PDA

View Full Version : Santana Scandium single

kestrel
09-27-2004, 06:54 AM
I can't find much information on this particular frameset made by Santana.
Thought I see if anyone here has an knowledge of it. The only thing I know is: Santana made a select few scandium singles (maybe 100 or 200) to get them on the road for feedback regarding a tandem project they were investigating. I have a chance to buy one of the singles, and was interested in what this board of experts might know about the frameset.

icstom
07-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't know how old your post is but I have a Santana single and I love it. I bought it used with the following:

Easton Carbon Seat Post
690 Gram Rear Wheel Zip Hub
640 Front Wheel
Reynolds Duro Pro Fork
9 Spd. Dura Ace Components
Grand Prix Tires
Chris King Headset

I called Santana to ask specifics on the frame and was told that it was made in 1999 and only 100 were made. If you have any other questions. Let me know.

Jiwa Jiwa
07-19-2006, 07:20 PM
55/rad owned/owns one here in Portland, OR.

(PS post looks to be from 04...)

kestrel
07-19-2006, 07:30 PM
icstom,

Yes, I have gotten a good bit of info in the last year. As stated, 55/Rad on this forum owned one, but sold it to a buddy. I still own mine. Here is the info Rad found from a call to Santana:

Quote from Rad:

So I got the itch and called Santana. I spoke with Steve, who is the Sales Manager. He was extremely helpful. Here's what I learned.

-Santana is in LaVerne California - a small community about 50 miles east of LA in the pit of the San Gabriel Valley. There is a tiny private university there - U of LaVerne - that only about 800 students attend. I happen to have spent 2 years there back in '78/79. Immediate connection made.

-All the stuff about working with Easton to develop Scandium tubes for bikes is very true.The purpose was to find the right combination of tubing for future tandems - no surprise there.

-Here's the fun part - less than 300 were actually made. A total of 54 were made in the 56 size, starting with #400. Yes, you have the #1 in the size 56! I have #13.

-Yours was welded on 7/30/99 and came out of the paint shop on 10/4/99. Mine was welded on 9/30/99 and came out of paint on 12/8.

-They considered the program a success and tried to market the frames a bit, but shops didn't show the response they were hoping for, so they killed any plans to make a real go with the singles and moved to work on the tandems.

-Actual weight of the frame - without headset and fork - is 960 grams, or 2.12 pounds.

Here's a pic of mine built:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/serotta/1closesantanasidecopy.jpg

icstom
07-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the additional info. I have a size 56 also. I see the Model #SC7000 with the Easton logo in two places on the frame but where is the number indicating production located?

kestrel
07-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Mine is XST 400. You will find it stamped on the bottom bracket. Turn the bike over and look on the edge of the shell to the non-drive side.

If you need a picture I can take one tomorrow.

I noticed your location is also NC. Did you by chance buy the bike from Bruce at Cool Breeze?

icstom
07-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the help. I haven't had a chance to look yet. Yes I did buy it from Bruce. You must be local.

kestrel
07-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I bought the other frameset from Bruce. He had it stashed away in his upstairs for years, and I kept teasing him about reducing the price and selling it to me. He finally decided we could come to terms. I am not local, althought my wife's family is from Mooresville and we visit weekly. We live about 45 miles away on the other side of Charlotte (Weddington). I thought at one time Bruce or John told me you lived over towards Statesville.
If you get back to the shop, ask John or Bruce about the "sucker" er, ah, person that bought the other Stylus, they both know me.

55/Rad
07-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm a tad late to to the party but I'll chime in anyway.

The condensed version - 18 months ago, I wanted a Scandium frame and stumbled across this gorgeous blue Santana. I took a flyer and had a lot of fun building it up into a 15 pound climber. After 6 months, I concluded the fit wasn't ideal for me so I stripped it and sold the frame to a good friend. I still see it weekly.

In the end, it was a fantastic frame - stiff, light, responsive and somewhat comfortable. A real head turner that attracted a lot of attention with its clear paint over swirled-finished tubing.

Mine was XST 413. The number 4 denotes the 56 size and it was the 13th model made in that size. Actually, since Kestrel's XST-400 was the first, I guess that would make 413 the 14th.

