PDA

View Full Version : Question on Carbon Seatposts.

Sandy
05-14-2008, 07:35 AM
I have two bikes, one with an aluminum seatpost and one with a carbon seatpost. I have two cars and can easily transport either bike (have not transported the new bike yet thus far) in the larger car (not so large) if I take off both wheels. My new car has much more limited space as it has no back seat (does have two trunks). If I am creative and careful, I can transport the bike by putting the wheels in the front trunk and the rest of the bike carefully in the reat trunk (and across the engine cover-mid engined car). In order to make the bike fit, I must take out the seatpost. That seems not to be a problem with the aluminum seatpost. After doing such repetitively (last year) I found that I needed to relubricate the aluminum post which was easily done. But my new seatpost on my new steel bike is carbon and from what I understand, I should not lubricate a carbon seatpost. Will I have any problem in taking out the carbon seatpost and putting it back in on a repetitive basis? If so what can I do to make it easier (want to use that post on that bike). I know that I can use the larger car, but prefer driving the smaller one, especially on longer distances to ride starts. Hope to go to Asheville and take my smaller car.

Thanks!

Seatpost Sandy

PS- Is it seatpost or seat post?????

1centaur
05-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Most people now say lubricating a CF seatpost is fine, just don't overdo it (I lubricate mine). The old fear was that the lubricant would break down the CF but that has proven untrue. Too much can make the post slip. Some advise dynamic assembly paste for this application (it comes under several names but is goop that has some tackiness to it so the post won't slip). I suspect this topic is searchable by Zinn on Velonews.

Climb01742
05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
sandy, have you considered swapping your carbon post for an alu one just for the summer travel season? if you are planning on taking the post in and out often, one other thing to consider is... it's less worrying to tighten an alu post repeatedly. no real worries of over-tightening it. might make for a more worry-free summer of travel. then in the fall, put your carbon post back in. just a thought.

Elefantino
05-14-2008, 08:31 AM
sandy, have you considered swapping your carbon post for an alu one just for the summer travel season? if you are planning on taking the post in and out often, one other thing to consider is... it's less worrying to tighten an alu post repeatedly. no real worries of over-tightening it. might make for a more worry-free summer of travel. then in the fall, put your carbon post back in. just a thought.
What Climb said.

Carbon posts are IMHO set and forget. Repeated loose-tighten-loose-tighten is just fatigue waiting to happen.

Besides, I'm still trying to be able to tell the difference between carbon and aluminum posts, ride-wise, at anything less than 300mm.

Keith A
05-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Sandy,

They are making lubricant for carbon now, take a look at this product Tacx Dynamic Carbon Assembly Paste (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-accessories/2008-tacx-dynamic-carbon-assembly-paste-3321_52_TRUE.html)...and you can read CC's review of this product here (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT_REVIEW&ARTICLE_ID=388&RETURN=Tacx%202008%20Tacx%20Dynamic%20Carbon%20Ass embly%20Paste%20page&RETURNLINK=%2Fza%2FCCY%3FPAGE%3DBUY_PRODUCT_STANDA RD%26PRODUCT.ID%3D3321%26CATEGORY.ID%3D52%26MODE%3 D%26TFC%3DTRUE)

zap
05-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Sandy-as others posted-get an al or ti post.

PBWrench
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Carbon anti-sieze compound is fine, but why toy with fate? Find an AL that matches your setback and aesthetics (Thompson Masterpiece in black is cool) and leave it that way for the summer. I ride mostly carbon posts, but truly for aesthetics -- I sure can't feel the difference. Have a great summer with King!!

gone
05-14-2008, 10:31 AM
I agree with the other responses on getting an aluminum post, especially if you're going to be removing and reinstalling often. It's unlikely that you're going to have a torque wrench with you when reinstalling so you'll be cranking it down "by feel" which means it's highly likely you're going to over tighten. Much less of a worry with an aluminum post.