PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old Colorado TG

VTCaraco
05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm curious what you folks would say a 15 year old Colorado TG is worth.

I realize that it's a bit dated in materials and not even super high-end within the Serotta line-up, but I have the chance to get one for what seems like a good deal.
I'd appreciate whatever perspective you might be able to offer on exactly what I'd be getting from the perspective of functionality.
I should add that I'm a fairly big rider (a little over 200 lbs, longer arms and torso but not freakishly so) but a fairly smooth rider. I've been cycling for 15+ years and dumped my road bike in favor of a cross bike a few years ago. I appreciate the versatility and don't see an efficiency compromise that really bothers me given my interests and the local terrain (lots of dirt roads and hills that are tougher than I remember them being when I was in college).
So this would be a return to a true road bike in my favorite brand ;-)

Thanks,
mike

Pete Serotta
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
It really depends on condition, equipment on it, and rush to sell. Suggestion would be to put it on e-bay and see.

VTCaraco
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm sorry.
I must have been unclear in my post.

I'm asking what folks think it might be worth.
I'm interested in buying the bike.

It's Shimano 600 build (Campy Omega 19 rims) and Reynold Ouza fork. Owner says that the headset should probably be replaced, but other than that seems fine.

regularguy412
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
I bought a TG of about the same vintage last year. It was built up with Shimano 600 and Ultegra 8-speed STI stuff. It has the original fork, which, I believe, is aluminum with a steel steerer. Also had Mavic Open 4 CD clincher rims. It was in pretty good shape, except for a few minor paint scratches. I paid $500.

If the one you're looking at is in excellent shape, I'd expect it to bring at least as much, given that the Reynolds carbon fork is worth approx $300, alone.

Mike in AR :beer:

avalonracing
05-12-2008, 08:12 PM
An old housemate of mine had a TG. He liked the right but it was a pretty heavy bike. It might make a nice riding bike but if you like the hill country you might look for something lighter as a primary bike (if you ride with others).

thwart
05-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I own one, so I keep my eyes open... a '94 frame/fork/HS identical to mine sold on eBay for $385 a month or two ago. Average condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110231688472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

I love mine---very smooth ride and yet stiff enough to sprint and climb well. The frame is actually a little small for me, but I like it so well it gets a fair amount of miles. It's the one with Tange Prestige tubes. The steel fork on mine is great---I wouldn't replace it with carbon.