55/Rad
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2379/stylusdeepblueframe1fp4.jpg

kestrel
07-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm glad Rad checked in, he always has a bit more insight to ride quality just based on the shear number of frames he's owned.

I agree with Rad's assessment. Owning a Kestrel 200 SCI, Serotta Ti legend, 2 Raleigh 531c's, and a Cannondale 3.0 crit frame, I'd compare the Santana favorably with the Cannondale. It's ride is slightly more comfy, it is extremely stable downhill, and climbs well, (as well as a 195 lb. rider can climb, Ha!).
I think the frame may be stiffer than the Cannondale, but rides better because of the carbon fork and bars. It would be among the last bikes I would grab for any ride over 60 miles. The Kestrel and the Serotta would be my first choices, depending on the company along for the ride.

Big Dan
07-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Looks like a serious machine, enjoy the ride.... :)

kestrel
01-29-2009, 08:01 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I'd update it for the few people that read it the first time.
Several months ago the Stylus began creaking. I checked and replaced just about everything, and couldn't get the creaking to stop. Finally, with my glasses on, I found the problem. A crack running around the upper side of the bottom bracket weld into the seat tube and down tube. I had just about decided to strip the frame and keep it for wall art. On a lark, I called Santana a couple of weeks ago and gave them the lowdown on the frameset. 4770 miles since new, never been crashed, etc. They asked for proof of purchase as the original owner, and issued me an RA number. Yesterday they called and said the frame had been repaired and refreshed. It was being tested as we spoke and if the tests were satisfactory the frame was scheduled to be shipped in a day or two. They wished me well and hoped everything would be satisfactory when it arrived.
To this point, it seems like exceptionally good customer service for a limited production experimental frame constructed in 1999.

old fat man
01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I'd update it for the few people that read it the first time.
Several months ago the Stylus began creaking. I checked and replaced just about everything, and couldn't get the creaking to stop. Finally, with my glasses on, I found the problem. A crack running around the upper side of the bottom bracket weld into the seat tube and down tube. I had just about decided to strip the frame and keep it for wall art. On a lark, I called Santana a couple of weeks ago and gave them the lowdown on the frameset. 4770 miles since new, never been crashed, etc. They asked for proof of purchase as the original owner, and issued me an RA number. Yesterday they called and said the frame had been repaired and refreshed. It was being tested as we spoke and if the tests were satisfactory the frame was scheduled to be shipped in a day or two. They wished me well and hoped everything would be satisfactory when it arrived.
To this point, it seems like exceptionally good customer service for a limited production experimental frame constructed in 1999.

did they perform a seat tube and down tube ectomy? that seems excessive compared to starting over with fresh tubes...

kestrel
01-29-2009, 08:27 PM
My understanding was the repair was the only alternative if I wished to keep the frame. Santana abandoned the single business in 1999. I already own a perfectly good tandem so I didn't feel the need to negotiate a reduced price tandem frame. They did inform me there would be a double bead at the bottom bracket, replacing the original single bead. I guess if one bead is good, two is better! Nothing to lose at this point, just wait and see what it looks like.

dvs cycles
01-30-2009, 08:31 AM
icstom,

Yes, I have gotten a good bit of info in the last year. As stated, 55/Rad on this forum owned one, but sold it to a buddy. I still own mine. Here is the info Rad found from a call to Santana:

Quote from Rad:

So I got the itch and called Santana. I spoke with Steve, who is the Sales Manager. He was extremely helpful. Here's what I learned.

-Santana is in LaVerne California - a small community about 50 miles east of LA in the pit of the San Gabriel Valley. There is a tiny private university there - U of LaVerne - that only about 800 students attend. I happen to have spent 2 years there back in '78/79. Immediate connection made.

-All the stuff about working with Easton to develop Scandium tubes for bikes is very true.The purpose was to find the right combination of tubing for future tandems - no surprise there.

-Here's the fun part - less than 300 were actually made. A total of 54 were made in the 56 size, starting with #400. Yes, you have the #1 in the size 56! I have #13.

-Yours was welded on 7/30/99 and came out of the paint shop on 10/4/99. Mine was welded on 9/30/99 and came out of paint on 12/8.

-They considered the program a success and tried to market the frames a bit, but shops didn't show the response they were hoping for, so they killed any plans to make a real go with the singles and moved to work on the tandems.

