PDA

View Full Version : how was the ride today?

Fixed
05-15-2008, 07:02 AM
bro anyone notice a lot of cats out riding this a.m. on the way to work ?
yesterday i came up on a cat who was down in front of a school bus he got up.. there is a bike lane there ... I see a lot of funny looking riders these days
there are city riders that have been doing it forever and there are the ones that just started riding cos of gas cost or whatever ..the old city riders have a relaxed way of riding where the new cats look like they are struggling . the good thing more cats out riding makes it a safer place for all of us i think
cheers imho

justinf
05-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Two good rides today, one nice fixed solo shot in the early morning of about 15 quick miles. Later in the day, out again with a couple buddies and a couple of their buddies for another 25 or so on the town loop. More riders than I've ever seen out there short of an event, and it was overcast, threatening rain the whole time. Kinda strange but cool. We were riding easy, just kickin back and talking in a pack of about 9-10 of us, sometimes 3 abreast in the city. It was cool. Then a date with the wife. . . a really good day. cheers.

old_school
05-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Just got from a morning cruise. Only 3 weeks out of knee surgery, I can't believe how good it feels. Orthopedics has come so far over the years! Now, I just have to get my winter chicken legs back in shape.

Surprisingly few bikes on the road this morning, given such a nice day ... only saw one commuter. Perhaps it was the threat of rain this afternoon.

Hardlyrob
05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Going out later today - work gets in the way.

Great ride yesterday - lots of cats on bikes. Saw three people twice on the loop I did - good bike vibes all around.

Congrats on the surgery recovery Old_School! It's great you're back on the bike. My Orthopod said to get out as soon as you felt like it after surgery - the best thing you can do for a knee.

Cheers!

mschol17
05-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Summer is on its way here in DC and the oppressive humidity is whispering that it is near.

Fixed
05-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Summer is on its way here in DC and the oppressive humidity is whispering that it is near.
bro I stayed in g town last summer it was great to see all the people walking everywhere and all the hip cats on their fixies i saw a big group on a training ride around g.washington u. ..it made me really want my bike
cheers

benb
05-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Funny thing with bike to work week.. got a saddle sore saturday.. took 3 days off, today was the first day all week I've rode to work, and it's raining. :(

znfdl
05-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Portions of the bike path into DC were too crowded. Gas sure has changed the number of commuters going into DC.

However, the morning was glorious and had a nice fast 23 mile ride into work.

The scenery on the path was also very nice.

cadence231
05-15-2008, 10:56 AM
I have seen more commuters than normal here in suvland.

thejen12
05-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Tons of cyclists out there today. I stopped at an "Energizer Station" at Kaiser (large HMO) and they gave out small neon green mesh backpacks with reflective stripes on them, great for carrying stuff on a commute. In fact, I think someone was referencing something similar in the thread about "where do you carry your clothes" for long rides. Lots of other SWAG out there, too, but that was the best yet!

Jenn

fierte_poser
05-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Jenn,

Can you post a pic of said backpack? Any identifying tags that would give a clue as to where to purchase one? Bike week isn't until June here in Fort Collins...

Kent

hokoman
05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
i met "thejen12" on the ride to work today!!!! first time i've ridden all the way to work in seven years.. usually it's just to caltrain if i'm on my bike. now i'm thinking maybe i should have stopped at 1 of the 4 fuel stations i passed on my way into work!!!! :crap:

thejen12
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Jenn,

Can you post a pic of said backpack? Any identifying tags that would give a clue as to where to purchase one? Bike week isn't until June here in Fort Collins...

Kent
It will be a while (couple weeks) before I have a chance to post a picture, sorry. However, the tag inside says "Bag Makers" with a stylish logo, and it also says "made of recycled material, 100% recycleable & reusable". Of course, it also says "Made in China".

