PDA

View Full Version : Another Crankset Post

Mud
05-15-2008, 07:48 AM
About 4 years ago I switched to a compact crankset on my Colnago (which I no longer have) and followed that path with my Legend running a 50/34 SLK set-up.

I admit to being lazy and comfortible in spinning the bike, especially with a 12/27 cassette. I just switched back to Campy with a 13/29 cassette with dreams of climbing even bigger hills.

At the same time I get tired of being passed by people who I should be at a par with. So I decided to push the 50 ring. The speed went up, the cadence went down and my knees told me I was nuts.

So I examined my riding. I am not even the best rider in the house but if the hills get steep enough I am the better climber. Brute force wins out over a 120# technician.

I switched to a 53/39. Speed is up, cadence is up (but still has a long way to go) and my knees don't hurt. The best part is that I can move along at a comfortible speed (for me) in the three smallest cogs and the 39 ring without major shifting as with the compact crank.

I have run a 50/36 on the Colnago which was probably better than the 50/34 but I really believe that when I can't handle the 39 ring on hills I would move to a triple.

My ego says that I have to try the biggest hill some time later this year just to know, but it is like the old joke where the visitor asks someone "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice, practice practice." :banana: