PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Mass rides LA's 405 & 10 Freeways

DRZRM
05-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Crimanimal Mass (sort of like Critical Mass on steroids) was out and about on the Los Angeles 10 & 405 last Friday.

I know that this sort of thing upsets some of you folks who think we should not antagonize drivers. Sorry if I offend. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I figured it is interesting bike related content.

That said, I wish they'd open a branch in Boston.

Story and video link to previous ride below.

Photos and Story (http://laist.com/2008/05/14/photos_from_fri.php?gallery3018Pic=10#gallery)

Video (http://laist.com/2008/04/22/video_of_the_da_5.php)

CMY
05-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Having been intimately familiar with those freeways my whole life I loved watching that video. You don't know how many times the idea occurred to me..

DRZRM
05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah I lived in Echo Park for a while. It would have been a better way of getting around.

Having been intimately familiar with those freeways my whole life I loved watching that video. You don't know how many times the idea occurred to me..

Lifelover
05-14-2008, 09:02 PM
That's something I would never, ever do.

However, I didn't look that dangerous and kinda fun.

konstantkarma
05-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Outside of Denver, CO, near Evergreen, there is a section of I-70 where you have to ride on the interstate to get through to US 40. Man, that scares the He11 out of me every time. Of course, there the traffic is moving.

chuckred
05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Outside of Denver, CO, near Evergreen, there is a section of I-70 where you have to ride on the interstate to get through to US 40. Man, that scares the He11 out of me every time. Of course, there the traffic is moving.
That is a scary couple miles. Worse though, is the descent from Loveland Pass, onto I 70 going East until you can get off the Interstate again. 40 - 50 MPH on the shoulder with rumble strips on one side, guard rails on the other and semi's not far away. But, the reality is, it's not really any worse than riding on a 2 lane canyon road with traffic flying by at 50 - 60 MPH...

But, I've sat on the 405 in So CAl many times thinking I could be at my destination much faster on a bike!

CMY
05-15-2008, 12:37 AM
However, I didn't look that dangerous and kinda fun.

I've been discussing it with these same guys for a couple of weeks.. I may join them next time but I'm working towards some more thought provocative and less dangerous ideas.

Blue Jays
05-15-2008, 05:36 AM
They would more effectively communicate their point about enhanced transportation options if they remained in one traffic lane, avoided weaving (through driver blindspots), and wore helmets.

BumbleBeeDave
05-15-2008, 06:23 AM
They would more effectively communicate their point about enhanced transportation options if they remained in one traffic lane, avoided weaving (through driver blindspots), and wore helmets.

If they were all on reasonable bikes--check out that guy on the, uh, high wheeler--and rode in a cooperative fashion it would make their claimed point a lot better. The only thing they seem to be proving in this escapade is that they crave attention--and they're succeeding.

BBD

Blue Jays
05-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Many drivers in stop n' go traffic would be amused to see a dozen cyclists courteously commuting in the next lane. Heck, they might even roll down the windows and share a few laughs as everyone inched along.

Weaving unpredictably, wearing masks, gesticulating, having "Criminal Mass" as the group's name, and having an obvious disdain for cars ain't going to win friends and influence people. As an aside, if one of these riders were accidentally struck by a vehicle, I'll bet they would pray a motorized ambulance arrives to provide emergency medical care en route to the hospital.

Fixed
05-15-2008, 09:08 AM
most are kids ..they may not be doing the right thing ..but i have to admire that they are doing something that they think is right ... -cheers imho

DRZRM
05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
You said a mouthful there Fixed. Would anyone be watching them on youtube if they were just riding along in single file in a bike lane? If they did what BBD and BJ suggested nobody would be discussing their "claimed point" whether they were making it "better" or not. They are drawing attention to a situation, not pressuring legislators.

most are kids ..they may not be doing the right thing ..but i have to admire that they are doing something that they think is right ... -cheers imho

Blue Jays
05-15-2008, 12:07 PM
DRZRM, to what situation is Criminal Mass seeking attention? Perhaps the right of unhelmeted nitwits to weave recklessly amongst cars on crowded freeways?
A more impressive scene would have been a dozen riders, two abreast, in neat formation riding in a single traffic lane. They could engage passing drivers with a smile and distribute leaflets about bicycle commuting.
It would still get on YouTube and perhaps even grab human interest coverage on the local news.

gdw
05-15-2008, 12:31 PM
"The freeway is the last stronghold of the car, so when you've got 30
cyclists flying down the lanes, you feel like General Custer, you
feel like the good guys," said Alex Cantarero..."

Alex on the 10 = Custer at the Little Bighorn
Crazy Horse = SUV driver just trying to get home after work
Thump Thump.

BURCH
05-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Somewhere in Washington or Wyoming my group was stuck. Our planned route on a 2 lane rd was blocked for construction. We could either jump on a major highway for about 5 miles and get to the campsite before dark. Or take the detour for long enough to have us biking in the dark.

I think everyone chose the HWY. It had a wide shoulder and was for only 5 miles. I have to admit (since nothing bad happened) it was the funniest five miles ever!! :banana: Knowing that you weren't supposed to be on the HWY and that it was really dangerous, made me bike about as fast as I ever had. It was a major adrenaline rush for 5 miles. Again the HWY had a nice wide shoulder or I would have been fearing for my life the whole time I imagine.

DRZRM
05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
OK, true enough.

DRZRM, to what situation is Criminal Mass seeking attention? Perhaps the right of unhelmeted nitwits to weave recklessly amongst cars on crowded freeways?
A more impressive scene would have been a dozen riders, two abreast, in neat formation riding in a single traffic lane. They could engage passing drivers with a smile and distribute leaflets about bicycle commuting.
It would still get on YouTube and perhaps even grab human interest coverage on the local news.

Fixed
05-15-2008, 02:59 PM

bro you would make a great organizer for them
imho
cheers

CMY
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM

I suggested staging an 'event' that could be repeated multiple times on the side of the road. One eventually involved having a group of bikes towing a car (I deemed this one too dangerous due to weight/braking issues) and another involved a guy just pulling over, getting his bike out and riding past everyone in traffic.

fiamme red
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
I suggested staging an 'event' that could be repeated multiple times on the side of the road. One eventually involved having a group of bikes towing a car (I deemed this one too dangerous due to weight/braking issues) and another involved a guy just pulling over, getting his bike out and riding past everyone in traffic.Nothing would equal Hans Rey's stunt on 405. :D

http://www.hansrey.com/CD_photos/Freeway.jpg

WadePatton
05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
crimanimal mass is how i read it (video). check yo specks :cool:

There's not a freeway where I live. :banana:

Blue Jays
05-15-2008, 06:15 PM
"...crimanimal mass is how i read it..."Yep, you're 100% correct! :)

WickedWheels
05-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I love it!!!!!

In Boston there were some signs on Storrow Drive that said "If you lived here, you'd be home by now". These guys need something similar on their backs. Perhaps, "If you were on a bike, you wouldn't sitting still right now" or "I'll be home before you will be"

DRZRM
05-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Indeed, I've changed OP to reflect correction.

crimanimal mass is how i read it (video). check yo specks :cool:

There's not a freeway where I live. :banana: