PDA

View Full Version : OT Beta-Glucan & Cholesterol Control

keno
05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
I've changed internal medicine docs and recently had a physical. I have, and have always had, high cholesterol numbers. My recent blood tests show numbers almost identical with those of a few years back, cholesterol at 266, HDL has risen to 106 from 80, triglycerides have dropped from 72 to 39, while LDL is 152 down from 183.

My doc then, who was quite conservative, saw no need to put me on Lipitor, however, I want to be prepared if the new doc wants to. I want to avoid any more meds in my life, particularly concerning side effects.

My brief bit of research came up with something called yeast derived beta-glucan as a supplement that can drive LDL down over a short period of time and has no side effects. When I speak with my new doc, I want to have the best information I can have, including on this product, in order to have an intelligent discussion.

If you have any experience with yeast derived beta-glucan, including particular brands as they vary widely as to purity and efficacy, let me know.

Thanks,

keno

Sandy
05-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Don't know anything relative to your question, but noticed that your HDL is 106. That is very high, which I understand is very good. Although I think that doctors may have changed their thinking a great deal about how to interpret blood test and which to use relative to heart disease risk factors, but the ratio that is still used of total cholesterol divided by HDL would yield 266/106= 2.5 which is considered very good I believe. The ratio being in the 2+ range as a function of such excellent HDL.

Sandy

Chris
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm not that kind of doctor, but before I got on Lipitor or one of the others I would do a trial with cinnamon. My cholesterol runs around 230 and I started taking 1000mg of cinnamon each day and it dropped below 200 and has stayed there consistently.

Hardlyrob
05-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Beta Glucan is a polysaccharide (a bunch of sugar molecules strung together) that does have a direct impact on cholesterol levels. Beta Glucan is the substance in oats that allows Quaker and Cheerios to make the claims they do - it really does work, but the results vary from person to person.

Yeast do make Beta Glucan when they ferment carbs. I don't know anything specific about brands or efficacy. I do know that Guinness has a fairly high Beta Glucan level - that is one of the reasons the head is so stable. So that is one brand of yeast derived Beta Glucan that I would recommend! :)

Cheers!

Rob

znfdl
05-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Keno:

I too have bad cholesterol genes.

I have been using a combination of Zetia and Niaspan with no side effects. My body cannot tolerate statins. My numbers are similar to yours, but, my ratio is 2.2 which is in the good range. This combination has reduced my LDL by 100 points to from 290 to about 190. HDL runs consistently just below 90.

Zetia prevents the absorption of cholesterol in the colon.

Nispan is a time release version of Niacin which I believes flushes the liver.

Good luck.

bostondrunk
05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
I believe the yeast thing was marketed under "Red Yeast Rice Extract".

My understanding is that it only works if it is made in a certain way (fermented, etc), and that the companies making it were told they weren't allowed to make it that way anymore since it was essentially mimicking cholesterol drugs.

"The FDA has ordered the makers of the red yeast rice products in question to stop marketing the supplements. Red yeast rice is often promoted and sold on Web sites."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-yeast-rice/CL00037

Tom
05-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Oatmeal. Lots and lots of oatmeal. I'm not kidding. It works for some people.

bostondrunk
05-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Oatmeal. Lots and lots of oatmeal. I'm not kidding. It works for some people.

Yeah, but the real stuff tastes gross unless you add a ton of sugar to it!!

keno
05-13-2008, 09:31 AM
From what I see in my historical numbers, which have improved in the past four years, my age, 66, my high level of physical activity, and no need for a drug then, I see no reason to begin a regimen that was not seen as necessary four years ago just because some docs have gotten even more conservative as a result of insurance considerations. If my new doc does, I will first present the oatmeal, and related, possibilities for what appears to me to be a non-problem. I have started in the last few weeks to make my breakfast a large bowl of oatmeal with nuts, raisins and maple syrup. I guess for me the oatmeal is more tolerable, even if I had to eat it plain, than say for bd, but the maple syrup and raisins bring it well beyond tolerable.

Thanks, again.

keno

Hardlyrob
05-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Don't forget the Guinness!

keno
05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm quite spoiled on that subject. I went to Ireland about eight years back to play the golf courses in the Ring of Kerry. One of my fondest memories was a few, maybe more as memory fails on this point, Guinesses shared with two local village priests, who I played with, endlessly curious about why a Jewish boy like me would come to Ireland to play golf. The Guiness over there has no equal over here. It doesn't stop me from persisting in getting it here, but it always falls short.

keno

Hardlyrob
05-13-2008, 09:52 AM
That's very true about Guinness here.

What they have to do to get it into a can, and survive the trip here more or less intact is a far cry from it on draft in Ireland.

Draft Guinness here should be the same though - as long as the bar has both nitrogen and CO2 in the draft system.

Cheers!

Rob

jasond
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
cholesterol at 266, HDL has risen to 106 from 80, triglycerides have dropped from 72 to 39, while LDL is 152 down from 183.

Since your LDL is way above normal I would assume you eat a lot foods with Saturated fat. Stay away from red meats and start eating chicken. Keep away from any foods or condiments that have saturated fats. Normal intake of Sat fat should be around 14 to 20 grams a day. Total Calories from fat (Sat Fat and Unsat fat) should not be more than 30 to 33% of total calories for the day. So if you take in 2000 calories for the day the total calories from fat should not be more than 660.

I've actually done a lot of research regarding this issue because my Cholesterol is fairly high at 239. My problem is my triglicerides are WAY to high, from beer of course.

Jay

WadePatton
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
After reading The China Study-The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted by Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas Campbell II, I've changed my eating habits and though I haven't checked it yet, suspect my blood cholesterol has plummeted.

It is an enlightening read. It explains very well how/why we are completely confused as to health and nutrition in this country.

I can't recommend it highly enough. I'm lighter, stronger, faster than ever and I'm just getting started, and I'm not 100% "program" nor do I expect I'll ever be.

But if we're not careful the thread will get deleted so PM me for further discussion. I won't argue, just relate. It's your choice.

thejen12
05-14-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm not that kind of doctor, but before I got on Lipitor or one of the others I would do a trial with cinnamon. My cholesterol runs around 230 and I started taking 1000mg of cinnamon each day and it dropped below 200 and has stayed there consistently.
Do you have any literature or study links on cinnamon? My sister recommended that I take it because I'm always cold, have low body temperature and my blood pressure is low. I tried it, and after a couple of weeks I really did feel wamer! However, I also caught two colds during that time, which is very unusual for me. It might have been a coincidence, but cinnamon was the biggest change in my life so I stopped taking it (and no more colds). A couple of baby aspirin has the same effect, but it only lasts a few hours, the cinnamon seemed to keep me warm continuously. Therefore, I'm very curious about it. I guess I'll have to check my cholesterol before and after, if I try it again.

Thanks, Jenn

Chris
05-14-2008, 01:53 PM
I work at a heart hospital. One of the nurses was reviewing literature on diabetes research and found that in some large Scandinavian study on blood sugar, everyone who took cinnamon experienced a drop in their cholesterol. We did a pilot study at the hospital and pretty much across the board, those who took the cinnamon experienced a slight increase in their cholesterol numbers the first month and then a decrease from there. That was my experience too. The theory is that it has something to do with metabolizing the blood sugar. I'm a shrink so I am not a real doctor and can't speak too intelligibly about the topic other than to say that it works for me and the couple of months that I was not so good at taking the cinnamon, my values went back up.

As far as having colds, I haven't noticed anything like that personally or heard any other complaints. Correlation doesn't always equal causation...