PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the closet!

Lifelover
05-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm afraid to ride fixed! There, I said it.

I ride SS on road 40% of the time, Va Beach is pancake flat. What concerns me is my mass. Simple physics tells you that stopping 250 lbs is exponentially more difficult than 180. Much of my buying is impulse driven so my wheels are Bonty Areo XXXlite (?) track rims. Not ideal for the weight I assume.

Any other big guys ride fixed and is it worth the troubles/risk compared to SS?

Does riding fixed significantly affect the load transfer on the wheels?

Any suggestions? Pedals, Gearing.

I may not change based on any recommendations but I would love to hear them.

Ray
05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Well, I'm not that big, but I can't imagine the dynamics are that different for a big guy, relative to how you ride a freewheeling bike. The load transfer on the wheels shouldn't be any different (except when you forget you're on a fixie and try to coast, but that's a mistake you won't make very often, particularly on flat ground). Sheldon Brown was one of the all-time fixed gear proponents and he was a very large guy, so I just don't see why it would be an issue. If you're worried about stopping, don't ride without a brake. I've really found the rear brake to be totally unnecessary and even counter-productive on a fixie, but if you already have one on your single speed, it's not gonna hurt anything to have it there. But a front brake takes the drama out of it. And on flat ground like VA Beach, you'll probably find you don't use it very much once you get used to the fixie.

Give it a try. You'll probably love it and, if you don't, not much has been lost. Just use the brake and work up to stopping with back pressure. That can be a bit hard on the knees at first and that's one place where weight might be more of an issue. So use the brake and introduce the back-pressure slowly until you get used to it.

-Ray

Volant
05-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Well, I'm not that big, but I can't imagine the dynamics are that different for a big guy, relative to how you ride a freewheeling bike. The load transfer on the wheels shouldn't be any different (except when you forget you're on a fixie and try to coast, but that's a mistake you won't make very often, particularly on flat ground). Sheldon Brown was one of the all-time fixed gear proponents and he was a very large guy, so I just don't see why it would be an issue. If you're worried about stopping, don't ride without a brake. I've really found the rear brake to be totally unnecessary and even counter-productive on a fixie, but if you already have one on your single speed, it's not gonna hurt anything to have it there. But a front brake takes the drama out of it. And on flat ground like VA Beach, you'll probably find you don't use it very much once you get used to the fixie.

Give it a try. You'll probably love it and, if you don't, not much has been lost. Just use the brake and work up to stopping with back pressure. That can be a bit hard on the knees at first and that's one place where weight might be more of an issue. So use the brake and introduce the back-pressure slowly until you get used to it.

-Ray

+1

So true on the knees point.

medici
05-12-2008, 11:53 PM
+1

So true on the knees point.

And I thought I was the only one who felt the backpressure in my knees!
I tried for a season not to use my brakes. Ultimately decided it was stupid
and now use them normally.

Yup, you should definitely have at least a big guy front brake. I go 195#
at my heaviest and find no difference between geared and fixed otherwise.
Once you get comfortable (and stop trying to coast), it'll be as relaxed as
riding your geared bikes on the flats. Only more fun.

Pete

Louis
05-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Simple physics tells you that stopping 250 lbs is exponentially more difficult than 180.

Actually, this is not correct. Kinetic energy is 1/2 M V^2 so the energy you need to convert into heat at the brakes or absorb with your muscles (if fixed w/ no brakes) is linearly proportional to mass (or weight, same thing in this case). It is proportional to the square of the velocity, so twice as fast is four times as much energy (for the same mass).

So there, now you have no excuse :)

Louis

Ray
05-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Actually, this is not correct. Kinetic energy is 1/2 M V^2 so the energy you need to convert into heat at the brakes or absorb with your muscles (if fixed w/ no brakes) is linearly proportional to mass (or weight, same thing in this case). It is proportional to the square of the velocity, so twice as fast is four times as much energy (for the same mass).

So there, now you have no excuse :)

Louis
I woulda said what he said if I coulda!