Oh, I found the link, here it is: http://www.bagmakersinc.com/exploerer.html

Jenn

thejen12
05-15-2008, 01:13 PM
i met "thejen12" on the ride to work today!!!! first time i've ridden all the way to work in seven years.. usually it's just to caltrain if i'm on my bike. now i'm thinking maybe i should have stopped at 1 of the 4 fuel stations i passed on my way into work!!!! :crap:
Yes, it was fun meeting my first forumite! (Although there is another forumite that I knew prior to joining the forum.) Hokomon, you definitely missed out, especially if you were hungry when you got to work....

Jenn

sloji
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Since I bought the Ottrott a couple of weeks ago i've been riding every morning about 25-30 miles and a 40-50 miler on Saturday. Yesterday morning I rode up a steep canyon that had grades about 10-14% and with the double I just had to grind away, beautiful ride although on the way back I had a quail fly into the rear wheel and the feathers flew...bummer! Today's ride was an easy one from San Luis Obispo to Avila Beach. It's a very pleasant cruise,a few rollers and plenty of wildlife from deer to rabbits and occasionally a very large bobcat that must be some 40lbs or more, don't want to tangle with him.

So far so good on the Ottrott, recumbent boy is pleased. Smooth, handles well, no neck pain. Now I need to retrain the muscles for the different position.

jsfoster
05-15-2008, 03:59 PM
46 miles in Westchester today. a half dozen other riders out there. The temp seemed to change about 10 degrees between when the sun was out and cloudy.. maybe less, but it was perfect temp either way.
-Jon

Bud_E
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
I took the day off yesterday and rode 75 miles up Latigo and Piuma . Once I got away from the traffic on PCH it was a pleasure -- quite a break from the weekend traffic in the canyons. Just beautiful up there. It was the maiden voyage of my Shimano R300 shoes -- they work great, no hot spots. My feet were the only thing not aching on my body after that ride. :beer:

DukeHorn
05-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Sigh, I missed the backpack. Was running late so I went by the station on Castro street in Mountain View to grab a bite to eat. Took the long way to work by going down Foothill and then working over to the other side of the 101 in Menlo Park. Just wasn't certain if I wanted to be biking through East Palo Alto in the mornings. Good ride, but it's going to be hot on the way back.

A.L.Breguet
05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Same route everyday for almost 8 weeks......On the trainer in my living room. The ribs are about healed, and the collar bone surgery will have been 6 weeks ago come next Wednesday. That's when I get back out on the road, wooowhooo! A lot different from the last time. I was 16, and I was back on
the road in 4 days.
I too have noticed a greater number of bike commuters the last few weeks.

Ahneida Ride
05-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Did a local 18 mile loop.

Has a steep hill in the middle 18% grade.

Definitely a nice 18 miler.

Dekonick
05-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Yuck! 18%

Been riding with my neighbor alot - really cool as I usually ride alone. It is nice to have company.

For the first time in 2 years (almost 3) I finally feel that I may be able to get back into the swing of things...two kids under 3 has made it difficult to get out much if at all...

It feels wonderful to have the legs burn again. :banana: :beer:

Karin Kirk
05-15-2008, 09:44 PM
OMG it didn't snow at all today! :)
This was by far the nicest day we've had this spring, with a beautiful, still evening with blue skies, white mountains and very green grass. We had our largest turnout yet for our Thurs club ride, which was fun. It also turned out to be my longest ride of the year and I still had a spring in my step when I got home just now.

But the coolest thing is that I found a new way to mix my recovery drink. Usually I just stir in the powder, but it doesn't mix too well and ends up gritty. Tonight I gave it a zap with my latte frother (like a little battery powered whisk) and it blended it up perfectly!

A good day all around. :)

Dekonick
05-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Zap is your latte frother?

Karin Kirk
05-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Zap is your latte frother?

No, zap goes my latte frother.
But if Zap wanted to come over and make us latte in the AM, that would be sweet.

bigbill
05-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I did my normal commute this morning. I rolled from the house at 5am and 50 degrees. It was foggy so I wore my thin yellow jacket. The fact that it is daylight by 5:30 creates a surreal scene of deserted streets and no need for my headlight. I own the place. I see the normal people that I pass on my way to work. My schedule won't let me slow down for a conversation but I always say good morning, ring the bell, and wish them a good ride. I arrived at work at 6:20 and started my day.

