PDA

View Full Version : OT: Classifieds feedback?

CarbonCycles
05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Folks,

Quick question...im tempted to pick up some schtuff on the classifieds board. Anyone know of any kind of feedback system for the buyers/sellers there? Some pretty good deals, but as they say, buyer beware.

R.

Pete Serotta
05-14-2008, 11:05 AM
There is no formal system..... Some good indicators are the number of posts and also the length of time they have been on the forum. lastly you can ask the forum of others experience with the seller.

TAW
05-14-2008, 11:06 AM
I've done quite a bit of business on the classifieds, and I've never once had a bad experience. I usually buy from guys who are established on the forum, not the first time poster. You can check their "reputation" by seeing how long they've been on the forum and how often they've posted and what's been sold.

Edit: I now see Pete beat me to the punch but with some added info.

whitecda
05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I have had great experiences buying off classifieds here. When it's all done later this year, a large chunk of my incoming Kirk will be from either parts from the classifieds, or advice from several forum members! I did have a miscommunication about a saddle recently, but was refunded fast-as-lightning when the error was found. No harm done.

Lifelover
05-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Well over a dozen transactions (all purchases) and nothing but great outcomes.

Never, ever a single worry.

PBWrench
05-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Lots of great experience; never a bad transaction. Good advice presented above re: # of postings, etc.

chuckred
05-14-2008, 11:58 AM
It was a good one!

d_douglas
05-14-2008, 02:45 PM
The Serotta that I bought on the Classifieds as advertised as in great condition and when I received it, i would have rated it near new. It was flawless.

People on this site tend to err on the side of caution, so if there are nicks and scratches or loose pivots or bear play, they say so and sell these things for what they are worth. I wanted a Mavic Crankset and a guy PMed me with one that was scratched up, then said he wanted $20 for it. I took it because he priced it according to what he felt it was worth - a reasonable amount.

I just take my chances with transactions, but have never been disappointed. Go for it.

Dave B
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
many great transactions here.

Bought two bikes from JB, (always a great idea if you fit his bikes) he is way to nice to deal with.

Flux is brilliant to deal with.

Sandy practically gives stuff away and it one of the most honorable people I have ever met.

There are so many fantastic people here to deal with it is a rarity for things not to go well. When they do, in the end the "community" does not tolerate it and resolution is only a few messages away.

While I can understand the cautiousness of someone newer to the experience, you have to realize this place is a true e-home for many of us. Whether we admit it or not, the trust value here is really special.

I say go for it.!

Cheers

Prez

DRZRM
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I'll jump on the bandwagon, all good transactions here. I often deal with folks who will ship an item before they get my check in the mail. It return, if it's a name I know, I'll do the same. That said, you should feel free to ask a seller for references from this, or another, community. I can't imagine anyone taking offense.

Louis
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Heh, heh (rubs hands with glee)

I can see that my plan of hanging around here since Dec '03 and posting all those inane things (all ten incarnations of my personality) is working. In another few years I'll be able to set up my huge scam and get what, $50 bucks?

Time well spent.

Louis

david
05-14-2008, 05:14 PM
this is the best classifieds section on earth.

i've sold a few frames and bought some parts and never had anything other than spotless transactions.

as stated above, the number of posts is a good indicator of how much a person values this site.

most heavy posters don't want to be called out for conducting a shady deal.

avalonracing
05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I bought a frameset from someone on the forum with a low post count. He did have a good ebay history though so I asked him to put a quick listing for it on ebay with no pictures and a buy it now option. I knew he wouldn't want to screw up his good ebay history so it was a good risk.

Everything worked out great.