PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Organization Best Practices

KJMUNC
05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Just getting settled into our new place and I finally have a place to call my own workshop. Previous owner was a cyclist and handyman, so he built a nice 8' workbench area with corkboard on three sides, shelving underneath, etc. Problem is he took all the hooks so I'm left with a blank canvas to start organizing my stuff.

Due to lack of space, I've always had to keep my tools in a tool box or a big plastic bin for spare parts. I've got pretty much the full range of cycling related hand tools, so does anyone have best practices or tips for hanging tools on corkboard and general shop organization?

bhungerford
05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
the little pegs to hang everything.

organization - keep the tools you use the most right in front and in easy reach, the odd ball stuff you've only used once go up high and harder to reach. so all your cone wrenches, allens, screwdrivers, easy to reach, and then spread out from there.

I also like to organize by type of tool, so my wheel tools are in one spot, bottom bracket/crank stuff in another section, headset stuff over there (you can't see there, but they are over there ;) ) etc etc

PaulE
05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Plenty of power outlets at both sides of the workbench, wired through a GFI. I have a box of 4 at both ends of mine. Hang a long fluorescent light fixture above the bench and get some other lights that you can easily move around. I use the cheap ones that have an aluminum dish, use a regular lightbulb and have a big spring clip so I can attach them to the overhead exposed floor joists and have light where I need it.

A good sized vise that both swivels and rotates, securely mounted to one end of the bench is also very useful.

Also, you may or may not want to put a clock on that pegboard to keep track of time and prevent some of those "I'm only going to be down here a couple of minutes" episodes that can turn into hours before you know it. :)

Ken Robb
05-13-2008, 11:20 AM
I hope you mean pegboard and not "corkboard" for hanging tools. :)

KJMUNC
05-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Sorry, I did mean peg-board and not cork-board.....that would be a disaster.

Would a hardware store stock a big grab bag of pegs to use? I've never paid attention to whether they have them or not since I haven't had the need.

MilanoTom
05-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I've seen a couple of pegboards with the tool outlines drawn, so it's easier to figure out where they all go.

Regards.
Tom

Hardlyrob
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
I've had a number of woodworking shops over the years, and currently build furniture as a part time business.

What I've found works for me is to be flexible on shop layout at first, and see what you are comfortable doing in what areas - kind of like when you first get into a remodeled kitchen - different tasks will feel better in different areas, and with different tools at hand.

The lighting is critical, and the 4 foot flourescents are really cheap - use them. I also strongly agree with organizing tools by how they will be used - the functional approach makes sense to me.

Good luck.

Rob

cadence231
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm working on getting a work area together as well.
In the past I have seen "grab bags" of peg hangers at the hardware store. I have seen them individually available as per need.

rePhil
05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
I prefer tool boxes. I downsized and am down to boxes my parents bought me in 1972, along with a smaller 3 drawer with bike specific tools.
Here's a pic of my dirty bench.

Bill Bove
05-14-2008, 12:05 PM
No peg board here. I hate grabbing a tool and having those stupid little hooks fall out and bounce around onthe floor and under the bench, I use a nails in plywood as a toolboard. Leave room for a trash barrel! Most people forget about that and wind up tripping over the damned thing all the time.