-Actual weight of the frame - without headset and fork - is 960 grams, or 2.12 pounds.

Here's a pic of mine built:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/serotta/1closesantanasidecopy.jpg
That looks just like mine but smaller. ;)

TimB
01-30-2009, 09:25 AM
I have no experience with the Santana single, but as an owner of a used, bought sight-unseen-over-the-internet 1994 Arriva...

The Santana customer service has always been top-rate. Called them before I closed the deal on the tandem with the serial number. They were able to verify the size, components, and the claim of the seller to be the owner of a recently defunct bike shop clearing NOS inventory. (In the case, a test-ride tandem, is that NOS?) I've never had Bill McReady answer the phone when I've called (like Richard Schwinn has when I've called Waterford/Gunnar) but you always get a real person, and they're always helpful and friendly.

kestrel
03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
The bike has just arrived at the shop. I haven't seen it yet, but the guys at the shop tell me it is not an aesthetically pleasing fix, with a bit of stain around the weld area. I'll see in a few days.
It took forever to ship because Santana told the shop guys that the process had to cure for 30 days prior to shipment. Every heard of that???????

dvs cycles My bike's big brother sure looks great! :beer:

kestrel
09-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Update on my Stylus.

I rode it until last week. Another crack, this time at the lower water bottle boss on the downtube. Santana asked for it back again to examine it and decide what could be done. Customer service has been wonderful to this point.
It is my understanding the scandium Stylus singles were produced with very thinwall tubing. The scandium tandems are done with a slightly thicker wall tubing, eliminating the problem.

dvs cycles
09-06-2009, 05:46 PM
It is my understanding the scandium Stylus singles were produced with very thinwall tubing. The scandium tandems are done with a slightly thicker wall tubing, eliminating the problem.
Glad to hear that. Thank your Stylus for me for being the test mule for the Tandems.. :beer:

kestrel
09-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Glad to hear that. Thank your Stylus for me for being the test mule for the Tandems.. :beer:

Never got a chance to thank the Stylus for you. It's already packed and ready for shipping. Hopefully I'll see it again and pass along the good deed it's done. ;)

RAAM14
09-12-2009, 12:14 AM
For what it's worth...I went to Santana a number of years back to purchase decals for a tandem I thought I was going to repaint. While there I started talking painter talk with their shop foreman and he showed me a row of then new Scandium frames like yours. I just about fainted when I felt how light they were which eclipsed my astonishment that they even made a single. I had no idea how rare they are and that they were never produced in larger numbers. I'm confident that the folks at Santana will make things right because they are a tight knit group who appear to take great pride in their product and customer loyalty which is well deserved.

kestrel
09-12-2009, 05:51 PM
RAAM14, I'll agree with you completely. Santana has been very proactive in fixing a frame that was last produced in 1999. I hope they figure a way for me to get on that frame again, but if they don't it's still been a great ride.

The frame has been gone less than a week. I'll be sure to update this thread when I hear something.

kestrel
02-10-2010, 06:28 AM
I always hate it when I read a thread that shares some decisions, then some problems but never gets back for a conclusion.
So, for the one or two of you on here that love to see conclusion to a story, here it is:

Santana received the broken Stylus frameset. They concluded that it was not repairable. The also found a repaired frameset after the owner received an NOS that was in stock all those years. The repaired frameset they offered me was none other than 55/Rad's pictured in this thread. I accepted the offer. They said it needed painting and gave me a choice of colors. Several weeks later it arrived looking like a brand new frame. I decided to build it as a fixed gear. New wheels, new hub (White Industries Eric Eccentric for vertical dropouts), etc. Bike was built, on the first test ride the old Campy C-record crank snapped at the hidden chainring bolt. The broken part lodged between the crank arm and the right chainstay, effectively breaking the chainstay. Frame damage beyond repair after less than 1 mile of ride time.

I already had all the parts to convert a vertical dropout frame to a fixie, so I bought a closeout Scattante XRL frame for under 200 dollars and built the fixed gear.

Case closed on my adventures with the Santana Stylus frames.

Footnote: The Stylus now makes a beautiful piece of art work looking for a compatible-with-wife place in our home.