PDA

View Full Version : Changing tubular Tires on the road

Acotts
05-13-2008, 01:47 PM
So, I have been having some clencher tube issues lately, and it got me thinking.

What do folks do, (and bring with them) to change a tubular tire while on the road?

I have changed my tires on my rims a couple of times; and if memory serves, it was a real bitch. I think I had to use a rag and some pliers. i do not ride with that kind of equipment on my bike.

Anyways, what do you guys do? What is your method? And whats the deal with using razor blades?

Acotts=Tube Noob

mister
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM
i carry a tire that i pulled off before it was worn badly. it is my spare. i put a fresh coat of glue on it then fold it and either keep it in my bag or use a spare toe strap to tie it under my seat.
a tire lever is nice.
work the tire lever under the tire, then use it to pry the tire off the rim around half the periemter of the rim. once that much is off, you can usually pull that half the tire off the rim then use you hands to carefully (so the basetape doesn't tear) pull the rest of the tire off.

then pull out your spare which should not have any dirt in the glue, a bag might help with that. and just slip it on the rim, align it good then air it up, check alignment and ride. the extra coat of glue you put on and which is now dry will let the tire adhere to the glue on the rim enough for regular easy pace riding. just don't corner like you are in a crit if your spare is on.

steven.k.davis@
05-13-2008, 02:23 PM
What "mister" said. That's exactly what I do.

Acotts
05-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Cool. I have both my old tires in special bags for back up. So I really just need to use a tire lever huh. That said, they got a fresh coat of glue, folded and stuffed in a bag two years ago and have not been used since. Hopefully, they stay that way.

Thanks for the help.

weatherman
05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
i carry a tire that i pulled off before it was worn badly. it is my spare. i put a fresh coat of glue on it then fold it and either keep it in my bag or use a spare toe strap to tie it under my seat.
a tire lever is nice.
work the tire lever under the tire, then use it to pry the tire off the rim around half the periemter of the rim. once that much is off, you can usually pull that half the tire off the rim then use you hands to carefully (so the basetape doesn't tear) pull the rest of the tire off.

then pull out your spare which should not have any dirt in the glue, a bag might help with that. and just slip it on the rim, align it good then air it up, check alignment and ride. the extra coat of glue you put on and which is now dry will let the tire adhere to the glue on the rim enough for regular easy pace riding. just don't corner like you are in a crit if your spare is on.

How long does that process usually take? Just curious, I've taken the plunge and am having my first set of tubulars built now--I'm excited to ride them, but a bit apprehensive of that first flat/issue. I plan to bring a spare (prepped as you note), but still kind of wonder............ :cool:

WadePatton
05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
How long does that process usually take? Just curious, I've taken the plunge and am having my first set of tubulars built now--I'm excited to ride them, but a bit apprehensive of that first flat/issue. I plan to bring a spare (prepped as you note), but still kind of wonder............ :cool:
Not long at all depending on how far the team car is behind you. :banana:

sorry, i shouldn't have. ;)

weatherman
05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Not long at all depending on how far the team car is behind you. :banana:

sorry, i shouldn't have. ;)

Exactly!! :D

Big Daddy
05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Exactly!! :D

your Audi doesn't count!

(wait a second, yeah it does.)

Bob Ross
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Glad to read a "real world" response to a question I've wondered about for a while.

A friend of mine bought a rather opulent new bike recently, complete w/ a set of ultra-swanky carbon tubulars. Since I know she does more weekend club riding than racing, I asked "What will you do if you get a flat on the road?"

She proudly whipped a can of some kind of glue out of her jersey pocket and showed it to me.

"Really?" I asked, "You can change a tubular tire on the side of the road?"

Her smile dimmed just slightly as she whipped her cellphone out of another pocket and held it in her other hand, while whispering "Taxi"

Acotts
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, it is just a matter of pulling off an old tire and mounting a new tire, then it cant take that much longer than clinchers.

But I assume that there may be more to "pulling off the old tire" than one may want.

Big Daddy
05-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Glad to read a "real world" response to a question I've wondered about for a while.

A friend of mine bought a rather opulent new bike recently, complete w/ a set of ultra-swanky carbon tubulars. Since I know she does more weekend club riding than racing, I asked "What will you do if you get a flat on the road?"

She proudly whipped a can of some kind of glue out of her jersey pocket and showed it to me.

"Really?" I asked, "You can change a tubular tire on the side of the road?"

Her smile dimmed just slightly as she whipped her cellphone out of another pocket and held it in her other hand, while whispering "Taxi"

Vittoria Pit-Stop, 2 co2 cartridges with trigger valve. cell phone.

EDS
05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, it is just a matter of pulling off an old tire and mounting a new tire, then it cant take that much longer than clinchers.

But I assume that there may be more to "pulling off the old tire" than one may want.

A razor blade can help speed up the process of removing the old tire: Cut the damaged tire and then use the end to give you some purchase to pull of the rest.

cadence231
05-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I use a tire lever as well.
I can change a tubular on the road faster than I can put in a new tube in a clincher tire on the road. :)

mister
05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
takes no longer than swapping tubes unless you have an unusually great glue job...then it can be tough.

NateM
05-13-2008, 05:13 PM
when not in use (2 yrs in a bag?) unless you want a lumpy tire,keep it round

Acotts
05-13-2008, 05:18 PM
when not in use (2 yrs in a bag?) unless you want a lumpy tire,keep it round

Thanks. This is why I ask.

bostondrunk
05-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Depends how well your original tire is glued on.
Regardless, I usually remove the skewer from the wheel, and use the thread end of the skewer to dig under the tire to get it started, then yank it off.
Sometimes my spare has some dry glue on it, sometimes it doesn't. I think people really believe that a tubular will just jump right off the rim if it isn't cemented on. That isn't the case. I'm not saying you should bomb into any corners, but in general the tire will stay on just fine, then you can re-glue when you get home.
That all said, I rarely have to do this, since I hardly ever flat on my tubies.

weatherman
05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
your Audi doesn't count!

(wait a second, yeah it does.)

Come on, its got a rack on the top--guess I will just throw my spare set of clinchers up there--now I just need a driver..... :D