PDA

View Full Version : Rollers...

Dekonick
09-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Not that it matters...but I finally can ride em for 20 minutes without taking a trip across the room (well, I actually dont go anywhere, I just burn the rug.)

It must use different muscles than usual riding too, as I was a little sore (only in my rear).

Anyone have tips on tires to use? I am guessing these are gonna eat rubber far faster than other trainers...

ALSO - just curious -
what speed do you usually ride?
What RPM?

kestrel
09-25-2004, 08:46 PM
I have been riding rollers on and off for 10 years. I have found I enjoy the fixie on them more than any other bike. As for tire size, I usually run 25's, but I don't see much difference in wear from using the same bike on my windtrainer. Can't give you much input on speed, I just ride them for a set period of time with a heart monitor, speed and distance are unimportant to me. Very seldom ride for more than an hour. I always ride with a hugh box fan in front of me. (30 dollar variety at WallyWorld or similar place.)
I still can't start without holding something for balance. Any tips on getting going without assistance?

djg
09-25-2004, 10:40 PM
I suppose I was riding Michelin Carbons last winter, and winter coincides with greater roller use, but the drums are pretty smooth and didn't seem to burn the tires too fast. Obviously it will wear FRONT tires faster than trainers on which the front tire doesn't do anything ...

As for speed: pretty misleading, depending on the rollers. I use HR and time when I'm paying attention, but don't put much stock in mileage or mph readings. I vary both gearing and rpm. I cannot really get too low on the poly-lytes--need a certain RPM to stay smooth (and upright)--but I use a pretty good range.