PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh One Way

maunahaole
05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Anybody have experience with these? I'm looking at one this evening - it is partially stripped of parts (brakes, saddle, fenders), but has a moustache bar. I'm thinking a cool townie bike for beer runs and such.

SPOKE
05-13-2008, 08:35 PM
if you're talking about the 08 model with the Brooks saddle & leather bar tape then i have one. brand new never ridden. it's really a pretty neat package for a killer price. the standard bar offering is actually a regular drop bar with Brooks leather tape. too bad that most of the parts have been stripped off the one you're looking at. the stock bike would make a great townie. :beer:

maunahaole
05-13-2008, 08:47 PM
It's an '07, but I think it had a brooks saddle on it at one time, not that I'll be getting it. The asking price is somewhat reflective of the missing parts. I have most of what is needed to complete it in the inventory anyway.

Sasha18
05-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I've ridden one around a bit. Solid. Fairly comfy. For Twinkie runs, I would think it would be perfect.

You should also consider the Serotta Singolo paired with a fine F3 fork, of course. Choose your own custom color configuration using the new paint program.

maunahaole
05-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I have no doubt at all that the SINGOLO is an excellent rig. If I find myself really digging the one speed style, I would consider one.

I'm a little bit price sensitive right now, as I'm contending with an escrow and all of the assorted expenses that accompany one of those marvelous events.

maunahaole
05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
So I pulled the trigger on the Raleigh, 59cm black with a Nitto Albatross bar w/ cork grips and cloth tape. Looks to be in nice shape overall, now awaiting the remainder of parts to complete it and make it roadworthy. For those of you that ride around on a bike with track ends and nutted axles, what are you using for carry around tools (i.e. wrenches) for fixing flats out on the road? I looked at Sheldon's page on fixed/single for base knowledge - anything else to add, re: chain tension, etc. I'm really looking forward to storming around the neighborhood on this.

Joel
05-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I usually just carry normal allen wrenches for bars and seat pin and two tubes stuck under the seat (once you have a double flat you learn this :crap: ) and pump.

The add for the fixie is a peanut butter wrench for the 15mm axle nuts.

I had them put a water bottle on mine since that's kind of important here in central Florida.

Hope that helps.

Joel

Oh, and have fun! It's a blast!!

Fixed
05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
So I pulled the trigger on the Raleigh, 59cm black with a Nitto Albatross bar w/ cork grips and cloth tape. Looks to be in nice shape overall, now awaiting the remainder of parts to complete it and make it roadworthy. For those of you that ride around on a bike with track ends and nutted axles, what are you using for carry around tools (i.e. wrenches) for fixing flats out on the road? I looked at Sheldon's page on fixed/single for base knowledge - anything else to add, re: chain tension, etc. I'm really looking forward to storming around the neighborhood on this.
campy peanut butter wrench rest like a reg. road bike chain not overly tight
imho cheers

jvp
05-15-2008, 07:27 PM
If it comes with, or you add on chain tensioners, you will need to carry the right size wrench for them also. Most mini tools will have it.