences have been great!

..A..

Louis
05-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, this one has a happy ending. The seller refunded my entire original purchase price (even though I only asked him to refund only the cost of the cassette). So I'm only out the price of shipping it back to him (about $5).

Louis

rounder
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
It was winter last year and was looking for something to do...so bid on a red ciii frame on ebay...red with white graphics. No one else bid and got it for a reasonable price...couldn't be happier today (maybe someone from here sold it). Never bought anything on ebay before. Anyway, was going to take parts off my old bike and build it up but decided it would be fun to go for more ebay stuff. Bought more parts from ebay and most deals went great, except...bought an unused record crankset...exactly as described including shipping at $50!! (wasn't paying attention) and a deda blackstick seatpost that was supposed to be 27.2 but was really more like 27.2++. Anyway, the project went well and am happy and like ebay, but learned that you need to be careful and know what you are doing.

thwart
05-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Well... I'm generally a fan of buying bike stuff on eBay as I've found most folks to be fair and honest, almost to a fault.

That said, I've just had a transaction that would sour anybody on the experience.

I needed a pre-2001 9 speed Campy RD, and bought one labeled as such, a Veloce. Didn't really do my homework as I usually do (my wife actually has a bike built with 8 spd Campy and this RD looks exactly like her Athena). So I contact the seller with my concerns about this and mention the possibility of just canceling the transaction. He insists, rather rudely, that it is indeed 9 speed, not 8 speed, and that he will sic the eBay police on me if I don't pay up. Anyway, the RD arrives and does turn out to be an 8 spd RD, but with a 9 spd upper jockey wheel mounted (BTW, with lots of side to side toggle). The cage itself is no longer parallel, as the upper 9 spd wheel is narrower at that end than the width of the correct 8 spd lower jockey wheel---and indeed the bolt holding the upper jockey wheel extends 2-3 mm beyond flush on the cage, unlike the other wheel.

So... (yes, I know it's only a used RD, for which I paid all of $35) I contact the seller and ask for a refund, and offer to pay for shipping both ways.

Here's his friendly reply: "Return it if you want (I'll refund your money thru PayPal, minus the original shipping cost, once I receive it from you), but you're wrong on all counts. These are the original jockey pulleys -- I should know, since I've owned this derailleur since new. And this is a 9-speed derailleur (I bought it as such, and used it for a little while on a 9-sp bike). And the upper jockey pulley is supposed to move from side to side more than the lower one -- it's a purposeful innovation (now used on nearly all rear derailleurs) to aid in shifting. I too have learned a lesson here -- I've already blocked you from ever bidding on any of my auctions ever again..."

Yikes.

PM me for the user name---surprisingly, this guy has over 600 transactions with 100% feedback.