PDA

View Full Version : Wound Up and bung?

rustychisel
05-15-2008, 08:40 PM
What would you use on a Wound Up 1 1/8 fork, a star spangled nut or an expanding bung? Any prefferred brands in the latter? The steerer is going to be used with max stack height (>40mm) on a tall head tube FWIW.

Thanks IA.

maunahaole
05-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I dont have an answer, but does it have carbon or alloy steerer? I'm no expert, but you should probably use a bung in a carbon steerer. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

DHallerman
05-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I dont have an answer, but does it have carbon or alloy steerer? I'm no expert, but you should probably use a bung in a carbon steerer. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting, looking at a product guide from Wound Up (which came when I got one recently), and consider this:

* The 1-inch carbon steerer tube comes with a compression plug, with the obvious statement to use one and not star-fangled nut

* The 1-1/8 inch carbon steerer tube does not come with a plug, which implies that it can go either way

At least that's the way I read it.

Still, I'd go plug with carbon.

But are there any advantages to a star-fangled nut if that's okay?

Dave, who will likely get a 1-1/8 inch Wound Up fork for a build he'll get to relatively soon

gone
05-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Quoting the installation info from Wound Up:

1-1/8" carbon steer tube forks are threadless only. These steerers require a star fangled nut that is typically used for 1" aluminum steerers.

The steerer tube is a carbon wrap around an aluminum core.

rustychisel
05-15-2008, 11:48 PM

This is correct, the internal diameter is 20.5mm, carbon with alloy insert bonded into place. Thanks, maybe I could have read the installation instructions a LITTLE more closely. :crap:

DHallerman
05-16-2008, 07:59 AM

1-1/8" carbon steer tube forks are threadless only. These steerers require a star fangled nut that is typically used for 1" aluminum steerers.

If the 1-1/8" carbon steer tube requires a nut typically used for 1" steerers, does that mean that the nut that would come with a 1-1/8" headset, like Chris King, would not work?

Or, does the sentence from Wound Up mean the type of nut typically used for 1" (but actually the 1-1/8" size)?

Dave, who is still new to threadless and you should see his quill stem collection to prove it

gone
05-16-2008, 08:28 AM
If the 1-1/8" carbon steer tube requires a nut typically used for 1" steerers, does that mean that the nut that would come with a 1-1/8" headset, like Chris King, would not work?

Or, does the sentence from Wound Up mean the type of nut typically used for 1" (but actually the 1-1/8" size)?

Dave, who is still new to threadless and you should see his quill stem collection to prove it
The nut that comes with a 1-1/8" headset would not work. This will be obvious the second you lay it on top of the steerer, there's no way you could hammer it into the steerer tube.

You need the nut typically used for a 1".