PDA

View Full Version : InterBike 2004

Smiley
09-26-2004, 09:12 PM
How stupid is the bike industry anyway , why on earth won't they open the Interbike show to the public anyway . They could hold the show Open to the public on the weekend and close it thereafter for dealers so they can put out their prices. I really don't care having been to this show before I realize that most of the stuff shown will prove to be a bust anyway . I just think for an industry already hurting they need to be more open to their customers especially the ones willing to pay to attend this show. I for one look forward to the Annapolis Sailboat show and attend it every year and pay more to go on VIP day to beat the large crowds. Maybe Cycling should take a clue from the boating industry. Still dreaming of my final boat and will be looking at 2 new entries at this years show. What do you think of Interbike and how do we express our views on being locked out .

Bill Bove
09-27-2004, 03:51 AM
I haven't gone to the show for a couple of years, it's hard for me to go to LV. I used to go to Atlantic City and Philadelphia. I prefer bi-coastal shows.

I agree Smiley, the show should be open to the public for a day or two after the industry is done. Part of the reason the public is excluded is because this is a "working" show, the suppliers are there to show new product and book pre-season orders. With most of the big bike companys now introducing new year models as early as July, we pretty much have a good idea what's going to be available next year so they should show, sell and then let the public in to see and hopefully get excited about new stuff that is almost already available. The European shows are open to the public and it hasn't ruined the business over there.

Russ
09-27-2004, 11:05 AM
They could hold the show Open to the public on the weekend and close it thereafter for dealers so they can put out their prices

As if we couldn't find the cost of most items through reliable sources at the local shops, vendors, etc. :cool:

I mentioned before that most shows in Europe are open to the general public, I think on the last day or so.

I really don't understand the US bike industry position... they are hurting big time, yet they keep the stuff all secretive.

gdw
09-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Interbike should be a trade show for the industry to conduct business. Let the companies, reps, and dealers have their time together without having to deal with the masses. If you have ever had to work a trade show you would understand that they're not too popular with many of the reps in the booths. Working the booth is pretty tedious and standing on concrete for a few days is tough on the back. It's easier when the attendees are knowledgable and understand the business and are going to purchase something to help defray the high cost of travel, food and lodging, booth space, marketing literature, ect.

Public shows are usually a bust. The attendees are out to collect literature and swag and often are ignorant, opinionated, and obnoxious. The reps are stuck in the booth and have to ride out the storm knowing that their efforts won't lead to many future sales.

A better solution than opening Interbike is to have regional shows. Link up with the people behind Veloswap and see if they would be interested in having weekend shows instead of one day sales events. Saturday could be a trade show for the masses while Sunday would be the swap day. Regional shows would also allow more people to attend than one national show.

vaxn8r
09-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Yet another reason to support the lbs.

I got offered a ticket this year but declined due to too much time off work already this year. Would have been fun though. Especially the first part of the week where you can go out and ride all the new Specailized mountain bikes in the dirt.

quattro
09-27-2004, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=gdw] The reps are stuck in the booth and have to ride out the storm knowing that their efforts won't lead to many future sales.

gdw, I have to take issue with the statement above. Having been to Interbike and hoping to go this year, if it were open to joe public it gives them an opportunity to see every companies goods at one place and decide what component or frame/bike they may ultimately like to purchase. There are few top end bike shops that can carry huge selections of bikes/frames and stock many different components in their stores. After seeing and being able to hold and examine the quality of say a particular set of wheels, joe public can now go to his LBS and have them order the item. If you special order an item in many shops and don't like it it's still yours, having seen and previously examined the item makes it easy. so, I think a rep that makes the effort to explain the bike/frame/component has the possibility of the effort leading to many future sales. Inviting joe public would significantly add to future sales. Just my two cents.

Bill Bove
09-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Quattro and gdw, you both have a point, wear a hat... no, really. The show is a TRADE show where the mfrs and reps are there to sell to the dealers with out the distraction of the public. It's neccesary for the industry. I have done Interbike both as a rep and a shop's buyer. It is a long three days, the first day or two it is very exciting, like a candy store but by the end you look at a rep, he says "it's a bike, you pedal it" and you just nod your head and walk away, looking for the beer booth. But if the show could be open to the public for one day, the public would get excited about the new stuff and drive up sales. Most shops will bring a customer or friend anyway, as long as they don't learn the secret handshake they get to go home alive and no harm is done to the industry.

Smiley
09-27-2004, 09:33 PM
I think its in the best interest for the industry to get the consumer excited about the new products . I don't think the BIG boys will benefit as much as the smaller companies that exhibit in the show. Most consumers never really get to see what's out there and certainly never get a chance to kick the tires on their dream bikes. I ask WHY NOT open it to the public every other bike show in Europe is available to the public.

dirtdigger88
09-27-2004, 10:15 PM
I attend a couple of trade shows a year for my job. One is kept fairly closed to people outside the industry- the other is not. I can never get anything done at the latter due to that fact. I may be trying to talk shop with a vendor when "harry home owner" comes over with some off the wall question. It just wastes my time and the vendors. Don't get me wrong- I would love to see Interbike but I get why it is closed off as well

Jason

Russ
09-27-2004, 10:27 PM
....But if the show could be open to the public for one day, the public would get excited about the new stuff and drive up sales.

I ask WHY NOT open it to the public every other bike show in Europe is available to the public.

Just like I said on that other post.... The Euros must know something we don't know. :p