PDA

View Full Version : Black pro racers?

false_Aest
05-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey,

A friend of mine asked if there were any Black pro racers. I couldn't come up with one.

Anyone have a name?

Blue Jays
05-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Major Taylor or Nelson Vails.

Fixed
05-13-2008, 09:47 AM
rock racing bro sprinter
cheers

petitelilpettit
05-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Rashaan Bahati. Races for Rock Racing.
(Fixed beat me to it)

Also, Gregory Bauge, a French track sprinter.

The top two I could pull off the top of my head.

staggerwing
05-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Don't know at present, but it would be hard to eclipse Major Taylor.

KJMUNC
05-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Mederic Clain - ex-Cofidis rider

.....and about 95% of the riders in the Tour of Burkina Faso. Lots of people out there if you look hard enough.

Fixed
05-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Don't know at present, but it would be hard to eclipse Major Taylor.
marshall was a great racer and a great man
imho
cheers

El Chaba
05-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Yohann Gene and Rony Martias from Bouygues Telecom....

Fixed
05-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Yohann Gene and Rony Martias from Bouygues Telecom....
he looks french imho cheers

El Chaba
05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
he looks french imho cheers

..I think both of those guys are from French Guiana....

vaxn8r
05-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I clicked on this seriously thinking you meant Michellin's. Drives me crazy they only come in grey (though I hear the 3 series may come in black).

Fixed
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
..I think both of those guys are from French Guiana....
in the islands there is a history of fixed gears and track riders I heard .
cheers

El Chaba
05-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Elliott Hubbard (retired) was from Bermuda....and raced as a pro in Italy and then for Navigators....

Fixed
05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Elliott Hubbard (retired) was from Bermuda....and raced as a pro in Italy and then for Navigators....http://pipl.com/directory/people/Elliot/Hubbard
a smart cat too imho
cheers

Sasha18
05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Ivan Dominguez

Stephen Alfred (not really racing anymore thanks to his own love of banned substances)

avalonracing
05-13-2008, 12:56 PM
http://pipl.com/directory/people/Elliot/Hubbard
a smart cat too imho
cheers

A nice cat too. (Friend of a friend)

Innominatus
05-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Scott Berryman?

Not sure if he ever went pro after his Olympic career, though.

maccpres
05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Saw him in Tour de GA a couple years ago and Philly. He's in the movie PRO. He coached an organized a NRC team

shinomaster
05-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I clicked on this seriously thinking you meant Michellin's. Drives me crazy they only come in grey (though I hear the 3 series may come in black).

Grey tires are MP.

taylorj
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Ivan Dominguez

Stephen Alfred (not really racing anymore thanks to his own love of banned substances)

Ivan is Cuban.

Erik Saunders (though he is running a team as opposed to racing anymore.)

Fixed
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Ivan is Cuban.

Erik Saunders (though he is running a team as opposed to racing anymore.)
he's afro-cuban
cheers :beer:

inGobwetrust
05-13-2008, 09:04 PM
This subject has always puzzled me. I've always wondered why we don't see more black road racers. As far as I can tell minorities (of which I am one) like riding bikes just as much as anyone else. It's not like blacks or orientals are less athletic, right? I see a fair amount of representation from hispanics but I would think that there would be more there too. I know that there are going to be some socio-economic reasons but let's face it, sponsors want the best athletes on their teams, right? I would think that some of those elite athletes might just be out there waiting to be discovered and coached.

RPS
05-13-2008, 10:30 PM
This subject has always puzzled me. I've always wondered why we don't see more black road racers. As far as I can tell minorities (of which I am one) like riding bikes just as much as anyone else. It's not like blacks or orientals are less athletic, right? I see a fair amount of representation from hispanics but I would think that there would be more there too. I know that there are going to be some socio-economic reasons but let's face it, sponsors want the best athletes on their teams, right? I would think that some of those elite athletes might just be out there waiting to be discovered and coached.What is your definition of "Hispanic" as it relates to race? My answer would depend on who you consider Hispanic.

inGobwetrust
05-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Frankly I'm not too worried about labels and being overly PC. How about if we just say names that are of Spanish origin, okay? Yes, I'm mixing race and ethnicity, do we need to split hairs? Yeah, I know that may include people of European, South and Central American, North American, and maybe anywhere else as well but you get my point, don't you? I'm just asking why the vast majority of bike racers appear to be of caucasian descent, that's all.

rwsaunders
05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
King James owns part of a bicycle company.

RPS
05-13-2008, 10:52 PM
OK, so you'd include Spanish-named racers from Spain? Miguel, Roberto, etc. If you count those guys there are quite a few.

inGobwetrust
05-13-2008, 10:55 PM
OK, so you'd include Spanish-named racers from Spain? Miguel, Roberto, etc. If you count those guys there are quite a few.

Yeah, I said that Hispanics were fairly well represented. What's are you getting at?

RPS
05-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I see a fair amount of representation from hispanics but I would think that there would be more there too.I was just trying to understand how many more you want or think that there should be. :confused:

Regardless, I'm not going to argue this.

inGobwetrust
05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm just curious, that's all. More curious about why more black athletes aren't drawn to cycling than other groups. I'm not saying I want any more or less or think there should be some kind of quota. Why do you assume that that's my agenda?

BumbleBeeDave
05-14-2008, 06:40 AM
. . . black pro cyclists simply because there is no established tradition of it in most African countries. Other sports have simply predominated for whatever political or socio-economic reasons. It's far easier for kids in Nigeria or Rwanda to get ahold of a working soccer ball than it is a fleet of racing bikes. But if any pro teams would actively try to develop the talent that's there, you'd see giant strides and giant achievements. Look at Kenya . . . the finest marathon runners in the world. Stunning aerobic athletic achievements. Get those amazing athletes interested in cycling instead and it would be equally amazing on wheels. I'd love to see it.

BBD

Fixed
05-14-2008, 06:53 AM
bro okay you are a young strong black kid what do you do go play b.ball .f.ball
run track ...or ask mom for a $1000 bike?
cheers

inGobwetrust
05-14-2008, 08:05 AM
bro okay you are a young strong black kid what do you do go play b.ball .f.ball
run track ...or ask mom for a $1000 bike?
cheers

Good point but couldn't the same be said about any kid?

Fixed
05-14-2008, 08:57 AM
bro if papa rides baby does too
no papa no ride for baby
imho

xjoex
05-14-2008, 09:41 AM
I can't remember the dudes name but he rode as a pro for Nuke Proof in the 90s, James Bethea? He was in all the adds in Dirtrag back in the day.

-Joe