PDA

View Full Version : numb toes

false_Aest
05-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey,

Been noticing that on rides over 1hr my big toe (and sometimes the one next to it) on my right food has been goin numb.

I'm using the exact same set-up as last year--nothing's really changed. I rode with my shoes loose today to see if I was cutting off blood flow--no dice.

Any thoughts?

Louis
05-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Pinching a nerve somewhere?

Thicker socks?

Z3c
05-15-2008, 05:55 PM
You might want to look at your insoles as they do wear out. If they are not supporting you correctly anymore, then you could have an issue related to your arch.

Scott

WadePatton
05-15-2008, 05:57 PM
I thought mine was position or setup related as it's always more noticeable on the roadie (I get numbness and tingling in the left leg/foot after an hour), BUT it reared it's ugly head on my last mountain bike ride--where nothing is the same.

So I'm now attributing it to ancient injuries from an accident in 1988. Details upon request. short: left leg pinched/crushed at knee-arteriograft, muscle damage, patella damage, nerve damage.

I've also notice that it comes on quicker with greater exertion.

false_Aest
05-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Thinner socks this year actually.

I hadn't thought about insoles.... Sidi's insoles are barely insoles. Any suggestions for new ones--heat molded ones maybe?

The only previous injuries I have are on the other leg.
--

Ooooh I forgot. Major difference in life-style from last year. This year I'm at the gym lifting 5 days a week---up from 0 days/week the previous 26 years.

regularguy412
05-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I get numb toes from time to time. However, that situation is getting better. I also already know what is causing it, too. I have a lower back problem. L3 has a compression fracture on the right side and the disk below it is slightly compressed on that side, as well. L3 is 'out' to one side and the disk is 'out' in the opposite direction. This takes the extra 'length' out of my spinal cord. When I bend over, the free 'ends' of the cord are stretched. The ones that affect the last two toes on each foot are affected. This eventually causes those toes to go numb. The next stage, for me, after numbness is hotfoot.

As my back muscles get stronger and stabilize that area better, the numbness has become less. I should interject that I slightly re-injured that area last Spring and it has taken me this whole year to get back to almost normal.

Mike in AR:beer:

Ginger
05-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Yep, bulging discs at L5/S1 and L2/L3 are impinging on my nerve and the toes on my left foot go numb when I ride...kicks in at about 9 miles so I get off and do some self-traction and I'm good for another 10.

Lifting? Do your planks and core work.

Have a doc look at it. You don't want that to progress as far as I let mine...

cadence231
05-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Whenever I get tight in a muscle (ongoing spasm) in my calves these sorts of things you describe happen.
Also my changing foot anatomy lead to bunions which caused a snowball effect with all sorts of pains in my feet and numbness in my feet. I had to eventually get rx custom shoes.

whitecda
05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I hadn't thought about insoles.... Sidi's insoles are barely insoles. Any suggestions for new ones--

I worked with a PT that specialized in bike fittings just a few weeks ago..dealing with this same issue. One of the changes he recommended was switching to Powerstep Pinnacle insoles. http://www.powersteps.com/index.asp

The other changes are specific to me, but switching to these insoles made a huge diff! Seems to spread the pressure over a much larger area.

Z3c
05-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Specialized has a line of insoles that have helped a lot of folks. Sole makes some heatable/moldable insoles; I use them and find them to be very comfortable. You might seek out a local walking/running store that has some trained folks and see what they tell you about your arch support needs. Some bike fitters will know about feet as well; your cleat position could be part of the problem.. Just because all was fine last year does not mean all was right, it may mean you were just coping with it better than you are now for some reason.

Clearly as others have stated, there are multiple potential causes of your issue..

Scott

Kane
05-16-2008, 02:36 AM
If you don't have any back pain, it is much less likely that your foot numbness is coming from your L5 nerve. However, the location of your paresthesia is in what may be considered an L5 nerve distribution. It is also very possible that you have a foot neuroma. This is a nerve irritation as the nerve passes between the meta-tarsal bones of your foot. ie. it is a primary foot problem.

Here is the test that I would try. Sit in a chair with a straight back. Extend the leg of your problem foot so that your knee is locked. Twist your torso all the way left and all the way right. If this changes your foot paresthesia (def. altered sensations), than it is likely that your foot symptom is coming from your back. Additionally, you could pull your toe towards your knee (dorsi-flexion) while rotation your foot internally. If this doesn't change the paresthesia see a podiatrist.

Test 2: Squeeze in area between your meta-tarsal bones with your thumb and index finger. If you have a sore spot that increases your paresthesia, than you likely have a neuroma. See a podiatrist.

Test 3: Stand in a doorway and do 20 heel and 20 toe raises. Weakness on the problem foot may indicate a disc issue. See a Ortho or a chiropractor.

Test 4: Put a dull metal dinner fork in the refrigerator for a few minutes. Pull it out and lightly press the handle against the 'numb' area. If there is a long delay or absence of sensation in your foot. See a doctor.

That powerstep insole is a pos imo. for this problem, because there is no meta-tarsal support (a 'cookie').

P.S. Did I say see a doctor. good luck