PDA

View Full Version : Titanium scratches

cschrein
09-26-2004, 12:47 AM
I thought I saw a post a while back on how to buff out scratches in titanium. I can't find it now. Any suggestions?

eddief
09-26-2004, 01:17 AM
green scotch brite hase worked really well for me. If they are bit deeper you can keep working at it and eventually they will get evened out. Just know that if you "burnish" in one spot it will tend to be brighter than the surroundings.

eddief
09-26-2004, 01:18 AM
green scotch brite hase worked really well for me. If they are bit deeper you can keep working at it and eventually they will get evened out. Just know that if you "burnish" in one spot it will tend to be brighter than the surroundings.

pale scotsman
09-26-2004, 08:12 AM
On a brushed finish the 3M 320 grit sanding sponges work great. Just go with the grain, and it'll take out the scratch. BTW make sure and use light strokes, and the trouble spot will look like new.

Michael Katz
09-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Be careful with Scotch Brite. Not all green Scotch Brite is the same grade. You want "very fine". In my area, this happens to come in grey! When using, always move in the same direction as the "grain" of the tubing. Going across the grain will cause you to sob uncontrollably as your frame takes on an appearance of having been in a cat fight. Do not use alot of pressure - be gentle. It will work though and look like new! Then use a good polish like Bike Lust or Pledge.

Jeff N.
09-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Scotchbrite. Gently. You can blend in with the existing finish by going lightly at the edges of the blemish in question. And yes, go with the grain. Jeff N.