PDA

View Full Version : Poll Custom Aluminum Scandium or Madone

hooverone
09-26-2004, 04:49 PM
OK so on the subject of aluminum frames get a custom aluminum scandium or a trek madone.

The main point of concern with the madone is the the head tube would be aobout 4 cm too short so I would need two cm of spacers and a stem that would rise 2 cm.

Also on the madone, to get a top tube in the correct lenght I would have to go with 60 cm instead of a 62.

Here is the link to the custom al builder http://www.gilmourbicycles.us/

The main issue I guess with the aluminum scandium is the bad rap aluminum gets and I have ridden a cannondale and It was not fun to ride; too stiff or I am too weak, dont know which.

pale scotsman
09-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Why have you narrowed it down to these two as they are so different? If Andy fits you you are going to get a better riding bike. Did you ride a Caad 7 Cannondale because they ride pretty darn good?

hooverone
09-26-2004, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=pale scotsman]Why have you narrowed it down to these two as they are so different? If Andy fits you you are going to get a better riding bike. Did you ride a Caad 7 Cannondale because they ride pretty darn good

I have narrowed it down to these two because on the one hand I want to get the bike from a local builder so then I think Gilmour, and he builds al and steel and I want something lighter than steel. The only thing against al is I am concerned about the harsh ride that al has the reputation of.

For the Madone I like the idea of buyin an off the peg bike and I like the Trek Madone and there is a good local shop minutes away from the house, but I would have to make compromises on the fit.

hooverone
09-26-2004, 05:49 PM
I have ridden a parlee and if money was no object I would be a custom parlee 3600 just for the frame, ouch.

Jim

rnhood
09-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Go with the Madone at 62. Use a shorter stem if you need to.

Peter
09-26-2004, 06:18 PM
It's obvious you wouldn't be satisfied with the Trek, no matter how you adapted it to fit.

It sounds like you WANT aluminum, and you WANT a local builder. I looked at the web site and he seems quite capable of building a quality frame. You NEED to give him a call to see if he can deliver an aluminum frame which will meet your needs. I'm sure he has knowledge of the ride qualities of the various materials he uses and will be able to recommend a solution.

Gilmour's order sheet is a little bit sparse on measurement details, so it's good you've picked a local builder-you can go direct to him and he can take your measurements. Or, if you're savvy to the particulars of body measurements i.e., how to measure the torso or arm length, you can bypass the vague descriptions with confidence.

Big Dan
09-26-2004, 06:28 PM
I agree with Peter, the AL/ Scandium frame is the way to go..
Now if Gilmour could build you a custom Tig welded Ultra Foco steel frame.... :banana: That my friend would be Awesome...

Climb01742
09-26-2004, 08:33 PM
to get a feel for how good scandium can be, see if you can test ride a team sc. that should put your mind at ease over scandium's ride qualities.

hooverone
09-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Now if Gilmour could build you a custom Tig welded Ultra Foco steel frame.... :banana: That my friend would be Awesome...

Can Ultra Foco be an every day bike everything from training to centuries, ride the rockies etc, or is only intended to be a race bike and not used for everything.

Does this tubeset ride nice or is it a bit harsh?

Jim

shinomaster
09-27-2004, 10:44 AM
If I could I'd get a custom aluminum, scandium or Starship frame from a big company like Orbea or from someone else who offeres a lifetime warrenty.

Big Dan
09-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Hooverone, I've been riding a Ultra Foco frame for the last year and have around 4,500 miles on it no problem. I can tell you the ride is a little softer than my lugged Serotta. The frame is a Cervelo Super Prodigy made somewhere in the Far East.. :eek: Also is size 56cm, I don't know what size you will need. I'm sure a skilled frame builder can do wonders with the tubeset. Also some other forum members may have other ideas.