The trip home was nice even with a headwind. The temps were up around 70 and the traffic was pretty friendly. I rolled out of work at 4pm and got home at 5:25. Tomorrow is supposed to be 88 degrees which calls for a special weather alert here in the PNW.

sn69
05-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Which, for me, was the official start of my '08 bike commuting season. It's 38 miles from my door to the ferry that takes me across San Diego Bay to my work. I've been meaning to start since the clocks changed, but too much life-trauma (death of mother, memorial for mother, triage for father, etc). The time seemed right.

The ride in was fine, albeit somewhat blind. I hit heavy fog half way there, and between the water in the air, the profuse sweating in my illuminite jacket and my completely opaque glasses, I was riding blind and laughing. Still, my time was good and the ferry ride was zen-like and calming...as I remember from last year.

The ride home, however, wasn't so nice. I failed to eat a normal breakfast or lunch at work due to scheduled and pop-up meetings. No protein and nothing more than simple carbs. I started for home and knew immediately that there was trouble brewing. When "Cheeseburger In Paradise" rolls around in my head (as it did during RAAM), I know I've got problems. Half way home and my time was dreadful, even in spite of the headwinds and uphill grind. All told, it took nearly 3 hours to traverse slightly less than 40 miles. FEH! I came in, dumped the bike (SORRY, Dario!), and went straight to the chillchest for cheese and beer.

Time for sleep now, I think. Next week, I EAT. :cool: :crap: :rolleyes:

bigbill
05-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Which, for me, was the official start of my '08 bike commuting season. It's 38 miles from my door to the ferry that takes me across San Diego Bay to my work. I've been meaning to start since the clocks changed, but too much life-trauma (death of mother, memorial for mother, triage for father, etc). The time seemed right.

The ride in was fine, albeit somewhat blind. I hit heavy fog half way there, and between the water in the air, the profuse sweating in my illuminite jacket and my completely opaque glasses, I was riding blind and laughing. Still, my time was good and the ferry ride was zen-like and calming...as I remember from last year.

The ride home, however, wasn't so nice. I failed to eat a normal breakfast or lunch at work due to scheduled and pop-up meetings. No protein and nothing more than simple carbs. I started for home and knew immediately that there was trouble brewing. When "Cheeseburger In Paradise" rolls around in my head (as it did during RAAM), I know I've got problems. Half way home and my time was dreadful, even in spite of the headwinds and uphill grind. All told, it took nearly 3 hours to traverse slightly less than 40 miles. FEH! I came in, dumped the bike (SORRY, Dario!), and went straight to the chillchest for cheese and beer.

Time for sleep now, I think. Next week, I EAT. :cool: :crap: :rolleyes:

I am heading to the 68 next fall (09) to be the RMA. I'll probably geo for a while. No commuting other than waking and walking upstairs to my desk.

A.L.Breguet
05-16-2008, 05:12 AM

But the coolest thing is that I found a new way to mix my recovery drink. Usually I just stir in the powder, but it doesn't mix too well and ends up gritty. Tonight I gave it a zap with my latte frother (like a little battery powered whisk) and it blended it up perfectly!

A good day all around. :)
Put the powder in, then the water. Always put wet into dry, not the other way round. So says Mrs.Breguet, pastry chef :)

Fixed
05-16-2008, 07:17 AM
bro could a day be more beautiful than today ?
I wish all you cats were riding along with me today ...cheers from starbucks gotta carry 6 coffees to go

Karin Kirk
05-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Put the powder in, then the water. Always put wet into dry, not the other way round. So says Mrs.Breguet, pastry chef :)

Yes, that's how I had been doing it. But it was still lumpy.
Do you think pastries would make good recovery food? I might try that instead. ;)

palincss
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM

Well, last night that humidity assumed a rather more subtantial form. Fortunately, the rain stopped around 5 minutes before I left home, and was down to a very occasional drizzle as I rode in today.