PDA

View Full Version : The worth of a wheelset...

SoCalSteve
09-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

I have a friend who gave me a set of American Classic "V Rim" carbon wheels, circa 1995. They are in excellent condition, having only been used to race with a few times in triathlons. They have bladed spokes (18 front and 28 rear)and have American Classic hubs (at least thats what they say on the hubs).

Please tell me: what they might be worth on, lets say, ebay or any of the other boards. Also, whats the story with these deep dish carbon wheels? Are they faster than a regular wheelset? More comfortable? Or just stiffer? Noisy? Would they be good training wheels? Or just for race days? I can see how you would need really loooooong valve stems.

Has the technology improved greatly in the last 9 years? They seem to be very well made and pretty light. The front wheel is extremely light and the rear has an 8 speed D/A cassette on it (its much heavier than the front, of course).

Oh, they are clinchers (if this matters).

As always, thanks in advance,

Steve

Birddog
09-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Don't know their worth, but given their age and technological (weight/strength) advances, I'd venture a guess that they are really best suited for triathlons or time trials. Spoke count is a little low for everyday use, esp. if you are stout. You'll probably need valve extenders too. Deep rims are mostly used for an aero advantage, they sacrifice lightweight in lieu of aero, so not usually good for things like climbing, sprinting.
Birddog