PCR
05-15-2008, 10:09 PM

cadence231
05-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Holy crap!
Are you still walking and stuff?

burlsube
05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
I had a similar accident with my Ksyriums (sp?). I called Mavic and they were kind enough to fix/warranty the wheel for me. But I was working at a regional bike magazine at the time so I'm not sure if the rep was just being nice....

paczki
05-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Holy guacamole! :banana:

WickedWheels
05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Cool!

Put another one directly opposite this one, so it doesn't throw the wheel off balance.

fierte_poser
05-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey! You promised more than one photo in your thread title. From just the one photo, its hard to come up with a definitive answer, but it appears that your rim has something stuck through it. Looks like Steve Martin's head in the 70s. You know, if you would just switch to tubulars you wouldn't have these issues. :rolleyes:

cadence231
05-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey! You promised more than one photo in your thread title. From just the one photo, its hard to come up with a definitive answer, but it appears that your rim has something stuck through it. Looks like Steve Martin's head in the 70s. You know, if you would just switch to tubulars you wouldn't have these issues. :rolleyes:

+1.http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m131/cadence220/bunnycake.gif

deanster
05-15-2008, 11:24 PM
With less than 300 miles on my new Mavic Open Pros, here is the present I got today on my ride home from work (rear wheel). Any suggestions? Anybody got a wheel for sale? :crap:

The decal doesn't look like an Open Pro rim decal "SSC" ????

Louis
05-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Once, years ago while doing a cool-down lap around my apartment complex, my front tire ran over a piece of mulch which flipped up into the air a few inches and landed at just the right angle (momentarily, since a split second later it would have fallen over, because it could not balance in that position) so that when my rear tire rolled over it the tire and tube were punctured. No rim damage, though.

I wonder how that screw was able to be in a similarly deadly angle?

Louis

PCR
05-16-2008, 12:34 AM

PCR
05-16-2008, 12:35 AM

PCR
05-16-2008, 12:38 AM

caleb
05-16-2008, 02:14 AM
Bummer.

The good thing about riding Open Pros is any decent shop should replace the rim and get you rolling for around $100.

I always think about pictures like this when guys are asking if their Zipps are durable enough for daily training.

CNY rider
05-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Wow you really got screwed.

thwart
05-16-2008, 06:41 AM
I was at a LBS (Atkins Bike Shoppe) when Dan repaired a client's Ksyrium SL with a similar injury. Used a metal plug and epoxy...

Can't speak to the durability of the repair.

mister
05-16-2008, 09:32 AM
uhh, i'd replace the rimtape and then new tube and tire and ride it :)

Orin
05-16-2008, 05:30 PM

That's what I did when I had something similar happen... I don't recall if the offending screw went all the way, through it did make a few holes on the inside of the rim through the rim tape. The rim eventually died from unrelated cracking around the spoke eyelets.

If I were really worried about it, I'd just swap in a new rim.

Orin.

Ahneida Ride
05-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Unbelievable .... Rim is replacable. You are not.
I am glad you're fine.

How bout the thread with the D**2 napkin that got caught in the
guys derallier. He saw the napkin a mile away too. :confused:

SPOKE
05-16-2008, 06:26 PM
i bet that you got a couple scratches in the frame too! OUCH!! :crap:

saab2000
05-16-2008, 06:36 PM

Me too. That looks cool, but I'd ride it.

WadePatton
05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Wha? you didn't buy the road hazard warranty? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tape and ride. Mebbe some JB-quick (epoxy-it's black) and deburring of the hole depending on how ragged it is.

continued luck to ya!

dvancleve
05-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I have had a long drywall screw go through the tire, in and out through the tube and through the inner wall of the rim. If that was my wheel, I would remove the screw, maybe carefully smooth out the hole (might help reduce the risk of cracks propagating) and ride it. Check regularly for cracking at the hole, but I bet it lasts a long time.

Doug

mbrtool
05-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I had a similar puncture and after about a couple hundred miles the rim started to split along the hole until the rim could not pass through the brake pads.

mister
05-17-2008, 12:21 PM
oh man, last night. i had my spoke wrench finally, went to meet my girlfriend after work. her rim went out of true all of the sudden. not real bad but enough to rub. so i get my spoke wrench out and spin the wheel so i can see which spokes need adjusting.
i find the bad spot and then look at the rim. holy crap. the spoke is pulling the whole flat part of the rim away from the braking area.
i don't have an extra rim except a tubular so today she gets to learn how to glue a tub, and take one off and what to do if she gets a flat. she gonna be mad that she gotta carry a whole extra tire with her :D

vaxn8r
05-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I would not ride it. Hit something else hard and it may blow out, could jam the brakes or the frame. There has to be stress fractures extending all around the defect. Why risk injury, frame damage or gettting stranded except to be cool or cheap?

My buddy did the exact same damage to a Ksyrium wheel. He had it repaired for about $100 iirc, but that was like 6 years ago.