But what I'll add to my earlier post is that when I go to the beach in the summer, which is the only time I seem to have flat rides available, the fixie is the ONLY bike I bring. I rarely ride it on the big hills anymore, but on flat ground, it's the only thing that really keeps cycling fun anymore. So you really should at least TRY it if you live in VA Beach. Seriously. If I lived at the beach, I'd get a bike with two cogs and two chain-rings so I'd have two gears, one for headwinds and one for tailwinds. I've never wanted more than two gears at the beach and never NEEDED more than one.

-Ray

RIHans
05-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Simple, smooth, quiet. I ride it in the dirty spring, easy to clean, work on the pedal stroke, etc. Rode mine last week in the rain...again, easy to clean after.

But, it has brakes. Gotta have some brakes. No question here in RI. Lotta traffic.

ericspin
05-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Just use brake(s). I cannot tell you how fun fixed riding is. It can be a real head game at first but let your body take control and quiet your brain.

Climb01742
05-13-2008, 05:26 AM
i prefer single-speed too. yep, i'm a wuss about riding fixed, but for me, the combo of simplicity and no-worries, no-thinking of SS just trumps the added benefits of going fixed.

ericspin
05-13-2008, 08:22 AM
i prefer single-speed too. yep, i'm a wuss about riding fixed, but for me, the combo of simplicity and no-worries, no-thinking of SS just trumps the added benefits of going fixed.

Climb, I love ya man but you're just plain wrong here IMHO.

SS doesn't give you that flywheel effect. Sorry, don't mean mean to overuse a cliche (did I say the say the same thing twice). I thought SS was the way to go also. I did it ONCE. Fixed it and never looked back. I'm tellin you once you get used to how to use brakes with a fixie (don't throw anything at me) it's ALL GOOD.

You just gotta try it.

Also, my knees are better off riding fixed, it's all about the gearing ..........oh, and the brakes. Did I mention the brakes?

Climb01742
05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Climb, I love ya man but you're just plain wrong here IMHO.

SS doesn't give you that flywheel effect. Sorry, don't mean mean to overuse a cliche (did I say the say the same thing twice). I thought SS was the way to go also. I did it ONCE. Fixed it and never looked back. I'm tellin you once you get used to how to use brakes with a fixie (don't throw anything at me) it's ALL GOOD.

You just gotta try it.

Also, my knees are better off riding fixed, it's all about the gearing ..........oh, and the brakes. Did I mention the brakes?

eric, i gotta confess, i'm just spooked because i have tweaky knees to begin with. i did try riding fixie a few years ago, but i honestly didn't give it a fair try. i dig going single speed. maybe this fall i can work up the nerve. i've just had so many knee issues over the years.

flydhest
05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I have ridden fixed weighing everything from 225+ to 180.
It is, for me, a completely different experience than riding SS. I have a beater that is SS and it is fine for that--shopping, commuting in the rain, etc. Riding fixed is just a different activity.

The thing about weight, in my view, is tires. Get at least 25s. The extra volume is useful as you will, for a while, be less good at avoiding bumps and potholes and less good at unweighting on them. They will help your wheels, but I gotta say those wheels are an ~interesting~ choice for recreational riding around on a single speed. but hey, if you're having fun, that's what matters.

I do not ride with a brake. I do not suggest that anyone ride brakeless, however. That said, I only notice a very small difference in stopping with 45+ pounds off. I'm not sure how big a deal it would be if I used a brake, probably less of one.

I'm afraid to ride fixed! There, I said it.

I ride SS on road 40% of the time, Va Beach is pancake flat. What concerns me is my mass. Simple physics tells you that stopping 250 lbs is exponentially more difficult than 180. Much of my buying is impulse driven so my wheels are Bonty Areo XXXlite (?) track rims. Not ideal for the weight I assume.

Any other big guys ride fixed and is it worth the troubles/risk compared to SS?

Does riding fixed significantly affect the load transfer on the wheels?

Any suggestions? Pedals, Gearing.

I may not change based on any recommendations but I would love to hear them.

RocketDog
05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I haven't taken the time to figure out the dynamics of the whole thing, but I do know that stopping via backpressure (not skidding) is easier for me when I have a full load in my messenger bag. Maybe the extra mass isn't such a bad thing.

benb
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Just make sure you get "good" brake(s) with lots of stopping power.

The "flywheel" effect greatly increases braking distances IMO. Also harder to get your weight way back on a fixie for a hard emergency stop.

No need at the track, not really a big deal if you're going 10mph.

If you're hauling at 20+ mph and a car pulls out in front of you it's quite a bit scarier then on a road bike.

I had a canti front brake on my fixie, didn't have a rear, I had a couple heart stopping moments when a car ran a red light, brake checked me, etc.. when I was at speed. An even better canti/v-brake/disc pair would have helped a lot.

I ran 700x28s, and I'm usually in the 170-180lb range. If the roads are bad the fixie will beat you up more a bit more then a geared bike.

Fixed
05-13-2008, 09:40 AM
I have ridden fixed weighing everything from 225+ to 180.
It is, for me, a completely different experience than riding SS. I have a beater that is SS and it is fine for that--shopping, commuting in the rain, etc. Riding fixed is just a different activity.

The thing about weight, in my view, is tires. Get at least 25s. The extra volume is useful as you will, for a while, be less good at avoiding bumps and potholes and less good at unweighting on them. They will help your wheels, but I gotta say those wheels are an ~interesting~ choice for recreational riding around on a single speed. but hey, if you're having fun, that's what matters.

I do not ride with a brake. I do not suggest that anyone ride brakeless, however. That said, I only notice a very small difference in stopping with 45+ pounds off. I'm not sure how big a deal it would be if I used a brake, probably less of one.

can't add to that fly is the man imho
cheers

Lifelover
05-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Sounds like as long as I keep the brakes on the bike it should not be a big deal.

All/most of my riding that I would do on a Fixed Gear Road bike is either with groups (4 to 40) or very urban with allot of stops, corners and traffic.

I'm just very hesitant to change anything that I perceive as being less safe/user-friendly.

The bike that I'm currently using as my true Road Fixie clearly is not the perfect choice for the task. Typically, Fixies seem to be on the more rugged side with room for fat tires. I've have ended up with a CF (Aegis Aro Svelte) that will only except 25s. As I said the wheels were purchased on impulse. The bike looks great and I really enjoy it but it is more "bling" than utilitian.

I'm in the process of building a more solid, fat tire, geared urban assault type bike so I'll going to have to stick with the Aegis for a while.

I assume I would want to start with a lower gear than I'm running free (49 X 17 I think). It's a flip/flop hub so maybe I'll order a 19 cog and give it a try.

Fixed
05-13-2008, 09:47 AM
cool bro fat tire fix = easy track stands imho
cheers

vaxn8r
05-13-2008, 09:55 AM
...All/most of my riding that I would do on a Fixed Gear Road bike is either with groups (4 to 40) or very urban with allot of stops, corners and traffic.

I'm just very hesitant to change anything that I perceive as being less safe/user-friendly....
I personally wouldn't trust a group of 40 on a fixed gear ride, especially if many have no brakes. You gotta know some of them are not going to be experienced, including you. Recipe for disaster.

Fixies are OK for solo or a couple a guys or for people that have gobs of experience in a group ride.

Get brakes. Makes stopping a non issue. Some places it's against the law to ride a bike without a brake so check your area. "But officer, my legs are the brakes" won't help after you blow through that stop sign.

Der_Kruscher
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Why are some people apologetic about not enjoying the whole fixed gear experience? Either you like it or you don't. I tried it a few years back and found that it didn't really do anything for me and I didn't really want to have to work to try to enjoy it. Same as with racing, no need to apologize if you don't like it or do it...you're no less a cyclist:) There, off my chest...